Menu

Medical update on me.....

My Dad paid for me to see a neurologist.

The neurologist says I have a "vestibular neuronitis".

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/vestibular-neuronitis-topic-overview

In terms of the abnormality/lesion, he seems confident it is likely a meningioma.

Meningiomas are another type of brain tumor. These tumors:

• Occur most commonly between the ages of 40 - 70
  • Are much more common in women
  • Are usually (90% of the time) benign, but still may cause devastating complications and death due to their size or location. Some are cancerous and aggressive.

The Dr. said that since I don't have health insurance, I can wait for an MRI. He said to see him if my headaches increase in frequency and/or severity. I feel like telling me to wait is risky behavior from a liability standpoint if he thought there was reason for urgent concern. He said to get an MRI when I am covered. Up until found out that my brain had an abnormality, I thought my constellation of issues were related to increased allergies.

Now, I will promptly go back to that and finish papers, finals of my own and creating finals for my students.

My Dad paid for me to see a neurologist.

The neurologist says I have a "vestibular neuronitis".

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/vestibular-neuronitis-topic-overview

In terms of the abnormality/lesion, he seems confident it is likely a meningioma.

Meningiomas are another type of brain tumor. These tumors:

• Occur most commonly between the ages of 40 - 70

• Are much more common in women

• Are usually (90% of the time) benign, but still may cause devastating complications and death due to their size or location. Some are cancerous and aggressive.

The Dr. said that since I don't have health insurance, I can wait for an MRI. He said to see him if my headaches increase in frequency and/or severity. I feel like telling me to wait is risky behavior from a liability standpoint if he thought there was reason for urgent concern. He said to get an MRI when I am covered. Up until found out that my brain had an abnormality, I thought my constellation of issues were related to increased allergies.

Now, I will promptly go back to that and finish papers, finals of my own and creating finals for my students.

He more than likely told you to wait to get an MRI until after you are "covered" because you are likely to NOT be allowed coverage if you have an MRI showing a tumor.

It was a polite way of telling you how to game the system.

a

He more than likely told you to wait to get an MRI until after you are "covered" because you are likely to NOT be allowed coverage if you have an MRI showing a tumor.

It was a polite way of telling you how to game the system.

a

:iagree: If you get the official diagnosis now, it will become a preexisting condition and will not be covered. And brain surgery isn't exactly cheap if that's the route you have to go.

My husband is recovering from vestibular schwanoma(different I realize) which was treated with fractional radiation therapy. Fortunately we were insured prior to his diagnosis. We still paid 6,000.00 out of pocket the final cost was in the range of 75,000.00 to 80,000.00 for the fractional radiation therapy. He is fit as a fiddle and still cannot hear but otherwise ok.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you find employment in your field that has excellent insurance and that your dx is early to give you a range of treatment options. If I seem cavalier please know I am feeling just shocked and worried and I cope by being very fact oriented. :grouphug: