Menu

Logic Stage Timeline

I will have two logic stage students this fall-we want to start a timeline but not sure how to go about it. I do know I want to purchase something.

So, timeline vs. notebook (Book of Centuries, a la Charlotte Mason)?

One for each kid, or is this a family project?

Where to buy what I need?

Thanks again for all your help!

Jennifer

I am going with the one from History Odyssey.

My friend just made a HUGE one down one hallway of her house. All four kids worked on it over the years. it is a sweet memento of her homeschooling years. Other people like to put it in a binder.

I think I would lean towards having them work on it together but you know your kids best. I can see that not going so well with some siblings.

We've been using these books and the accompanying cd of timeline figures.

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/RecordofTime.htm

It was a hard decision to invest this much money. It has been worth it because I've been able to implement this now for 2+ years by preprinting the figures on 2"x4" labels for each year. One dc child has 2+ years completed, the second is just starting. My plan is to continue using the timeline adding more each rotation through history especially on the maps at the back of the book. I can also see using the timelines when we discuss how different civilizations interacted with each other at rhetoric level.

We used 5x7 crds cut in half and taped to the wall so it is moveable. My oldest wrote the dates, my second illustrated them. They are adorable! When we are done, I will mount them on cardstock and laminate the pages for their binder. My dh is also going to scan them all into the computer. My only regret is the cards are multicolored because that is what I had on hand at the time. All one color would have been better.

It was a hard decision to invest this much money. It has been worth it because I've been able to implement this now for 2+ years by preprinting the figures on 2"x4" labels for each year. One dc child has 2+ years completed' date=' the second is just starting. My plan is to continue using the timeline adding more each rotation through history especially on the maps at the back of the book. I can also see using the timelines when we discuss how different civilizations interacted with each other at rhetoric level.[/quote']

We also use these timelines books, but not usually the figures. We all have our own--including mom. I believe they will become keepsakes for all of us.

I made my kids timeline notebooks using printables from donnayoung.org. I used different colored heavy paper for different time periods. I then simply find pictures online, make them the right size, and print them out each week for the kids to put in their books.

It was a hard decision to invest this much money. It has been worth it because I've been able to implement this now for 2+ years by preprinting the figures on 2"x4" labels for each year. One dc child has 2+ years completed' date=' the second is just starting. My plan is to continue using the timeline adding more each rotation through history especially on the maps at the back of the book. I can also see using the timelines when we discuss how different civilizations interacted with each other at rhetoric level.[/quote']

I'm looking at this and wanted to know are the centuries equally spaced. bc even though not much is going on inearly ancients i want the kids to get a sense of periods of mass knowledge in history so i don't mind if a few pages are bare.

Guest jab300

Anyone willing to post pics of their timelines, or links to blog posts? I've been trying to make a timeline for my boys for over a year now and just can't seem to get just what I want.

Anyone willing to post pics of their timelines, or links to blog posts? I've been trying to make a timeline for my boys for over a year now and just can't seem to get just what I want.

I've posted some if you click on my username and go to my public profile. Our timeline is on 3X5 cards hanging on paperclips hanging on a ribbon on the wall. I like it because it's movable when we want to add in something we forgot and we can study from the cards before we hang them.:D

We have tried various options before and finally found what works for us. And wouldn't you believe--it is also the least expensive option.

I got college notebook paper, wrote each century on the top of a page, put in a section called timeline in their binder, and here you go. This is the best thing ever. They both do their own timeline (mine would never look at it if they are not the ones writing things in). They have actually come to like seeing all the things that happend during .....

I am going to make this worse.

I saw something truly cool. The timeline was placed in a long photo box using 4x5 index cards.

OK, so tabs were divided into increments for the years. They were lined nice and neat. A notecard was created using the timeline figures and summary cards from reading (like MOH and SOTW). Short summaries were written on the lines for the figures too. The card was filed behind the tab. I liked this idea, but I went with more of a portfolio/filing method instead. It is something that I am considering for ancients this year.

I just wanted to toss this one in here too. I do not have a link, but I found it on the web. A google for index cards and timeline might return something similar. :) You could have each or your kiddos do their own box too.

Link to ours now ... http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/Chrissy_SC/?albumview=slideshow

Edit:

OK, I found something similar ... http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TimelineHelps/images/indexFile-large.jpg

However, the other family added summaries too like this ...http://hubpages.com/hub/Index-Card-Timelines

Now, what I thought was the greatest idea was the index bleacher. You could bring out/leave out the cards that you studying. You put them in the index bleacher. :) http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=16-901%7CPageID=2502%7CLevel=2-3

That's it. I just had to share. I am so sorry that I could not find the original site!

Edited by ChrissySC