Menu

Our daily schedule for next year, doable??

LNC

Edited: I'm changing some things based on your input. Thanks so much and more input is welcome!!

I am "at elbow" all day and I grade daily work immediately after with verbal instruction and a red pen! I had trouble fitting in a couple enrichment subjects this year and had to save them for summer - Artistic Pursuits and History of Classical Music, made it 1/2way. I don't want to overplan LA, but Vocabulary is a HUGE priority for me for ongoing SAT prep - they do read challenging lit also. I keep all completed WW workbooks in a magazine file for continuous review.

2011-2012 Schedule

8-9:30

1.Box

(10yo: Bible-The Most Important Thing You will Ever Study, WWE4, Wordly Wise original 2, Orbiting w/Logic)

(12yo: Bible-The Most Important Thing You will Ever Study, WWS1,Vocabulary program, Art of Argument )

2.CLE reading/lit 1rst semester

2nd Semester lit (9yo: Veritas Narnia Comprehension guide & 12yo: Lightning Lit7)

9:30-10:20 CLE Math

10:20-11:00 CLE Language Arts

11:00-11:30 Lunch w/ read aloud

11:30-12:30 9yo piano, 12yo Apologia General Science & CLE Geography

12:30-1:30 12yo piano, 9yo CLE Science & CLE Geography

1:30-2:00 First Form Latin 1 all together w/Mom

2:00-3 Silent reading all together w/Mom (TQ ancients is literature based. They will have to do their outlining and writing for history during box or piano time I think)

Edited by LNC

Their special need brother is at school from 9-4. They would rather get school, piano and reading done while the house is quiet. Then play with their neighborhood friends until he gets home, then play with special brother until dinner time.

Wow, that is a very long day! 7:30 to 3:00 and no real break! More power to you, but it would be a recipe for burn out and full rebellion at my house!

(And I don't mean to sound critical or anything, cuz if it works for you, it works! But it never would work here by a long shot. . . just sayin'!)

Ack!! I would love to hear how others fit in all these subjects who think our days are too long! This includes 1hr.piano and an hour of silent reading. Most people would do that after school, but special needs brother can't take the noise...

I am "at elbow" all day and I grade daily work immediately after with verbal instruction and a red pen! I had trouble fitting in a couple enrichment subjects this year and had to save them for summer - Artistic Pursuits and History of Classical Music, made it 1/2way. I don't want to overplan LA, but Vocabulary is a HUGE priority for me for ongoing SAT prep - they do read challenging lit also. I keep all completed WW workbooks in a magazine file for continuous review.

2011-2012 Schedule

7:30-9:30

1.Box

(10yo: Bible-The Most Important Thing You will Ever Study, WWE4, Wordly Wise original 2, CLP Spelling 4&5, Orbiting w/Logic)

(12yo: Bible-The Most Important Thing You will Ever Study, WWS1, CLP Spelling 7, Wordly Wise5&6, Vocabulary from the Classical Roots A&B, Art of Argument )

2.CLE reading/lit 1rst semester

2nd Semester lit (9yo: Veritas Narnia Comprehension guide & 12yo: Lightning Lit7)

9:30-10:20 CLE Math

10:20-11:00 CLE Language Arts

11:00-11:30 Lunch w/ read aloud

11:30-12:30 9yo piano, 12yo Apologia General Science & CLE Geography

12:30-1:30 12yo piano, 9yo CLE Science & CLE Geography

1:30-2:00 First Form Latin 1 all together w/Mom

2-3 Silent reading all together w/Mom

Well at first glance I am wondering why Vocab from Classical Roots AND Wordly Wise. That seems like overkill to me. I would choose one or the other at this point. Honestly I take my children's vocab largely from their literature and do no lit program (roots do come in later). We have only just began to study for the SAT with my oldest.

I have used CLE for LA in lower grades, is there still spelling in the upper grades in that? If so, I assume you are not doing that section since you already have spelling on board.

I am assuming with so much CLE on board there is work daily and it cannot be situated such that your sons do science one day, then geography the next to shorten that time?

I am looking for overlap and also for anything that could take less time. I am not sure what else. I approached this age with my oldest differently, so I cannot possibly advise you as to what else to drop/move/ etc.

I do think the schedule looks "do-able", but I am not certain it will not bring with it a certain amount of misery. Ten years old is still quite young to have such a full day. Is there no way you could shorten the day somehow or leave something until another time or provide a longer break during the day?

I totally understand having an autistic son about the need to get things done before he comes back home. We strive to do the same thing here and usually manage it.

My last suggestion would be prayer. Have you prayed over your choices? I believe God will show you what is necessary and what is not.

:grouphug: Laurie

Thanks Laurie, that was helpful. On the Logic stage board there were similar recs.

I think I can rely on CLE's spelling to be their only spelling bc the word lists are challenging. When they were younger I wanted phonics rules based. I'm also definately choosing 1 vocabulary program. I want to possibly switch them to VFtCR in 7th as WTM suggests.Wordly Wise Original takes a long time,especially going through 2 books a year.

Again, it isn't the length of our day I mind.I love our piano and reading times durong the schoolday. I love being together all day. What I mind is too much repetition. CLE LA is gentle but still enough if I let it be. They score very high on standardized tedtd (state mandated), but I think it is due to longtime CLE rather than all the extras!

Yeah, it just seems to me that you have language arts overkill. Is that necessary? I guess CLE (which I am not familiar with) is not a complete program? To me vocabulary is just busy work. I really have never noticed much retention with it. My kids all have great vocabularies but it is from being at home with me able to converse frequently and freely and also from all our read alouds. So I'd just ditch the vocab. You're children will get into college anyway, I can assure you! Why do you need to use literature guides? CLE doesn't incorporate lit? If not, I'd just pick a couple of classic books to study in depth for a couple of months out of the year. Then when you aren't doing a book study, the kids could do Logic at the time freed up. I'm into multum non multa.

As another poster suggested, I'd alternate science and history/geo. I'd either just decided to focus on geography this year (with a little bit of history thrown in because it is so hard to separate the two) or I'd do history and nix the separate geography program. Just tie history to geography by noting places where events take place. You truly do not have to be formal about every subject every single year. It just is not necessary and frankly I think it leads to burn out big time.

I'm coming from such a different angle than you though, because I'm really informal and relaxed. So take everything I say with a huge grain of salt. I firmly believe in different strokes for different folks.

So your day could look like:

7:30 Bible

8:00 Logic or book study

8:30 CLE LA

9:30 Math

10:30 piano for 1/recess for other

11:30 lunch w/ read aloud

12:30 History/Geo or Science (alternate)

1:30 Latin

2:00 Piano for 1/freedom for other!

Frankly though, I'd put the Latin in the a.m. probably in lieu of logic/book study because we are all sharper then and I'd put the silent reading before bedtime.

I probably didn't help you much, but I had fun trying to solve your little schedule puzzle! LOL!

Oops! I just now came back to the board to see that you had edited your original plans. So really, really take my opinion with a grain salt since it is responding to your original post!

I do appreciate what you and others on the Logic curriculum board shared. I want to change my overkill ways and am trying to pare down.

I do plan on my oldest alternating history notebooking and Apologia general. She'll have weekly assignments and has to plan her weekly time during her brother's piano practice.

I want to use CLE Geography because it is so much more than mapwork - it is physical and cultural geography. CLE curriculum in general is painless to schedule and we always get it done with peace and retention. So, I do want them to have a good geography base of knowledge for high school - so I plugged it in for this year...

It has suprised me that so many thought my schedule was overkill when I read all the time on the boards all the programs people use.

Edited by LNC