Menu

Perhaps we should officially welcome parents of rising 9th graders. Check-in here:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My eldest will be starting 9th grade in January. We have no concerns about it, though, as eldest started high school courses years ago. We let the kids go at their own pace, which means starting high school level work at different times for different subjects. Eldest only has about 2 years left before graduating.

I have one for the first time. I was pretty freaked out towards the end of last year but these few weeks of summer have helped, as have avoiding all high school threads! I have to keep focused on what we are doing, not what others are doing cause then I get all hyped up about whether I'm doing enough, doing it the right way, etc. Trying to relax- we'll get through it.:)

:seeya:

I've started spending more time on this board, reading and pondering. (I'm a champion lurker, though - consider my post count vs. the time I've been a member - I really need to learn to come out of my uber-introvert shell and contribute more...) My dd is just 12 but is beginning to work at the high school level. Love reading all of the threads here, particularly the ones on "rigor". :)

If it's any consolation to anyone, I'm a high school teacher by profession and I still panic sometimes. High level maths and sciences - bring it on. Preparing dd for an AP English Lit exam in a few years - aack!!! :D

Kind of an old thread, but I'll also have my first high schooler this year! I don't have everything figured out yet (still working on English and some electives), and I'll be teaching six kids this year, versus the two I had at home last year. Somehow, I'm not too stressed out. That could change!

It's nice to "meet" the class of 2016! :)

I haven't gotten through all 16 pages of replies yet... but I will!

My son is in the middle of 9th grade, in a way. Last year was going to be 9th but he was sick for several months and between that and some curriculum mistakes, we never got the year off the ground properly. (Legally, he is a rising 9th grader, according to the state of PA, so that makes things a little easier.)

He just turned 15 a few weeks ago, so he would be an older 9th grader. I think he will be about a semester "off" as we go along. Right now math and science are holding him back a bit. He has some LD and AD/HD issues that we're still working with/on.

My daughter is officially a rising 8th grader at 13 1/2, but she has expressed interest in attending public high school for her senior year. (She knows someone who did this.) I've read that homeschool high school credits don't always transfer easily to public high school, so told her she should start doing high school level work now. That will be easy enough for history and language arts, but not sure how that will work out for science and math. ;)

Our family seems always to be a little unconventional (not always by design), so our odd school years/ages do not come as a surprise to me. ;)

LOL I posted in this thread a while back...now my son is going into 10th.:lol:

:D Right there with you!

However, I now have another 9th grader, the 13 year old. He'll be finishing algebra 1 and 2 this year, studying AP biology, Latin, Icelandic, Ancient History and Literature, botany, English Grammar and Comp - this boy will study English Grammar forever :glare:, and hasn't decided between astronomy or computer programming for another elective.

Though the next youngest is the age of a 7th grader, he does high school level math and science, so NO BREAK FOR ME!

I'm going to collapse when that last one leaves for the dorms. :lol:

Faith

First time having a 9th grader. DD is intested in the arts: Theater, painting, sketching music etc. We will be using MFW AHL with Apologia Physical World, TT Algebra 1, Rossetta Stone Spanish, Logic, Abeka Personal Computer Program. may Supplement with IEW writing & dvanced Spelling and Vocabulary. I also have F younger children, 7th, 5th, 4th and my baby is starting Kindergarten.

Our 12 year old ds is starting his 9th grade year in the fall. He is our first highschooler! He took and completed successfully Algebra 1 and Earth Science this year. We still aren't sure what we will do once he has enough credits to graduate, but we aren't going to hold him back.

Not that anyone is actually reading all of these... I have my first high school student. Scared to death and feel like no mater how many years of homeschooling I have under my belt, I am not ready to be organized enough for high school.:glare:

You'd be surprised by who's reading these. :) I posted on this thread last year when ds14 was entering 9th grade.

I can commiserate with those who feel panicky and those who although they have many yrs of homeschooling under their belt feeling like they are starting over -- been there, felt that way too.

We were very blessed to have the help of a co-op for the bulk of the high school courses.

Best wishes to the families of the rising 9th graders! :thumbup:

I'll have 2 9th graders this year, a 13yr. old and a 14yr. old. They are both doing MFW AHL and Apologia Physical Science. Dd is also doing BJU Spanish 1, Latin 1, Voice/Choir, TT Algebra, Photography, and Art History, Ds will continue Piano, and take..Drafting, Business Development, LOF Algebra, and maybe Speech. No, I'm not ready, yes, I'm :willy_nilly::)

Not new here, but my third 9th grader has risen up the ranks.

Wow. Seems like yesterday I first ventured to the highschool board in a panic abodippy first 9th grader.

Now, I sit here all set for my third round.

Whew. Lived through this far!:tongue_smilie:

I've got a 9th grader this year. His older brother will be in 11th grade, so I'm a bit more focused on my panic over him and college ;) High school for #2 is going to be a whole different ball game. At the moment, he plans to be an engineer. He tolerates my coursework, and spends as much time as possible educating himself, instead.

I'll have my first homeschooled high schooler this year. My oldest was in state school by high school, but we're keeping my 14yo home, and I'm scared to death that I'm going to mess up. I've been reading loads of books about how to home school your high schooler, but so much doesn't apply because we live overseas. I just hope that I don't screw up so much that he can't get into a good college. And how do I even choose a college for him (he wants to go in the States) when we're over here? Aaaaaaaaargh! :willy_nilly::svengo:

I've been homeschooling since 1999, but this is my first time homeschooling for high school. I started with my stepdaughter, who then went on to public school. My daughter is 14 and will be starting the 9th grade. I have 3 other little ones behind her.

I saw this thread right before I went to church, and it was only 5 pages long...fast forward to now...page 18...WOW! My dd14 will be a freshman this next fall. We are nervous because she is our first, but excited at the same time as it will bring so many opportunities for growth. We are very pleased that she will be joining a well established Classical Conversations community in Challenge B. We will be supplementing with Apologia Bio, a World History curric TBD, hopefully something that has a literature component like Notgrass. She is definitely a liberal arts kid, so CC should be a good fit.

I wonder how many 9th graders this thread accounts for? Pretty cool. Thanks to everyone, you have supported us with wisdom and encouragement. Looking forward to doing high school along side all of you.:001_smile:

Wow! So many rising 9th graders on here. :w00t: So glad I won't be facing this task alone!

DS14 is our youngest and the only one to homeschool. We just started homeschooling early this year - halfway through 8th grade - and while I don't feel as lost about it all anymore, I feel like we've done him a disservice leaving him in ps for as long as we did. But I have to remind myself that we can't feel guilty for not knowing what we didn't know.

Right now he wants to attend a bible college and study music ministry, but his complete lack of motivation makes that unlikely, unless there is a huge change over the next few years. :glare: I told him just last night that unless he really steps it up A LOT, the only college he's probably going to attend is the local CC.

This year we're studying:

Language Arts - completecurriculum.com and BJU Grammar 8

Algebra 2 - Life of Fred: Advanced Algebra

Earth Science - completecurriculum.com

World History - completecurriculum.com

Spanish 1 - Pimsler Foreign Language Study

Religion - Bible Survey and 90-day Bible reading plan

Violin - private tutor *IF* he starts practicing again

I'd also like to do Music Theory but haven't found a curriculum for it yet.

My name is Jessica and this is my first year homeschooling. I have four kids (18 mo., 4, 14, and 16) and my 14 year old is the only one officially homeschooling this year. I plan on homeschooling the little ones, too, but my oldest is happy in public school.

I go back and forth between feeling ready to homeschool and panic mode! I feel like there is so much preparation to do and if I don't figure this out quickly, I'm going to get my daughter off to a horrible start.

I'm Kate, starting 9th grade next week with our oldest, Timothy. I'm trying to balance my highly competitive and over-achieving nature with what Timothy wants to do and thrives at. We are following WTM pretty closely. It works for him.

I read and lurk a lot.

:auto:Wow~~ this thread got long! I'm thankful for the welcome and glad to be here too! Our oldest DD, 14 is our rising 9th grader. We school year round and she'll start 9th in Nov.

She is the oldest of 7 and is a history buff. She loves to write and publishes her own magazine by and for homeschoolers. The first issue was on the American Revolution and the current issue is on the Middle Ages. I should ask her if she'd like more hsing writers from this board...

She is an amazing young lady who loves the Lord and seeks Him first.

JFB

My name is Lynn and I have been homeschooling my dd since fifth grade. She is now going into the ninth grade and I have never worried over her schooling like I have this year. Thank goodness for this forum because without it I would be lost! I have been lurking, but decided to register today. Thanks to everyone for sharing all your experience so I could learn!

Guest planetgpa

hello everyone. i am new person in this forum sites.I m interested in guitar. please share any knowledge in any information about guitar. Thanks for sharing!

My middle dd is a rising 9th grader, but is only homeschooling in the summer (homeschool very light) and doing a bit of afterschooling now. My eldest did the grade at home, though.

I hope all goes well for all of you who get to homeschool your 9th graders :).

Guest Mayasithara

Hello,

We have a son 14 who will be in 9th grade. He's my....you know the one who challenges your desire to homeschool. We have 2 grown sons who were homeschooled up until high school. Big regrets there. A 17 yo son going into 11th, brilliant but motivationally challenged. (?) A sweet daughter (who by the way was made in india just for my heart) who is book smart but lacks a bit in common sense. She's a TOTAL joy to homeschool. She gets it. She understands and retains. Love it! Then we have the little female rascal of the house, who after so many siblings is getting the super laid back, yeah we can stand on our head and recite, homeschool mom.

Oh by the way, just discovered work boxes. Trying it out!

Trish, wife of my sweetheart, Mike, mom of Ian 22, Hunter 20, Elias 17, Gavin 14, Sithara 12, and Lani 6!

My oldest, 14 yrs, will also be in 9th this fall and I'm careening wildly between being completely confident and completely.. not. We're registered with Clonlara, we've been with them since this child was in 1st grade. We also vacillate between whether it is better to stay overseas or move back to the US. I think there are a lot of opportunities he could miss being overseas -- particularly financially -- for college, but at the same time he could miss other opportunities by not being overseas.

Unlike many others in this thread, my ds has no idea what he wants to study and no real thoughts about college other than that he will go. somewhere. I think I need to get over my trepidation over homeschooling high school, then I can start stressing about college, lol.

• 4 weeks later...