Menu

What is the difference between HOD and OakMeadow?

Well, one big difference is that OM is secular while HOD looks very Protestant Christian. I did OM for 4th and 2nd grade one year and it was very easy to add Christian stuff to it. I didn't feel any conflict at all. But it is secular in approach.

But thanks for this thread! It made me check out the HOD website and the Drawn into the Heart of Reading looks wonderful!

Well, one big difference is that OM is secular while HOD looks very Protestant Christian. I did OM for 4th and 2nd grade one year and it was very easy to add Christian stuff to it. I didn't feel any conflict at all. But it is secular in approach.

But thanks for this thread! It made me check out the HOD website and the Drawn into the Heart of Reading looks wonderful!

:) Did you find it challenging? I am wondering how it is in the upper grades?

Well, it was a looonnnggg time ago, it feels. I did this when my now 20 and 18 yo's were in 4th and 2nd! I love the 4th grade stuff. We enjoyed the book list, I remember it included Heidi and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. We loved the books. I loved, loved, loved the way OM presents grammar. Wonderful. However, the math was so so, we thought. For one thing it would say stuff like: make up 10 math problems to review such and such. This did not help me. I want my math program to provide the problems for me. So we mostly used Modern Curriculum press math and supplemented with OM when it looked interesting or we wanted a change of pace. Also, the spelling didn't go well. My dd really struggled with spelling terribly (she still does; she's dyslexic). We loved all the hands on stuff but we only got to a small portion of it. I was busy having babies and taking care of toddlers so I just couldn't get that hands on. I'm not a crafty type anyway, so it was a real strain. Though I think OM helped me be more crafty than I would have and so that was a good thing. My dd liked crafts and hands on stuff.

As for 2nd grade. We loved the Animals Stories by Arthur Scott Bailey (I think that's his name). In fact I wound up doing that as a read aloud for all my kids for many years after. I refuse to give up my copy even though it is quite worn and my kids are past that age. It brings back so many cherished memories. The math meshed well with my 2nd grader, though we were very casual about it. The readers didn't work for him at all. He didn't read until age 9. Overall, we had a good experience with it. It was just too hands on and teacher intensive for me at that stage in my life. I often think OM would work very well for my youngest now, but we've gotten so unschooly in the past couple years that frankly I think she'd chafe under even OM's fun, gentle approach.

One thing I discovered is that OM might not look that in depth but it really is. There is a lot of substantive learning that goes with the program. They are just good at making it not boring!