Menu

holy cow - price of The Listening Program

The eye doctor where one of my sons gets vision therapy also offers The Listening Program, which is something I've been looking into for another son. But - GULP - $1300?????? Is this the going price???? Is it possible to buy it used from someone, since it's an at-home program? Is it possible to resell when we're done with it? What happens if it doesn't actually DO anything for my kids? Am I just out the money then?

It sounds great, but YIKES...$1300....

Any thoughts?

Is it The Listening Program or Therapeutic Listening Program? There was a previous thread and the consensus seemed to be that the first one is not effective, but the second one is.

Our OT office rented us the CDs for the Therapeutic Listening Program. We had to buy the special headphones ($145, I think) and pay a $100 deposit. They monitored the results as part of dd's OT/ST and chose the order of the CDs based on dd's progress. You might see if any practitioners near you offer a similar arrangement.

Edited by LizzyBee

The eye doctor where one of my sons gets vision therapy also offers The Listening Program, which is something I've been looking into for another son. But - GULP - $1300?????? Is this the going price???? Is it possible to buy it used from someone, since it's an at-home program? Is it possible to resell when we're done with it? What happens if it doesn't actually DO anything for my kids? Am I just out the money then?

It sounds great, but YIKES...$1300....

Any thoughts?

Check out ebay or renting through another therapist as Lizzy mentioned. The private speech therapist clinic recommended The Listening Program and also offered the program for I can't remember exactly what but it wasn't nearly 1300! They even have rented the headphones. I've seen The Listening Program sell on ebay both with and without the headphones for a few hundred and less.

Since you're asking what if it doesn't do anything...I don't know if it did anything for my son. He still couldn't pass the Barton screen the next year, even though the speech therapist had recommended it for his poor phonemic awareness. Maybe there's something else it did for his brain connections, but it didn't do what I hoped.

It did keep him still for a while every day while he listened to it. I listened to a few of the cd too. I found the music and nature effects relaxing, and it's somewhat interesting to listen to the sounds switch from ear to ear. I can't say it was a complete waste, but I can't say if it helped. (Then again...if it had fixed everything, I probably wouldn't be on this board telling you about it. ) If your interested in trying it, I'm sure you can find it somewhere else for cheaper.

When we purchased this it was $500.

The program can be done different ways and produce different results.

They have seen better results when it is done actively rather than passively.

It is 10 cds recommended to be done twice---20 weeks.

Our audiologist said it was more effective when done while walking, jumping rope, etc.

Is it The Listening Program or Therapeutic Listening Program? There was a previous thread in the consensus seemed to be that the first one is not effective, but the second one is.

Our OT office rented us the CDs for the Therapeutic Listening Program. We had to buy the special headphones ($145, I think) and pay a $100 deposit. They monitored the results as part of dd's OT/ST and chose the order of the CDs based on dd's progress. You might see if any practitioners near you offer a similar arrangement.

It was The Listening Program. I have absolutely no idea what the difference is between the two, do you?

We used The Listening Program and I think it was about $400 for the CDs. I did not see any results with my son, but have heard that others had good results. Is this the program that was recommended for you?

Well, the audiologist who tested my ds for CAPD doesn't believe in neuroplasticity, so all she did was give us a list of accommodations and sold us a filter to block out extraneous noise (which is actually not a problem for him, even though the testing said it was...he never had the behaviors associated with it, and the filter has not helped in any way whatsoever). So I'm having to piece together a plan of my own for him. He has the auditory associative deficit subtype of CAPD.

It was The Listening Program. I have absolutely no idea what the difference is between the two, do you?

A pp said The LP has 10 CDs. I don't know how many CDs are included in Ther. LP, but I know it's a lot more than 10. Ther. LP is monitored by a professional so that the program is tailored to the particular child.

A pp said The LP has 10 CDs. I don't know how many CDs are included in Ther. LP, but I know it's a lot more than 10. Ther. LP is monitored by a professional so that the program is tailored to the particular child.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. When I asked the OT at our VT place about it, she said they just give us the whole thing and away we go.:glare:

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. When I asked the OT at our VT place about it, she said they just give us the whole thing and away we go.:glare:

That would scare me when we're talking about re-wiring a kid's brain pathways. Our OT told us to call them if we saw any bad reactions from the CDs. OTOH, based purely on anecdotal evidence from the internet, maybe The LP doesn't rewire the brain, so there are no worries about bad reactions. :tongue_smilie:

We've been using The Listening Program for over a year and we love it. My daughter starts the day with it while she plays in a rice bucket. We HAVE to start our day this way or it is a nightmare.

We've seen great results, but it is only effective while you are doing the program. It's not like it permanently improves anything. At least, that's what I've read and been told by the therapists. We'll just continue to use it until I feel like it's a waste of time.

We are on the 30 min a day cycle.

I got it on sale for like $200. Our OT stopped me in the hallway when we were there for speech to let me know about the sale. It might help that we are in Utah though, where TLP is made.

We've been using The Listening Program for over a year and we love it. My daughter starts the day with it while she plays in a rice bucket. We HAVE to start our day this way or it is a nightmare.

We've seen great results, but it is only effective while you are doing the program. It's not like it permanently improves anything. At least, that's what I've read and been told by the therapists. We'll just continue to use it until I feel like it's a waste of time.

Eek. That's not good to hear!

What are you using it for? I was looking at it to remediate CAPD. It sounds like you might be using it for SID issues? I wonder if that might be a reason behind the difference in the prognosis?:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

We have used The Listening Program too. This was several years ago and it was around $400 dollars. You also needed a specific set of headphones whiich was about $100. As I understand it, one difference between the 2 programs is that The Listening Program is done under a trained provider so the listener can be monitored. We would provide weekly feedback and the SLP would tell us how to tailor the program. We had the chance to try out some therapeutic listening cd's but I didn't feel comfortable with just doing it on my own.

While TLP was easy to do, the effects only lasted a couple of months. I feel it helped my son's attention/focus and helped with his sensory issues. Our SLP said we would probably need to do the program on a regular basis.

As I understand it, one difference between the 2 programs is that The Listening Program is done under a trained provider so the listener can be monitored. We would provide weekly feedback and the SLP would tell us how to tailor the program. We had the chance to try out some therapeutic listening cd's but I didn't feel comfortable with just doing it on my own.

Interesting. That's exactly the opposite of what I've been told about the 2 programs. The TLP provider will just sell me the whole kit and caboodle and send me on my way. "You can use it with all your kids." However the TL providers essentially customize a program based on my child's needs.

I wonder if the difference is the provider and not the program, in that case?:confused:

About three years ago, after doing combo listening therapy and OT at the Star Center in Greenwood Village, we bought a home program from them by Integrated Listening Systems. I don't know the name of it. It was around $500-something. It included headphones but they were not the special bone-conducting kind my kids used in OT. It included 12 cds for a 24-week program (12 weeks up, 12 weeks down), plus a balance board and such, and of course an instruction booklet. We've only used it sporadically. I'd like to spend this summer making ds8 do the whole thing (he keeps chasing ds5 around the house, yelling, trying to get ds5 to stop humming and making little doggie noises - pot meet kettle). I don't think they sell the exact program anymore that we bought - looking at their website, the offerings seem to be a little different now. http://www.integratedlistening.com/equipment/

Looking at their current offerings, what we bought is probably closest to the Kick Start program, though we have the bulky cd player with gigantic waist belt rather than the handy Nano with armband. But that is the balance board we have. It would be so much easier if I could trade in my cds and player and upgrade to the armband thing!! This is a significant consideration if you have a young/skinny kiddo - the cd player around the waist can be...inconvenient and off-putting to the kid.

It just occurred to me that maybe I could upload the CDs to an Ipod, if only my Ipod worked....

Edited by wapiti