Menu

Perhaps we should officially welcome parents of rising 9th graders. Check-in here:

I know many of you have been posting, lurking or researching late in the evening as you transition into the high school years. Welcome! :seeya:

Post here if you have a rising 9th grader in the coming year.

I'll start: I'll have my 4th 9th grader this year. My ds14 will be officially moving up this year. He's tinkering with engineering, which will be a big challenge for this journalism/law trained girl. :tongue_smilie:

Lisa

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dd, age 14, will be in 9th grade next year. She is our last homeschool student - two sons graduated and out of the house. Even though we've previously homeschooled high school, the experience is different this time. One student, different abilities, many interests, daughter/girl. Precious and challenging at the same time.

We've graduated one and have just begun 9th grade courses with our ds who is 14. His high school course will be just plain heavy because he can't decide between unrelated disciplines for college. He'd like to either attend the new C.S. Lewis College in Northfield, Massachusetts and double major in History and Art History, or attend M.I.T. for video game design :eek: ! How's that for planning a high school specialization?

So, he has a lot of work cut out for him so that his transcript and preparation are thorough for both paths. If you hear a popping noise, those are my brain cells.

We are a very math and science oriented household and dh is an oracle database architect with computer science and math degrees, so the M.I.T. route is much more comfortable for us. I'm getting my feet wet in some new subjects such as art history and poetry (I've never made the children study poetry in depth so this is a brain bender for me). Additionally, that boy wants to accomplish three years of German. Thankfully, there is a German community near us that still contain some churches that conduct evening services in German and have fluent speakers. I can get appropriate tutoring. But, I'm struggling to decide on a curriculum as I just don't know what a solid German course should look like.

I had two years of French in high school, three semesters in college, and this kid wants to study German! :glare:

Faith

Edited by FaithManor

dd13 will be moving up to 9th grade this next year. She will be my 2nd 9th grader. Even though I've done 9th grade w/ older dd this year, it is still all so new to us. Dd's # 1 & 2 are so different in their personalities that it will be a whole new experience! We will be using MFW for highschool so hopefully this year will be planned out a little better and go smoother. Thanks for the welcome. :001_smile:

DD will be starting her high school work in the fall. She is our second child through high school at home but very different academically from the first. Right now she is leaning towards being a chef and possibly specializing in dietary challenges especially gluten free cooking.

We're not sure what to call our upcoming year, maybe 8 1/2th grade? He may graduate a year early, but we won't make that decision for at least another year or two. In the meantime we're treating this year as high school.

My ds is 13 1/2 and an average student with greatness ready to break out at any moment. :D Right now he's into computer science, I can see him going to school for that. He also has awesome critical thinking skills and likes to discuss ideas. I can see him sitting around discussing the great ideas of history for hours on end.

Yesterday I wasn't feeling well, you know where your mind goes 100mph and your body won't move. :lol: So I looked in colleges. 30 minutes in one direction is a nice inexpensive state university that offers computers and video classes. 30 minutes in the other direction is a nice small expensive liberal arts college. The have a tutorial based honors program that uses the Great Books. They have Japanese language and studies, they have a ton of study abroad opportunities. I don't know which direction he will choose. He may chose none of the above. His future is blank canvas.

My son is 13 and opted to do a kind of combined 7th/8th this year in order to bump up to 9th in the fall. (He's a year or so younger than all of his close friends and more than capable academically.)

He's been taking one or two classes at a time that are high school level for the last couple of years. But next year will be 9th grade "officially."

He also hopes to finish his high school requirements in three years. We'll see how that goes.

My son will be starting his high school work in August. He's interested in graphic design or mechanical design. We're hoping to get some electives in that will help figure out which he prefers. Thankfully, they are both under the design school @ the state university, but that school is extremely hard to get into. He needs to start building his portfolio soon.

DS (14yo) will be a ninth grader next year. He would like to attend ps and we have registered him for classes. However, and that is a big however, his TS symptoms are on the rise and he is stuttering again. If he is this stressed and anxious already I am not sure ps is the place for him.

We have been doing some high school work already and the school DS would be attending isn't acknowledging some of the classes (i.e. Apologia Biology) and tells him he will need to retake those classes.

DS would like to be in band and take a few other courses that I cannot teach or are budget busters for us. We do not have a co-op anywhere in our so that isn't an option.

What to do...what to do...

My 3rd son will be entering the High School years in July. We will be doing some things the same as with the other 2 but most will be totally different. For starters we will be doing a BJU online class for Cultural Geography. I have used BJU for all my children but never the Distance Learning options which we will try for one class this year and add in more if it goes well for the following years. We will be doing Latin, something the other 2 did not have. Another new addition is using the Hewitt Lightning Lit packages. We tried one this year and it was a perfect fit for ds, so I will be sticking with this. Rounding the year will be BJU Physical Science and Algebra I.

Hi!

My dd will be a 9th grader this fall. She is interested in history, languages and writing. She adores Tolkien and seriously wants to follow in his foot-steps. She wants to learn Welsh, Anglo-saxon, French, Latin and other languages I can't remember. I think Finnish was one of them at one point since I bought her a dictionary/phrasebook. Her latest passion is Anglo-Saxon of which I have bought her a dictionary but it only works from Anglo-Saxon to English and I need to buy her one that works both ways. She really works on this.:lol: She loves medieval and renaissance history and literature the most. She loves to write creatively. I have no idea where she will go to college or what the end result will be for her. It feels like I'm on a roller coaster and add to this the fact that she is my elder dd and first to homeschool high school!

:scared: This is me most days lately. We are moving in two weeks, I'm behind in school and in preparing for high school. I seriously must take this one day at a time or I think I may fall apart.:D

I couldn't do this without all of you ladies/gentlemen here. Thank You!!

Edited by Kfamily

:) Hi! I'll have my first 9th grader next year. I have had my moments of panic and my moments of confidence. I swear I have read every thread that pertains to high school planning on this board & they have been such a big help! Thank you for the welcome :001_smile:

She will be my 2nd 9th grader. Even though I've done 9th grade w/ older dd this year, it is still all so new to us. Dd's # 1 & 2 are so different in their personalities that it will be a whole new experience!

I don't know which direction he will choose. He may chose none of the above. His future is blank canvas.

I was thinking some of these same things before I posted.

My son will be my second 9th grader, but he's so different from his sister that it's still all new.

At this age, our daughter was already "done" with high school and had jumped to an early entrance college program. Our son is at least equally bright, but not academically focused. He loves his life at home, loves his friends and is happily busy with his extracurricular activities. Most days, he does just enough school to keep out of trouble.

He seems excited about his goal of finishing in three years, though. So, I'm hoping that will kick him into gear.

My ds is 13 and wil be our first child going into high school.:001_huh:

He is a computer guy with a love for reading. He tolerates taking karate, likes golf because it is well-ordered and quiet, and thoroughly enjoys Bible Bowl. He is also becoming quite an accomplished pianist. He has been home schooled for his entire education.

We are planning to use MFW's AHL, Apologia Biology, Henle Latin, Traditional Logic II, Rosetta Stone Spanish, and we are going to try AofPS Intro to Computer Programming this summer. LoF and NEM 2/3 for math.

We are excited and scared to death to be starting the high school journey. I love coming here and reading all of the veteran high school parents posts.

Edited by dhudson

We will start our high school journey next year. 14 yo ds will start 9th grade in August. I have been hanging out here most of this year researching curriculum, choosing, changing my mind, researching again, choosing again... well you get the idea. I also tend to post in science threads as that was my college major.

I am excited and amazed to be starting high school. It seems impossible that ds is that grown up and that close to being finished :eek:!

"I have been hanging out here most of this year researching curriculum, choosing, changing my mind, researching again, choosing again... well you get the idea."

Yes, this. I have a few courses set but still deciding on others. There are only so many hours in the day.

Next year is the year my oldest would be in 9th grade if he were still in school, so we're calling it 9th grade, but keeping open the option to tack on an extra year of high school at the end if needed. He's complicated. Very bright, but autism and anxiety disorder issues that interfere, and the puberty hormones are NOT helping. His early experiences at school have left him with some emotional "stuff" we're still working through as well. His level of actual functionality at any given moment on any given day fluctuates rather wildly, so I need to plan very flexible classes that can shift from about a 5th grade level to early college level or any where in between at a moment's notice. Talk about tying a mom's brain in knots! It's a good thing we started homeschooling in 4th grade so I could get a little experience under my belt before it "counts"...lol. He doesn't have a clue what he wants to "be" when he grows up or what he wants to study in college. He has muttered some about something biology-related (which I think he could do if he put his mind to it, but would present some sensory-related challenges, and field work would be difficult for him due to low muscle tone and coordination issues, but again, if he puts his mind to something it's difficult to stop him and I'm sure he could succeed if he became dedicated). He has also expressed an interest in electronics and robotics, and I'm trying to figure out a robotics class for him for next year as an elective, and after a recent conversation with his uncle he's kicking around the idea of becoming a lawyer because, as he says, he loves to read (and does so REALLY fast and with excellent comprehension), loves big words, and is really good at finding loopholes (a fact to which I can certainly attest).

So it's complicated, and I'm taking it one year at a time and focusing on getting him a good, solid, basic high school education and making sure he has the study skills and life skills to get him through college and able to live independently. But with the understanding that both of those goals may be overly ambitious and he may wind up living in our basement for the rest of his life on disability funds. With this kid, it's anyone's guess, but I'm trying to avoid eliminating options unnecessarily. So we're not really doing the "specialization" thing much here.

So far my plans for next year include:

Prealgebra (I know, I know, but that's where we are--public school did a number on his willingness to do anything math-related, and although we've mostly worked through that, we're "behind". But moving fast. Ish.)

English - lit and composition

Biology

History (Middle Ages)

Robotics

LDS Seminary class (Old Testament. And we will also be using this as an opportunity to work through some hang-ups he has about being in a classroom setting with other kids....sigh...)

dd14 is going into the tenth grade - that's the first year of high school here, not ninth as is common in the USA.

We're not really sure in which direction the upcoming year will see us going..she's not sure what she "wants to be" when she grows up .. it changes from day to day and often involves HUGE leaps in career types. Think 'day care owner' versus 'forensic anthropologist'. (while being a pop singer/jewelry maker/novelist on the side) ;)

We're not classical educators - that style doesn't fit our family at all. If we had to be labeledĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ eclectic with a strong life-learning bent. How's that? :laugh:

My ds14 will be a 9th grader this fall. He is our middle child, but the first to be homeschooled for high school. He is a very reluctant learner, but hoping that phase will pass as his brain begins to reconnect with his body over the next couple of years. He would personally love to just push through and get things done so he can graduate a year early. I know complete contradiction of the reluctant learner. LOL. But, we are not encouraging this as his end goal is West Point and I personally don't want him there a year early. We are looking at him doing dual enrollment after next year at the local community college.

I really appreciate all the information and sage advice those that have BTDT have to offer.

We will also have our first high school student this year! My oldest dd will be turning 14 soon (Wow!) and has already started the first units of her geography and science courses. I wanted her to gently get her feet wet before we jump in full steam at the end of July.

She'll be doing a World Geography/World Lit/World Religion course, Integrated Science (which will give her a 1/2 credit for physical science, and full credits for conceptual chemistry, intro to physics, and honors biology at the end of three years - then she'll take an advanced chemistry course), Geometry (assuming she can finish algebra 1 soon!), Spanish 1, and she's finishing up a Child Development elective that will count towards next year's credits.

I've gone from *very* nervous to *very* excited about high school!

I am glad to see there are families who are not following a strict classical path; i.e. Great Books, etc. We're definitely eclectic, and now that we are thinking about dropping Latin, we may only use classical subjects/methods for English.

Youngest ds will be starting 9th in August. This will be my third, and last, foray into home schooling high school. He's probably my most intelligent son, but also my laziest. Praying he doesn't take 14 hours to do 6 hours of work each day. :tongue_smilie: If he does, I fear he won't live to see the 10th grade. :lol:

Edited by Melissa in CA

We also have our first rising 9th grader this year! He has always wanted to go to the Air Force Academy, like his dad and grandpa, and do something engineering-related. He'll be doing Saxon Algebra 2 and finishing up the Henle Latin I book. We're in a small co-op where he'll do Tapestry of Grace Year 2 for history and literature/writing, Spanish 2,and BJU Physical Science. He's also involved in Civil Air Patrol, sports, and some other activities. Should be an interesting year! I have appreciated all the help I have received from reading this board the past 2 years or so. It's given me much to think about and consider!

My oldest is 13 and a half now - 14 in Oct. He is very bright and will be in 9th. We may back up later if there is any difficulty in him being technically a year ahead of the public school deadline - but I doubt it. He is great at Science, especially, but also an avid reader and amazing writer. He plays guitar and piano and loves the Lord! He doesn't seem to know what he wants to do. He loves anything technological and so many other things also!

I'm thankful also for this board and all the threads I have read as I tentatively have been looking at high school materials for over a longggg time! I am excited to have felt a renewed calling to homeschool for high school and in general!

We will be using MFW AHL, Chemistry at co-op (yea!), TT Alg 1 and then into the next one early and some LOF, I think, either Spanish or one year of Latin - can't decide!, Speech & Debate at co-op, and some other elective - hopefully, computers!

My daughter, who will be 14 this summer, will be starting 9th grade work in August. This will be my first time homeschooling for high school! I have her high school years all mapped out and I'm ready to go! She is a voracious reader and obsessive writer.. Looking to get published very soon (in the editing process now).. She wants nothing more than to have a successful writing career.. So her high school years will be spent sculpting her for writing success, along with picking up those required credits for science, math, etc. along the way.

"I have been hanging out here most of this year researching curriculum, choosing, changing my mind, researching again, choosing again... well you get the idea."

Yes, this. I have a few courses set but still deciding on others. There are only so many hours in the day.

This is me too! I have 14 year old twins who will be officially in 9th grade next year. I considered this year 8th with some high school work done. Next year is our official 9th grade year.

I have spent lots of time on the high school board this past year researching. Even though they have been home schooled from the beginning, I feel like a newbie again!!

Both girls are competetive gymnasts and both enjoy writing, photography, and piano.

Next year I am planning:

Geometry with Teaching Textbooks or Chalkdust

English 1 with Analytical grammar, Windows to the World with Jill's lesson plans, Elegant Essay, Vocab for the high schooler, IEW History 2

Biology with BJU and probably Dive CD

Geography with BJU or outsourced class

Spanish 2 with BJU DVDs

Sign Language as an elective with outsourced teacher

Music Fundamentals and Theory with Alfred Theory Book and Great Course DVD

Photography 2 with outsourced class

and maybe speech with IEW speech bootcamp and would also love to fit Latin in there with Latin Alive (which we started this year but was too over-scheduled to actually do it!) And also start some SAT review. And.... yeah, this is when I start going :scared::confused1::ohmy:

Thanks to everyone on the boards who share their wisom, advise, and experience. It has been so helpful.

Grace

This will be my first time homeschooling high school. I have taught in high school classes in some co-op settings.

My dd is finishing up 8th grade this month. She is my book lover and loves to write. The focus in high school will be Bible, history, literature, and composition. She did SL Core 100 this year and is very ready for more challenging reading. She doesn't like math or science, so I feel bad for her that our state requires 4 credits in each. I have a math degree, so I will be holding her hand the whole way and make it as painless as possible!

I feel challenged myself in the literature/composition department, so I'm going to work through Teaching the Classics and IEW's TWSS this summer to educate myself.

She will start Visual Link Spanish this summer. Both my dh and I plan to go through it with her. He is a public school teacher and will have more time in the summer.

I was very nervous about this new venture in homeschooling, but after attending SWB's workshop in Greenville, SC, I'm very excited about the challenge.

My oldest is starting high school this fall. I'm as nervous as I was when we first started homeschooling years ago. We'll be processing high schoolers for the next decade before I get a break, so I'll likely be hanging around here quite a bit. :D

My son will be in 9th grade this coming year! He will be my first high schooler. When he graduates, he plans to either join the military :gnorsi: or major in engineering.

This is our subject line up so far:

Math-u-See Algebra I

IEW Progymnastama

Easy Grammar 9

English from the Roots Up Vol 2

History of the Ancient World

Apologia Biology

Japanese I via MIT OCW

Total Health and PE

WTM Reading Recommendations for Ancients

Edited by charlotteb

My youngest will be a freshman next year and is moving from a class of 20 to a class of 1,000. Yikes! Math and music are his favorite subjects, and he's looking forward to joining a real math team.

His dream is to become a casualty actuary. LOL. Some dream of becoming a football player, others a fireman, mine wants to be an actuary. We'll see how it goes. :D

My son will be in 9th grade this fall. He's very bright. He does have Asperger's, and also struggles with math. He's creative and looking into a career in graphic design or possibly computer animation. He's not a focused and disciplined student at this point, but we're working on it. He does take some classes at a large "co-op".

We'll be using My Father's World Ancient History and Literature for 9th grade, and I hope it will work out to use MFW all 4 years. I'm hoping he will learn to study more independently with everything laid out for him.

He'll be taking science (Apologia) and math (Teaching Textbook) classes at co-op.

We'll be studying Japanese for the next two years. We've already started a little bit. I've got a few leads for finding a Japanese tutor to make sure we're on track.

I'm still looking into options for art classes. Over the summer, I plan to have him do How Great Thou Art. I'm also planning to have him do an art history elective, as well as music history. He's also been involved in theatre in the past, and would like to do more.

Due to his AS, I'd like him to stay at home for his first year of college at least. One of the colleges that would be great for his career goals does offer online study; of course other online options or community college can also work well for getting the basic courses accomplished.

I'm nervous about record-keeping! I need to find a good gradebook system.

Wendi

My oldest is 14 and will start 9th grade in August. It's a little bit scary and a little bit unnerving. :blink: We talked seriously about school but he decided against it. He loves, loves, loves our homeschool band and he's staying home for them....not for our stellar family atmosphere. ;)

He'll be using MFW AHL with some Rod & Staff English thrown in and the SAT prep book. Also, DIVE Integrated Chemistry and Physics, Saxon Algebra II, Breaking the Barrier Spanish I. We're a bit up in the air on an elective yet. Typing for a semester and maybe MFW's health for another semester. We'll see.

He plays the tuba and sings a mean bass, refs and plays soccer. He looks dashing in his Civil Air Patrol uniform and is a sweet big brother to the littles. He can also be moody and tempermental and frustratingly stubborn. :glare:

He wants to go to the Air Force Academy and study meteorology. That scares me more than high school.

My oldest ds will be a 9th grader next year. Though he's already done some high school level work, it seems much more real that he'll be a high school student soon. He has so many things he would like to do, but hasn't narrowed it down at all. We have a very full year planned, so I hope it all goes well!

DD will be in 9th grade next year! I'm not sure how she got so old so fast because I'm pretty sure I'm not getting old! :glare: It feels like yesterday that I discovered these life-saving boards as I was starting this homeschooling journey with a sweet little eager K dd and a tag-along 3 yob! I'm just glad I'm going to get to start all over again in a couple years with the next set! :001_smile:

I have posted on here a great deal as ds has done a great deal of hs level work already. But ds will be 14 in Sept and officially starting 9th grade :D. Ds thinks he might be interested in computer science or engineering, although he LOVES to read. Here is our schedule for the coming year:

History: TOG Year 1

English: TOG Year 1, R & S 9, supplement with Lively Art of Writing, Art of Argument, & Essential Literary Terms.

Math: Saxon Advanced Math

Science: Finish Apologia Chem I & Apologa Chem II

Language: Wheelock's Latin

Computer Science: C#

Piano: private lessons

Swim Team

It's nice to see so many on here with rising 9th graders!! These boards have been invaluable to me in planning this coming year. I appreciate those who have BTDT, as well as all of those who will be homeschooling a high schooler for the first time.

Blessings, Michelle

My oldest will be a freshman next year, so we are entering uncharted territory. My son is a history/language lover with a deep desire to enter the Naval Academy upon graduation. He has wanted to be a Marine since he was four years old!

I am nervous about how to help him most. He insisted on continuing Latin, Greek, and German next year and also would love to learn Mandarin and/or Arabic. He is fascinated with military intelligence.

I am a musician :001_huh:

So, thank you for the welcome and bear with me as I ask a TON of questions.

My ds is a rising 9th grader and recently made the firm decision to homeschool next year. He attends a ps homeschool program one day a week, has an excellent language teacher for French, and wants to start Latin. He is an avid reader, but the "lazy hormones" have set in. Anyone know where I can get a cattle prod for a decent price???:D

He is very language, history, and literature strong. Math and science also seem to be very easy for him when I can get both his mind and his body to work at the same time. Right now, his goal is to help in the autism community and hopes to get a degree in this study. He also wants to add a double major in computer science with the aim of helping to develop technology to aid individuals dealing with autism.

I really don't want to screw this up. He has a lot of potential and I worry about my decisions.

(My dd who will be 7th next year is an entirely different animal. Drama, music, artsy dyslexic girl is the exact and total opposite of ds. I know that everything I learn this next year will need to be thrown out the window and begun anew).

Thank you all for allowing us to join you in this journey!