Menu

spelling power

Alice

I'm trying to decide if we should switch spelling programs next year. I posted earlier but didn't get any response so thought I'd try again.

Ds is not a natural speller but is a very good reader and has a good foundation in phonics. We currently use Spelling Workout which he HATES. It's the one thing that occasionally brings him to tears. I think it's more the subject than the curriculum and I can't just not do spelling at all but I'd like to find something he tolerates a bit more.

I'm looking for pretty simple. The thing he hates about SW is that it is boring. He used to like the workbook pages but now he hates it. I think he'd be happy with just a list of words, copying them and learning them. He just wants to get it done and move on. I considered just giving him lists of words but I'd like to make it easier on myself and have some resource that helps make sure he's getting the rules of spelling he needs and also that already has done the work of organizing the lists of words for me.

The little research I've done made Spelling Power look interesting and like a possibly good fit. I haven't seen it mentioned a lot here and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it or uses it.

I have used SP with both natural spellers and one struggling reader. So far it fits the bill for us. For my naturals, it's a 10 minute exercise and it's done. For my struggling reader, it's a great review of phonics, takes about 15 minutes, and then we move on. The best part is that SP doesn't frustrate my children. For a short time we tried SWO and then Sequential Spelling and both were frustrating.

SP is the one thing I don't have to worry about what to use. If only everything else was so cemented! :lol:

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Spelling Power was a HUGE bust for us. There isn't any phonics instruction so if the child has forgotten anything they will be extremely frustrated. My favorite is AAS. We are going to try Apples and Pears once we are finished with it as a follow-up but since I haven't used it yet I can't comment on it.