Menu

S/O Growing with Grammar-how do YOU do it?

Halcyon"We love Growing with Grammar here. I think it definitely is meaty enough, assuming you incorporate grammar memory work and create your own reviews once in a while (we do this about once every two months: I'll create a test based on EVERYTHING my son has learned and see how he does. So far, so good)."

Forgive me, I don't know how to quote something from another thread onto a new thread.:blush:

Thank you Halcyon, for sharing your teaching method with GWG. I'd like to know if anyone else using this can elaborate how you teach it?

Do you just do it as is? Do the tests? Incorporate memory work like Halcyon? Incorporate anything else to it?

We just started GWG and would love to learn how you make it work for your kid!

Halcyon"We love Growing with Grammar here. I think it definitely is meaty enough, assuming you incorporate grammar memory work and create your own reviews once in a while (we do this about once every two months: I'll create a test based on EVERYTHING my son has learned and see how he does. So far, so good)."

Forgive me, I don't know how to quote something from another thread onto a new thread.:blush:

Thank you Halcyon, for sharing your teaching method with GWG. I'd like to know if anyone else using this can elaborate how you teach it?

Do you just do it as is? Do the tests? Incorporate memory work like Halcyon? Incorporate anything else to it?

we use GWG and would be interested in the link to the thread you are spinning off of. thanks.

we use GWG and would be interested in the link to the thread you are spinning off of. thanks.

Here is the link.

GWG has tests now. We'll be adding those next year. We used GWG this past year but have not tweaked it at all. I'm interested too in what others are adding for memory work.

This is nice to know. I do find, however, that when it comes to making review tests, I tend to find the things that my particular student is having trouble with (right now, my older is having trouble, and hence reviewing, the differences between their/there, and also differentiating between homonyms such as pair/pear/pare and does/does). Neither of us like or need busywork, so I go back through his work to find consistent areas of weakness, and make up multiple choice/fill in the blank tests that work with his problem areas. He got 95% today after reviewing the material and so I'm happy.

Re memory work: we use Andrew Campbell's Living Memory (I believe that's what it's called) which focuses on Latin grammar but allows a lot of crossover to English. Both children have learned the "grammar catechism".

We love Growing with Grammar too! It's so easy to do and my daughter does it very willingly. She's been using the concepts she's learned with GWG in her own writings, so it's working very well for us.

The first two levels are so very similar (had I known, I would have started with Level 2). From what people say about every grammar curriculum, it seems to be a common thing. Anyway, we did two lessons per day and we finished the first two levels in a semester. For GWG 3, we do just one lesson per day.

I've purchased the tests for level 3 and glad I did. The workbooks themselves give a lot of review, but it's been nice to see if there's any problems with any concepts.

Starting with Level 3, you get separate student manuals and workbooks. This has worked out fine, and my daughter even looks up her manual when she's doing self-initiated writing, to make sure she's doing things right.

Growing with Grammar has gotten us up to speed very quickly with grammar, which was my goal back in September 2010.

As for memory work, we also do FLL which includes that. GWG is definitely our main grammar program for now though.

I agree with Angela-GWG 1 is really basic, and for many kids, it might be good to take a look at starting with GWG 2. And I didn't realize it, but if you buy the "complete set" it now includes the Test Packet. We JUST got next year's GWG today and I just opened the box! I just had a chance to look through it and I think they look great! What I like a lot is that they "mix up" all the things the child should have learned. Some people have said that with GWG, it is sometimes too easy for the chld to just "fill in the blank" without really understanding. This should help address that issue :)

Edited by Halcyon

Thanks everyone! I'll try to incorporate some memory work.

Halcyon, is there a particular section of Living Memory you use? I know I have that book somewhere, but I haven't unpacked all of our boxes from our move yet, so I can't flip through it.

I didn't know I should have started with GWG 2, oh well ds ususally needs a lot of review anyhow.

Sheesh. I throw the workbook across the table and say, "Git to it!" :D

:lol:

Thanks everyone! I'll try to incorporate some memory work.

Halcyon, is there a particular section of Living Memory you use? I know I have that book somewhere, but I haven't unpacked all of our boxes from our move yet, so I can't flip through it.

I didn't know I should have started with GWG 2, oh well ds ususally needs a lot of review anyhow.

:lol:

Hmm, let's see. In Living Memory, I believe he has a "grammar catechism" section starting on page 106 that we find very useful...are you doing Latin? Because it correlates with Latin, although it's useful for English grammar too. We also use a bit from The Homeschooler's Book of Lists (it comes with a cd for easy printing) which has definitions too. Starting on p. 94, it has a quick and dirty reference sheet of the definitions of the eight parts of speech which is useful, and p. 95 has more obscure definitions (many of which I didn't know...collocations, anyone?)

I create quiz/worksheets based on any misunderstandings I see in his work, such as it's/its and there/their, and regularly do "car quizzes" where I give him a sentence and ask him to find the {part of speech}.

There is so much repetition in Grammar year to year in any program; is anyone else planning to do formal grammar just every other year with dc's who seem to just 'get it' and just teach it during writing and speaking in the off years?

Has anyone (with a child who doesn't generally struggle with retention) tried this approach and had it backfire?

Hmm, let's see. In Living Memory, I believe he has a "grammar catechism" section starting on page 106 that we find very useful...are you doing Latin? Because it correlates with Latin, although it's useful for English grammar too. We also use a bit from The Homeschooler's Book of Lists (it comes with a cd for easy printing) which has definitions too. Starting on p. 94, it has a quick and dirty reference sheet of the definitions of the eight parts of speech which is useful, and p. 95 has more obscure definitions (many of which I didn't know...collocations, anyone?)

I create quiz/worksheets based on any misunderstandings I see in his work, such as it's/its and there/their, and regularly do "car quizzes" where I give him a sentence and ask him to find the {part of speech}.

Thank you for that info! I'm going to have dig through my boxes. We are not doing Latin though, but I do plan on working on root words later. I've seen The Homeschooler's Book of Lists at B&N before, but never actually looked in it. It sounds like it would be a great resource. I'm going to have to add that to my ever growing Wish List!