Menu

Which Programs will you be Sticking With?!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will continue with these items next year:

Easy Grammar

Vocabulary for the College Bound (Amsco)

Latin Primer/Grammar series

Various Barron's books for Spanish (and I'm going to use some online resources, too)

For Algebra II, we're using a book by the same Brown who co-wrote the Brown, Dolciani series of books (which we used for Algebra I)

I will go on the record and say... absolutley none of them. :lol:

We are leaving the K12 Virginia Virtual Academy, and going back to "our own thing." I have listed our new courses below.

Abeka Phonics is a repeat for the 4th time... but I'm looking at OPGTR, because dd seems "stuck" with Abeka, but not "stuck" with the OPGTR samples. So, I may use that.

Other "repeats" are all Abeka (health, penmanship, spelling, reading)

Everything else is brand, spanking NEW for our family.

TOG

MM

LOF

Analytical Grammar and JR AG

Atelier - If we can swing it!

Phonetic Zoo

Lively Latin BB2 - Probably moving oldest into Latin Alive

Phonics Pathways for younger two

Just checked out Right Start Math for youngers and love it

I have really enjoyed

The Sentence Family (the kids are asking to do it again this summer for fun), it's what we started with at the beginning of the year when neither of them knew a thing about parts of speech)

MCT (We followed it up with MCT Island and they now love a fish names Mud) .. not to mention I had a 7 year old doing 4 part sentence analysis and understanding it all just fine.

R&S English (it pretty much taught itself)

MM has been such an eye opener having come from Saxon at ps. We have loved it.

The Geography Coloring Book - has been very fun for them. They love reading and coloring all of the border and countries.. it also has broken down each country by rivers, mountain ranges and plains. They have enjoyed it. I don't think we are half way through it and we mix it with other geography skills.

Lively Latin has been loads of fun and we will be continuing with it next year.

I am loving the progym. exercises we have begun with WT1. We will move into CC next year using the same approach to classical writing.

OH... and I can't forget WWE. They all have learned so much about copywork, dictations and retelling stories back to me. I love that they read an excerpt from one of the books for their weekly assignment and next thing you know they are checking the whole book out of the library!

I would love a link to this Geography Coloring Book!:D Pretty please....

I'm sticking with most of what we're using right now...

Analytical Grammar

Lightning Lit

Latin Prep

Vocab From Classical Roots

Apologia Science

MOH for the 13yo

We're switching writing, Spanish (because we're finishing GSWS), and math.

Herehttp://http://www.amazon.com/Geography-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0131014722/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305350842&sr=8-1 is the one I have. Sorry I don't know how to make it pretty.

Not sure if it's the same one.

Links are great, no matter what they look like, but if you want to make them pretty, it's actually easier than you would think: When you first paste it in and click 'OK', there will be part of it highlighted. You can replace that highlighted part with whatever text you would like the link to read.

We'll be sticking with may of the same resources and strategies.

Resources we'll continue w/ on to the next level: TT, SOTW w/Kingfisher, Spellwell, Drawsquad.

Styles or strategies we'll continue: the WTM way of writing (narrations, dictation, outlining, summarizing) and literature, geography (using puzzles, Sheppard software, and memorization), memory work (poetry), science via living books, and Bible.

The only thing I'm looking to change for next year is grammar (would like an online/software program like TT). I'm also going to add in either Spanish, sign language or piano - not sure which yet.

Also, I'm going to re-listen to SWB's writing lecture for Logic stage. I want to make sure I'm on target and upping my expectations appropriately.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

Life of Fred

Bravewriter

Possibly NOEO - Ds has really enjoyed Chemistry, but if they don't get Level III Physics and Biology out soon I'll have to look for something else.

ETA: Our style is classical Charlotte Mason, and it's worked well for us. We'll be sticking with it.

Edited by floridamom

BJU. I have put them in BJU in everything and we are staying with it. I have figured out how to work around some of the things that I haven't liked about textbook curr before, I really DO like BJU and I have made a decision that we will be staying with it through high school if I can afford it. That is always the kicker.

I think that says a LOT about a curriculum, honestly! I was having an internal debacle about Language Arts and just realized today that what we've been using has really worked well for us. The part he didn't like was the writing and I think he'd be that way with ANY program. All the other components were SPOT ON so I placed our order for K12's LA5 earlier today!!! :D I also ordered the 5A materials for Singapore since we'll be finishing up 4B in a couple weeks. We finished SOTW2 last week and will continue with SOTW3 (sitting on my shelf) after we take a short hiatus to complete our timeline work from the very beginning since we haven't been keeping up with a timeline (and listen to the audio CDs up to through the end of SOTW2 since we just got them...)

I'd just like to see what other people use and continually go back to... :)

We'll probably stick out Saxon Algebra 1/2 until we finish the book. We're only about 1/3 of the way through it.

I will definitely be continuing with Writing with Skill, which we Beta tested. In fact I liked it so much and saw so much improvement with the older boys' writing that I'm passing up an IEW coop opportunity. I would have jumped at the chance to do IEW a couple years ago.

I think everything else is up for grabs. I need to finish unpacking our boxes of books from storage and do some hard thinking about how to do exploration and the modern era.

I have been sort of happy with our switching between Sonlight and WTM. But I also feel like I'm missing some spark by going back and forth rather than just wallowing in one of them. And I need to figure out if we'll do all of modern in one year or do two (with the second being ds #1's freshman year).

(I know I will not be doing the same science we started with. I may go ahead and continue with the read and outline process we've been doing for the last several months.)

We'll be sticking with:

Moving Beyond the Page - My youngest son loved this and so did I. We will be using it next year, and I hope for many more years.

SOTW on audio - Again my youngest son loved this. He had no interest in history until I started playing these everyday. We have listened to SOTW 1 and 2 this year, and I hope to get through 3 and 4 next year.

K12 Literature - My twins loved K12 for literature. Unfortunately you have to buy the language arts course, and we never used the grammar or vocabulary components, but their literature program is great.

Megawords - Finally a spelling program that is working for my oldest son. He has struggled for so long, and to see him actually making progress this year has been wonderful!

LOF

Yep, just one thing. I tossed everything else and went back to the drawing board. When I took my son back out of school back in Nov (after a short failed 3 month trial), I didn't want to just throw him back to seat work, but my husband insisted he do something. So I adopted a Charlotte Mason/Montessori/Living Books approach and it worked SO well that I decided to switch everything up. And that is what I have been working on.

My husband teaches several subjects on the weekend, and he is keeping all of his books:

Henle

Latina Christiana II

Fr. Laux Religion texts

The Vine and The Branches (Our Holy Faith)

Mass & The Sacraments (OLVS)

Draw Real People

Tan Bible History

MP Traditional Logic

Definitely....

Heart of Dakota!!!!!!!

Rod & Staff English

Math Mammoth (for at least oldest)

ClickNRead / Phonics Pathways for DS7

The Reading Lesson, Little Hands to Heaven, and Teach Me Joy for DS4/5

Visual Latin

and attempting to start Latin's Not So Tough..again :)

Guest Taeda Lisa

I love reading about what has worked long-term for others.

We will be sticking with:

Rod & Staff Grammar

Spelling Workout (for the visual learners)

ABeka Arithmetic (elementary years)

Chalkdust Maths (upper maths)

SOTW

WWE

Apologia Science (middle and high school)

Visual Link Spanish

Latina Christiana & Henle Latin

WTM foundations for History and Literature

I've never found a satisfactory elementary science curriculum (looking for this next year still), and have tried TOG, Sonlight, and Biblioplan for history as well as putting together my own. Writing has been another tough one for me. I outsourced with the oldest and found a tutor in high school. Thanks for sharing.

WWS-we beta tested it and LOVED it. I can't even express how much we love it. It is one of only two curric I have ever used w/out tweaking! It is just amazing.

CLE/MM combo for math

SOTW-I'm going into my SIXTH year using this! (First for older dd for 1-4 and then started over with ds).

WWS-we beta tested it and LOVED it. I can't even express how much we love it. It is one of only two curric I have ever used w/out tweaking! It is just amazing.

CLE/MM combo for math

SOTW-I'm going into my SIXTH year using this! (First for older dd for 1-4 and then started over with ds).

Can you tell me how you combine CLE and MM for Math? I am considering combining them this year for my 2nd gr. and 6th grader. How do you do the lessons? Do you do both books each day?

The only one I'm positive we're sticking with is: MUS.

Yes, finally I have a program he can live with and thrive with, so I am not touching that again. He will go all the way through with it. :party:

We're staying w/ BJU Science through 8th (started it in 6th), then not sure where to go at that point, but happy I don't have to decide now.

Also staying with BJU history a second year; that was my plan. I wanted two-year world history instead of four-year, so I picked BJU 6 and 7 and have been happy with 6th this year, although we did a lot of supplementing.

Planning TTC and IEW starting next year and hoping to be able to say we'll stick with those as well...

• 6 months later...