Menu

Student Council - anyone involved in a home school group version?

talk to me about your student council type activities!

*how are reps selected?

*are you affiliated with the local or national student council organizations?

*what types of activities do the kids take on?

I'd love to hear anything and everything. I've agreed to take over as advisor for our group.

What is your group like? I've never heard of a student council for homeschoolers and I'm not sure what it might even look like.

What is the goal of the group?

The goals are pretty much the same as they would be in a school setting: to give students the chance to express their ideas and learn leadership skills, by participating in a group with formal procedures and by organizing activities and acts of service. So the ongoing experience is probably quite similar; a school group and a home-school group would each be discussing and voting on various activities, and then figuring out how to organize those activities and make them happen.

The bit I'm stuck on is selecting reps and electing officers in a fair way - the kids aren't separated into official grades or homerooms, of course! It's always been a very small group, just officers, with each family in the overall group getting one vote. Once elected, they are supposed to get the input of the other kids, but only they can vote. I'd definitely like to expand the group to include more kids, and then have them nominate and select officers on their own. I think that's an important part of the process, plus more kids makes for a more fun organization, and provides a ready pool of candidates for the next year.

Officers are set for the coming year. My thought was to invite more kids to be representatives to the council; they would attend meetings, serve on committees, and get a vote. I'm thinking these reps could be appointed by the current officers upon expressing interest. Then, every rep who fulfills their duties for the year (attending a certain number of meetings, etc) is eligible to nominate and vote for next year's officers, and eligible to be an officer themselves. Or, if they still wish to let every family vote, the council could do the nominating, and voting proceeds as usual.

Thoughts??

Thoughts??

It would have to be attached to a co-op of some kind, wouldn't it? I mean by definition of what it does. I googled "homeschool student council" and got a couple of sites that explained a bit about how their particular student council works. Just in case there is no one here with direct experience. Also- you might cross post this on the high school board because it seems like the kind of thing that high schoolers would be more likely to be involved in.

It would have to be attached to a co-op of some kind, wouldn't it? I mean by definition of what it does. I googled "homeschool student council" and got a couple of sites that explained a bit about how their particular student council works. Just in case there is no one here with direct experience. Also- you might cross post this on the high school board because it seems like the kind of thing that high schoolers would be more likely to be involved in.

Not a co-op, but an overall homeschool group. I found nothing when I searched; my google-fu must have been broken! I'll try again.

and I'll cross post, good idea.