Menu

Algebra II

We are searching for something to augment Algebra II. My dd is nearly finished Algebra I, and we have used no fewer than 4 different methods trying to find the best fit. Jacob's was far too boring, Teaching Textbook too easy (this is my dd's opinion, she's into science, hates math but has to do it), Gelfand's had problems that were too long and Lial's was a hit most of the time, but dd wants to learn this on her own and there isn't enough teaching. She's nearly done TT Algebra 1, but it's not nearly enough, IMO, but she obviously doesn't want to go backward.

We are going to go back to Gelfand's for the theory, but I was wondering what method would have some type of a CD-Rom or DVD/video teaching that is more challenging than Teaching Textbook. How are the ones for Lial's? Should she go back and complete the Beginning Algebra Book or can she go to the next one based on TT? We need something with the shorter problems for certain days to make life for me simpler. Or is there something else?

We are searching for something to augment Algebra II. My dd is nearly finished Algebra I, and we have used no fewer than 4 different methods trying to find the best fit. Jacob's was far too boring, Teaching Textbook too easy (this is my dd's opinion, she's into science, hates math but has to do it), Gelfand's had problems that were too long and Lial's was a hit most of the time, but dd wants to learn this on her own and there isn't enough teaching. She's nearly done TT Algebra 1, but it's not nearly enough, IMO, but she obviously doesn't want to go backward.

We are going to go back to Gelfand's for the theory, but I was wondering what method would have some type of a CD-Rom or DVD/video teaching that is more challenging than Teaching Textbook. How are the ones for Lial's? Should she go back and complete the Beginning Algebra Book or can she go to the next one based on TT? We need something with the shorter problems for certain days to make life for me simpler. Or is there something else?

My math savvy son would not say that TT algebra 2 was too easy. Not by any means. Perhaps your dd needs to skip the first 20 lessons then dive into TT Alg. 2. I saw my son's work - not easy! He's now doing PreCalc, and TT prepared him well for his course.

and do the Introductory Algebra book. The Intermediate Algebra book was quite difficult for my oldest; however, we did it after Introductory Algebra and she was just too young for the material. The first few chapters (4, I think) of Intermediate Algebra review the material in Introductory Algebra.

As far as the DVT instruction, they cover the concepts fairly well, but the teachers aren't the most exciting I've ever seen. However, they get the job done.

HTH!

Our youngest dd is using Chalkdust for algebra 2 and the instructor is excellent. She is learning quite a bit and having more success than she has had in the past. My only gripe is that I struggle trying to decide which problems (and how many) to assign to her from each section.

Thanks, everyone! For some reason I've either forgotten about or missed posts on VideoText, but had heard of Chalkdust. Chalkdust was so expensive at the time. I'm going to look into these both. I remember doing modules in one of my high school math years. It seemed like they changed methods all the time back then--perhaps they still do. If the instruction on Lial's is boring to some kids, it may well bore my dd. And I am insisting she do Gelfand's, so that's the meat. I realize that Gelfand's is most likely complete, but since we're competing with hormones and a challenging temperment to begin with, I'd like to have the other on hand for the tougher days. We'll work on Gelfand's on her easier days. That way she's doing math (obeying) but I'm limiting my battles. I actually enjoyed the idea behind TT, but it just didn't challenge her enough, and if she's bored she doesn't focus.