Menu

MCT or Growing with Grammar for 3rd?

imhim

For the fall.

I do not know what do choose!!??!! I know I will be doing WWE 3, AAS 2, 3 and A Reason for Handwriting D.

We are finishing up FLL2.

But what to do for grammar in 3rd? I was thinking Sentence Island, Building Language, Grammar ISland by MCT. But I wonder if it is a little too complicated to teach, or too much? I was just going to buy the TM and the practice booklets.

Anyone willing to share their experiences with these two programs?

English is my second language so I need TMs.

Thanks!!

Are you continuing on with FLL3? We are using FLL3, WWE2, GWG2,and AAS right now. I find that to be good coverage. I love the idea of MCT and plan on adding Building Language and Music of the Hemispheres to the mix next year. However I feel that implementing a whole MCT program would be overkill (and expensive)...and ds begs to do GWG. Also, I love that he does it independently since the rest of his LA program is demanding of my time and attention.

MCT is easy to teach, just open and start reading it with your student--it's meant to be a conversation.

If you've already done FLL2, then I would recommend MCT at this point.

My son did the Island level the year after he did GWG3. It was a huge hit. The MCT materials encourage a conversation about language whereas GWG is essentially a workbook and more traditional in presentation. I think both approaches are valuable, so much so that I'm pretty sure we are going to do GWG next year instead of MCT Voyage.