Menu

Perhaps we should officially welcome parents of rising 9th graders. Check-in here:

9th Grade is new for us. I love lurking here and am now finally confident enough to post. I'm nervous but my guy is raring to go. I don't know how excited he'll be when he realizes I'll be expecting more written work from him. ;)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY last child will be a ninth grader and I have very little planned right now for her. Why? Because I have been busy graduating the senior, and also planning our move. So far she will be doing History with SWB;s books, either Life of Fred geometry or Jacobs geometry, her choice, finishing up physics and probably starting bio, Taking Spanish in some format, and I do have her literature and grammar so I guess I am just missing extracurriculars. It helps when you have materials left over from older kids. BUt really, her future years after freshman will be very different. SHe is my only child going in the STEM direction so much more science and math oriented and less history for her.

I know many of you have been posting, lurking or researching late in the evening as you transition into the high school years. Welcome! :seeya:

Post here if you have a rising 9th grader in the coming year.

I'll start: I'll have my 4th 9th grader this year. My ds14 will be officially moving up this year. He's tinkering with engineering, which will be a big challenge for this journalism/law trained girl. :tongue_smilie:

Lisa

:lurk5: Wow! Lisa, thank you for thinking of us.

After much lurking, asking, praying, and consulting w/dh, we are continuing w/homeschooling for our oldest dc.

We'll be doing co-op for the first time and I believe this to be the answer to my prayers in regards to our son's high school education.

Classes: Alg 1, Spanish, US Gov't, PE/Health, Biology. He will continue with the homeschool band and maybe take a literature class w/ a homeschool grad again.

We also plan on doing "diy" transcript and diploma.

Edited by Vanna
wanted to add in classes

What a great idea, Lisa.

I would like to join the others in welcoming you guys - especially you folks who have been called out of lurk-dom. :001_smile:

I have learned so much over the years from the great group that populates these pages. A terrific bunch of folks.

So welcome.

Here's to great beginnings! :cheers2:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I have one! :seeya:

He just turned 14 a month ago. He has no idea what he wants to do after graduation yet, so we're sticking pretty much to general stuff for the next couple of years.

Quark, (and other newbies) welcome to the boards! I love your username. :001_smile:

Dd, age 14, will be in 9th grade next year. She is our last homeschool student - two sons graduated and out of the house. Even though we've previously homeschooled high school, the experience is different this time. One student, different abilities, many interests, daughter/girl. Precious and challenging at the same time.

What you wrote here is exactly how I'm feeling. Our rising 9th grader is our 7th, a girl. Our last five were boys, and our oldest dd was so different from this one.

It seems like we coast through grades K-8, using pretty much the same approach for everyone. And then they get to high school. Different abilities, goals, and interests emerge. Suddenly it begins to feel that I'm treading in brand new waters.

My 4th child and last one being homeschooled. I am deliberating whether or not to continue in Tapestry of Grace, partly because I don't feel totally crazy about their literature or history book list, and partly because I am finally going to take the two youngest girls to Italy in the spring, and TOG would not even be up to the Romans by that time. I'm not willing to start school a quarter early, and I can't see skipping something huge in the Ancients. Pretty much next year is going to be about 1st year of debate, and going to Italy in the spring!

Hi all - I have a 9th grader in public school, but in the Fall will be homeschooling my current 8th grade dd. I have a lot of decisions made, and thought I was firm on doing Sonlight with her until I got on these forums - ACK! Now I'm not sure whether to do SL or MFW?! More time perusing here is needed, yet I know it will only leave me more uncertain. I hate this part of homeschooling! :confused1:

Decisions made:

Math - finish Foerster Alg. I, start Jacobs Geom.

Science - either Shepherd Bio at home, or Chem through co-op

Spanish - Tell Me More software

Logic - MP Material Logic, and informal fallacies work

Worldview - Summit Lightbearers

History/Lit/Writing - SL or MFW?!?!?!?!?!

I'll also continue homeschooling my current 5th grade dd (using SL for the first time). 6th grade seems so much easier - no pressure to have it perfect because there is still some time left to try different things. I don't feel I have that luxury with my 9th grader - I'd like to have a cohesive 4-year plan rather than skipping around year to year.

So grateful for this forum.

~Lori

Lori,

Don't stress about your Sonlight decision. It is bashed a lot on this board, but those who use it through high school always have great results. There are people who try it for high school and don't like it, but for those who like it and stick with it, it is a great program. Every person I've talked or "forumed" with whose kids actually used SL all the way through had kids who were successful in college and had no problems handling the lit analysis or level of books they hit there (the two most common complaints).

SL and MFW are both good programs. Use the one that you both think you like best and relax. If you try one for ninth and it isn't good for her, you CAN still switch for 10th. This will be our first high school year too, so I am no expert. I can tell you that you won't ruin your child by the decisions you make the first year you homeschool, and no matter how much you research, you will probably do some tweaking for next year.

Enjoy the journey!

With fear and trembling, I'm joining the high school crowd, too. :eek: Oldest dd will begin ninth in the fall, and 2nd dd isn't far behind. I am so thankful to all of you who have gone before us! Currently I am freaking out over our Great Books plan (do it on our own/WEM?, sign up for a tutorial?) and a science sequence. I am driving my entire family crazy throwing ideas at them.:blush:

I have a dd starting 9th in the fall. My oldest graduated this year and will be going off to college next year. Although I have successfully homeschooled one child through high school, I am still stressing about doing it again. My son and daughter are competely different and I feel like I am starting all over.

Hi all! Entering with our first high schooler. As others have said, continually waffling between anxiety, fear and confidence.

I think what makes it harder is he is not my eager one and I haven't been the greatest in getting him where he needs to be. So, he's a smidge 'behind', in comparison to most his age on this forum. Then his brother, 2 yr younger, is pretty much on par with him and I have signed him up with a couple of the same courses. I don't feel that one is 'advanced' per say, but quick to get things. So I try to keep handing things to him. He's quickly catching up making his 7th grade year interesting for me.

(I don't know if any of that made sense now, multiple interruptions from the peanut gallery downstairs...my cue to call it a night I suppose)

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and the countless posts I've perused over the last several months getting ready for this new gig. :)

I have a dd starting 9th in the fall. My oldest graduated this year and will be going off to college next year. Although I have successfully homeschooled one child through high school, I am still stressing about doing it again. My son and daughter are competely different and I feel like I am starting all over.

Thank you for being so honest about stressing and starting all over again. It has helped me breathe a little easier knowing I'm not the only one stressing over high school at home.

Thanks so much, everyone, for your honesty and encouragement! :D

Hi there :) I'm pretty new here and will be joining you all in August with a high schooler. My ds would be an older 8th grader, but we decided to bump him to 9th since he had already taken some high school level classes. We'll be using Sonlight Core 100 (with a little beefing up), Algebra II, earth & space science, high school spanish II, and competing in speech & debate competitions. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Edited by texasmel

Hi!

I am no stranger to the K-8 boards for a few years now mostly on but sometimes off. My oldest will be classified as 9th this September. I am feeling VERY underprepared and overwhelmed by it all. He is 'behind' in some areas but we are slowly making progress. His plan, for now, is not as rigorous as what most of you are doing but that isn't this kid yet. I am feeling like I would love someone else with BTDT experience to sit down with me and help me plan this out.

Glad to be here!

My oldest will be starting Grade 9 this coming fall. We live in Canada so he is technically still in Jr. High for 9th here, but since we are homeschoolers it doesn't really matter what we call it! :) I'm approaching this coming year as a transitional year for him since he's still finishing up some logic stage things.

I'm nervous about high school because he is my oldest, so this is all new for our family. I'm also nervous because my son is ADHD/gifted and has always struggled in language arts and history. I'm still trying to find effective approaches for him in these areas. I really like Sonlight though and want to use if for high school. Because I have been experimenting with approaches over the years I really want to focus on writing this year to solidify his skills.

So, this is our plan for Grade 9:

Bible: Some Sonlight 7 selections

Math: Saxon Algebra 2

Logic: Traditional Logic

English: Rod & Staff 9, with IEW's Elegant Essay

Literature: Teaching the Classics with Canadian historical fiction.

History: Canadian history

Science: Dive Integrated Chemistry & Physics

Art: Artistic Pursuits Jr High Book 1

Music: he's an avid drummer-private lessons & homeschool band

After many years of Latin we finally decided to drop it for 9th. It makes me sad, but he really needs more time to spend on algebra and writing.

See you around!

My oldest will also be a 9th grader this fall. Glad to know I am in good company. :) My biggest concern, so far, is how accomplish everything he needs academically, while still finding time for all the extra curriculars he loves.

Guest elmstreetschool

Hi,

My oldest, 13, will be in 9th grade next year. This is the first year I've been apprehensive about doing the right stuff to get into a good college.

He's a strong reader and we'll be doing a kind of great books study for history and literature this year. He likes math a lot, science a little, but we've been very loose about following specific curriculum.

So far the plan is

Math: continue AOPS for Math (maybe Counting?) and Programming. Hopefully Geometry after that. No definite time table because I want him to be confident before we move on. We may supplement with Discovering Maths and practical (business) math.

History: extensive (maybe over ambitious? LOL) HEO book list. Haven't decided whether he should outline, write essays, or just take notes and do a research project by end of semester

Literature: Great Books type study with mostly WTM and AO titles. Same as history for the writing.

Some type of grammar and writing course, but not sure yet. In a pinch I can roll this into writing assignments for subject though.

Science: really don't know. Leaning towards Campbell's Biology and Labpaq but is that doable for a first year student with non-scientist parents?

Piano: lessons and theory through Piano Guild, composition on his own with Finale

Fitness: train at the gym with his dad, doesn't like organized sports so I'm not sure what we'll do for PE credit

Plans to try to finish at least a basic Latin course. He reads French well so that's a possibility but Spanish is more practical for us. TBA.

Really appreciating advice from y'all on this list who have been there! Will see where we are by September :-)

• 2 weeks later...

my son will be in 9th grade as well. i am still researching which courses to do and where. we just started home-schooling last year. regular school just wasn't the right fit with my very kinesthetic learning son. for 8th grade i had a teacher come to our house and teach him for all subjects. this coming year will be different. i will probably be over-seeing most of work. this is what i am leaning towards:

math- saxon alegbra I with one of the cd lectures ( haven't choosen yet which one). tutor to our house one day a week

spanish I online through christa mcauffille school of art and science

state studies thru c.m. school of art and science or our state college has an online course 1/2 semister

world geography thru c.m. school of art and science 1/2 semister

english I- awesome teacher coming to our house 3 days a week

biology campbell "exploring" and using all on-line features with book and real labs at house and hopefully with a few other homeschoolers in area.

web design thru c.m. school of art and science or beginning programming course thru potter's school

p.e- work out everyday local gym at midpoint of school day. do health teaching and other things like fishing to break it up sometimes.

this is not written in stone yet. does anyone have any suggestions. can use all advice i can get. good luck to all this next year!!!

angel:)

Edited by angel marie
forgot some stuff

today is Day 1 of Grade 9 for dd#3... but its a whole new ballgame from the first two.

battening down the hatches.... it feels as if we've been joyfully playing (and learning), and now its time to get down to business. i am afraid of losing the joy:confused:

she has been ramping up work time and quality, so is definitely ready to go. its her mother i'm worried about;)

half of my brain knows it is a completely artificial dividing line....

sigh....

ann

Angel, post your question as a new thread on the board. This thread is old and everyone has read it. Not too many are checking back at this point. We have done an Introduction to Alice course and used Lego Mindstorms for Introduction to robotics. DH is a programmer so I don't use any online classes, just him.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm excited about highschool too. may change my mind once we get into the heat of it. i'm most excited about biology...that's my thing. dissections!!

son age 14 (9th grade) campbell biology (exploring life), saxon alegbra I with art reed dvds, and math teacher once/wk at house, english, lit, and vocab-- english teacher come to house daily, spanish I, mississippi studies, world geography, web design, keyboarding, all online with christa mcauliffe school of art and science

extra-curriculars art and photography lessons, drama production, choir and competition, volunteer weekly with animal shelter, city duck pond etc..., church youth group

owner of an active photography business

Edited by angel marie
i forgot that i am still looking for the right books for religion this coming year :)

Wow! There are a lot of rising 9th graders this year. I lost count somewhere along the way. My oldest is 14 and will be in 9th grade this year. I also have a 6th grader and our youngest has a borderline birthday and will be doing some sort of K/1st grade work. We fall in the classical/Latin centered camp, although we got to that point kind of late in the game, so we're playing catch up with Latin. We'll be doing Second Form Latin and moving into Third Form as soon as he is ready. We will continue with MUS Algebra. We haven't decided if we will enroll in Kolbe or just do our own thing but the reading lists for history and literature (great books) are very similar either way. I had him preview SWB's high school level Ancients book at the store yesterday and we may be using that as a spine. We also haven't decided if we'll go with Kolbe's recommended Biology or stick with Apologia that we've been using up until now. And I'm still working out what I'm going to use for composition. We'll use MP's Traditional Logic and we will have readings for theology/confirmation prep as well. It will be a full year, for sure, and I've been trying to mentally prepare ds for the big jump in difficulty and work load. I hope *I* am prepared! LOL When I have a K/1st child, I usually try to have the other children on more independent work so I can spend some extra time making sure that good foundation in reading and writing is there, but that isn't going to be the case this year. So I've been spending time with her this summer laying some good foundation there and I think we'll be in good shape!

I'm late to this thread but yes, my ds 14 will be a 9th grader next year, with all the customary accompanying anxiety.

This year kind of fell apart due to our new baby, and I am realizing that online and/or correspondence courses will be our best route to ensure his HS career doesn't get derailed due to my lack of time. He is a wonderful kid whose thought processes, strengths and interests are similar to my own, making it a joy to work with him, but I have to devote the majority of the time I have to my dd with LDs.

I'm in the process of trying to balance my desire to ensure he has the best education to help him succeed in college and be well-rounded, with the realization that my time with him is short and making time for the non-academic benefits of homeschooling as well.

Best wishes to everyone for a great high school experience!

Guest Susan N.

I am new to this forum (have been lurking for a few months and gleaning info). My oldest will be a freshman this school year. I have one more -- an 11yo son entering 6th grade. Approaching the high school years caused major anxiety for me! Though I went through a similar panic when oldest reached middle school level.

We will be using:

Spielvogel's Human Odyssey with Greenleaf Guides to Ancient and Medieval Lit for history -- a 2-yr plan;

Jacob's Geometry w/Geometer's Sketchpad for math;

Apologia Exploring Creation w/Chemistry for science (with a co-op);

IEW Elegant Essay and Teaching the Classics;

Spanish I (Claro que Si - Houghton Mifflin, subbed out to experienced teacher in classroom setting);

James Madison Critical Thinking Course for logic

Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? for economics

Extra-curriculars include: Piano, Art, and 4-H

Second dc (14) is rising into 9th. I don't feel near the apprehension that I did with first dc (who is 11th and starting dual credit courses so I didn't mess her up too bad :tongue_smilie:).

ds will be taking:

Bible - read daily

English - Grammar/Comp and LLTR at co-op

Math - BJU Algebra 1

Science - Apologia Biology taught by a friend

History - World Geography at co-op

Logic - Traditional Logic

Looking forward to a great year,

Sue

My 3rd child, dd14, will be a freshmen and I'm so excited! I feel like I've got it together--or will--SO much more than I did with our first two guinea pigs, I mean, children. Our life was very chaotic as the two oldest entered the high school years and now things are more settled so I feel like I can see the big picture of the next four years for this dd and make better choices. Whew! I'm looking forward to it.

(I'll have a senior and a kindergartener and a few more grades in between--wahoo! Hope I stay sane!)

Hello all. I have an almost 14-year-old starting high school in the fall and a 15-year-old with special needs who will also be starting homeschooled high school then.

I have lurked on these boards for many years, learning so, so much. I have only posted once before and that was on the old boards!

I look forward to being a participating member of this community.

I have 7 children ages 3 to 15 and they are all homeschooled. I did a WTM-like curriculum for about 4 years, then did Seton for 3 years. I am unsure still of what exactly I will be doing for my sons this fall.

I have a 14 yr old dd who will be starting grade 9 this year. I am starting to panic as I have yet to plan out much of it. So glad to have this board as a resource.

Lesley

Me too! My oldest daughter will be starting grade 9 this September and I only just found this website and forum a few weeks ago. I have been quite realxed in my schooling but now I am beginning to panic. I have such challenging babies so it has been difficult to be on top of everything but this year is going to be the best year yet...:confused:

I will be homeschooling my second and third ninth graders this year. My son will actually be attending a one day a week classical cottage school, while my daughter has opted to be at home taking only one outside class. I will still have my first grader, preschooler, and baby to take care of too. :)

• 11 months later...

Either you know something I don't or you have been realizing that I have burned the midnight oil. Somethings do not work with my child others I would love to try are so expensive and I do not believe we are going to use it, so, yes.....

My signature tells our current curriculum, baring changes.

Burning the midnight oil,

Char

This will my 3rd time for 9th grade. Our oldest has graduated from college and is teaching 3rd grade in a public school. Our 2nd oldest is attend a community college right now.

My nineth grader does ballet and is on point. She likes to write stories in her spare time. She volunteers at the library in the summer. During the school year she assists in a 4/5 year class at ballet.

This year she will be doing IEW Windows to the World, and Elegant Essay, Biology, Algebra 1, Logic, Spanish,and the book of John with Community Bible Study. My only problem is where we do geography, or start a 4 year cycle of history.

Plus add to this mix a 7th grade boy who is all boy. Needless to say our life is busy.