Menu

SWR users that have switched to AAS

apple4

I am really hesitant to write this, but I need some input. I am a strong SWR supporter. Always have been and always will be. BUT, I have a child that does not like this program. I believe it is because she does not like to think or pay attention like the programs requires. She wants something easier, in my opinion. I am wondering if any of you are past SWR users that are using AAS and what your take on it is. Thanks, Amy

I can't really answer your question because I was considering the same thing. But I"ll bump this back up for you so hopefully someone can chime in that has made this switch. ;)

I have twins, one of which doesn't particularly care for the SWR method. She is a more natural speller, and she finds it tedious and boring. I did borrow AAS from a friend to look at, but ultimately I decided to stick with SWR. I have invested so much in SWR and I believe in the method strongly. I know even if I switched to AAS, I would still want to keep the marking system. So why pay for a newer, more expensive program to spend so much time tweaking it? :tongue_smilie:

Good luck with your decision! I hope someone can provide you some insight. :001_smile:

I am dealing with twins too. Both girls that look very much alike. They are in 3rd grade. We are finally reading chapter books. We had some visual issues and finished Vision Therapy last year. The twin that does not like SWR struggles a bit, but I see things coming around. Her sister is doing well with SWR and I am pleased. We are taking a break from it right now though. I have done the training for Orton Gillingham, Reading Works and SWR. They all are good but I like how SWR teaches and is laid out. I certainly believe in the methodology. I know that I may be dealing with some twin issues. I think it is common for one to excell and one to drift off. It is hard to compete all the time, so why try. And that is where she is, she doesn't want to try or work very hard. We are even thinking about sending her or both of them to school next year. I am not sure I could actually do it, but I did sign them up at a nearby charter school just in case.

I do think there is a possibity that if I tried a workbook type spelling program (which they want something like that), eventually they would say that SWR is much better. It might be worth a try.

Thanks for listening.

Amy

You say she doesn't like to think or pay attention like SWR requires? I think you'd probably have the same issue with AAS?

It sounds like a workbook program might be a good thing to try, if nothing else, to take a break from SWR.

Amy, when I read your post, I was going to ask if your dc has other problems. Now I see you mention the VT. Have you also considered dyslexia? At this stage, that's what I'd be asking. Well I guess I haven't seen your full explanation of what is going on. But in any case, you might find it helpful to google stealth dyslexia and do some reading. Also, I just started reading "The Mislabeled Child" which you also might find helpful.

VT made a huge difference for us in terms of functionality, but it wasn't like some lightning bolt. We put years and years into spelling. We did SWR and pulled in lots of other things. First, I think you need to identify whether there are some more labels that apply to this child. If there are, those labels (dyslexia, etc.) will help you understand why you need to do whatever it is you need to do. For us, we did what it took and then realized in retrospect why it was so HARD. No, my dd didn't like SWR. In fact, she's the one like they describe in the first chapter of that Mislabeled Child book where she thought she was dumb, thought she couldn't, etc. There's actually something that misfires and is negative about the process of SWR with my dd. It was like it was constantly a test, and of course if you don't know the answer on a test you're DUMB. So she concluded she was dumb and couldn't spell.

We did the Calvert spelling cds (which are now an online service), and they were marvelous for getting us over that hump. It's not that she learned so much but that she learned that she DID KNOW something, kwim? And we started doing large amounts of dictation, like a full page written a day. And we changed up things a lot. Instead of just dictating lists in the Wise Guide and doing the enrichments, I would dictate the sentences from the Wise Guide. Or I'd take a month off and do nothing but dictate from Winnie the Pooh or something equally interesting. (This was several years ago.)

At one point we were literally doing 3-4 spelling programs or things to work on spelling every single day! But it worked. What it boiled down to was that she just needs a LOT MORE use and seeing it in context and practicing it in context for things to stick. So where Sanseri says to go through the lists 2 years in a row, we would hit them *3* and STILL not have them down. No joke. I mean it was just unbelievable. And the answer was never in some single magic bullet program. It was about doing lots of writing, using the words lots of ways, and just letting that repeated use, over and over, finally make it gel.

Also, we changed the spelling culture in our house. I worked to make our SWR/dictation time more *positive* and affirming. Reward them when they DON'T know and ASK! Think about that. Dictation becomes a team effort, and when they ASK for help on word they don't know you reward them with skittles or something. Be available. Encourage correct spelling by being available, making it EASY for them to ask and quickly spell correctly. That was huge for us, because it clicked in her mind that she at least knew what she knew. She might not know all the words, but she could know when to ask, rather than just plowing impulsively ahead, kwim?

No, SWR straight is not some magical cure. It was another mom who had used WRTR (like SWR) who listened to my frustration and who told me to ditch the isolated word dictation and start getting it into literature dictation. SWR gets understanding, but it alone doesn't get you the rest of the way. After our VT I bought AAS1-6. I think AAS does a phenomenal job in instruction, and it has some definite virtues. However I'm not sure if it will really solve your problem. Try a level and see. I bought it because my dd, after VT (and after 6 years of SWR mind you) suddenly started asking me to remind her what sounds the letter C makes. I kid you not! At that point I just didn't have the heart to go back to SWR. We did AAS to see things afresh, from a new perspective. I LOVE the manipulatives for it. Love the way it presents the concepts, the way it shows syllabification, the way review is organized with the box, etc. For us though it was just filling in holes, holes she had because her brain had not been processing the information all those years with SWR. We literally had to start over. After a couple books she started flying, and we just put it aside and never did books 4-6. (There was just no need.)

Did that help any? Seriously, I'd do some reading about the stealth dyslexia and see where that gets you. If you want to get AAS, great. But I'd try to do spelling lots of ways (in dictation, in sneaky workbooks, with word searches, etc.) to get that overall, contextualized daily use up.

I am dealing with twins too. Both girls that look very much alike. They are in 3rd grade. We are finally reading chapter books. We had some visual issues and finished Vision Therapy last year. The twin that does not like SWR struggles a bit, but I see things coming around. Her sister is doing well with SWR and I am pleased. We are taking a break from it right now though. I have done the training for Orton Gillingham, Reading Works and SWR. They all are good but I like how SWR teaches and is laid out. I certainly believe in the methodology. I know that I may be dealing with some twin issues. I think it is common for one to excell and one to drift off. It is hard to compete all the time, so why try. And that is where she is, she doesn't want to try or work very hard. We are even thinking about sending her or both of them to school next year. I am not sure I could actually do it, but I did sign them up at a nearby charter school just in case.

I do think there is a possibity that if I tried a workbook type spelling program (which they want something like that), eventually they would say that SWR is much better. It might be worth a try.

Thanks for listening.

Amy

:grouphug::grouphug: I know all about twin issues. The competition can be so difficult. I sometimes secretly dream of sending them to school where they can be separated. But like you, I'd probably never do it. If you ever want to chat, send me a PM. I'm always happy to talk to other twin mamas and glean any wisdom and experiences they have to share. Best of luck to you!