Menu

If you didn't like AAS, can you please say why not?

Thanks. Considering it for next year.

AND was it annoying that all the words on the spelling lists follow the same rule? (We are coming from PR and SWR, where the lists have all different words) It looks like they could just guess the word based on the rule of the day.

I chose AAS in lieu of PR....and ended up returning 3 levels. I think AAS is a wonderful program, easy to use, etc. HOWEVER the two main reasons it didn't work here were:

1). Way too slow for us at this point. My son could spell words that were WAY AHEAD of where he was in learning the rules. It was pointless to ask him to work on "rules" with really easy words. PR was much better in that he learned lots of phonograms and then began to plug them into a variety of different words.

2). Too many components for us....though it is very organized. I actually did purchase the entire set of tiles to keep up for spelling practice. I like how they are color coded.

I think AAS is lovely.... but a much slower pace. GREAT for some and not so great for others. They have an excellent, generous return policy for which I am thankful.

As far as I know we are not using PR past Level One because I think the AIO aspect isn't a good fit for me. I wish I could just use the spelling portion of PR because I love how it is laid out. Not sure where we're going with spelling for my oldest....right now he's using studied dictation and phonogram review. I plan to review rules on an as needed basis. Still looking for something workbook based (maybe How to Teach Spelling).:001_smile:

I just do not like spelling by rule. I just think it's a horribly inefficient way to learn to spell. There are way too many exceptions, and often multiple legitimate ways to write the sounds in a word.

teach vs. teeth

done vs. dome

bed vs. said

Spelling really comes down to learning the possibilities and then memorizing which words fit each pattern.

I (heart) Apples and Pears for really pounding those patterns in.

abrightmom-I am especially glad to have your input, since we too are coming from PR. (which I LOVE but can't deal with the dvds anymore-it's not getting done because of them!) Also I didn't feel like he got enough review/practice in PR-you learn the words and that's it-no practice with them. I think we'd start AAS in level 3-would that be too easy after PR1? (we only made it to week 24 in PR1 so we didn't do suffixes yet.) Did the fact that the word lists were all for the same rule drive you crazy?

ondreeh-I agree about the rules!

I want so badly to teach like PR but in a pick up and go way! ARGH!

I'm someone who likes AAS, LOL, but maybe this will help with some of your questions. Yes, the words are organized by similarity in the initial lists for teaching purposes, but the review is all mixed. They get review through dictation (and it's ongoing--the words come up later as well, so you know whether they really learned it), and through the cards (you are to shuffle the cards for mastered review, so they review cards not in order).

As for the rules--AAS actually teaches 4 main strategies, like building blocks: phonetic, rules-based, visual, and morphemic. Students start by learning the most dependable words and strategies and gradually progress. The early parts of AAS will focus mainly on the first two strategies, while later levels focus on the others.

Hope you figure out what will work best for you! Merry :-)

For me, it just seemed awfully time- and manipulative-intensive for something that my son really didn't need that much work on.

I will say that my son found a lot of it fun. He liked using the chips and magnets; I'm the one who got frustrated having to deal with all of those pieces when my son already knew all of the words for the week.

I don't know, I think the teaching style just wasn't right for me.

abrightmom-I am especially glad to have your input, since we too are coming from PR. (which I LOVE but can't deal with the dvds anymore-it's not getting done because of them!) Also I didn't feel like he got enough review/practice in PR-you learn the words and that's it-no practice with them. I think we'd start AAS in level 3-would that be too easy after PR1? (we only made it to week 24 in PR1 so we didn't do suffixes yet.) Did the fact that the word lists were all for the same rule drive you crazy?

ondreeh-I agree about the rules!

I want so badly to teach like PR but in a pick up and go way! ARGH!

Well, for me, yes it was too easy. There were certainly things my son didn't know (particular rules) but he knew how to spell. It felt like we were working really hard and going nowhere.

Whether or not you use AAS Level 3 is something that you'll have to decide yourself. AAS has a generous return policy. :001_smile: If you think you're placed well then you'll have to buy and try.... the one thing you won't have are all of the tiles if you start with 3. You may have to add some of those?? Merry can speak to that but I remember getting the main tiles with Level One and then adding new tiles with each level. Some kiddos don't want to use the tiles.... they replace "marking" because they are color coded.

I have to be super efficient and would rather have the kid write the word than pull down tiles. However, I do keep a set of tiles up for demonstrations when we hit a snag. But for day to day spelling work tiles are too tedious for US.

Sorry about the DVD watching! I understand...I bought PR Level One again because I find it easier to just teach through it for a spelling/rules/phonogram foundation. But I really don't want to spend so much time working on spelling in every grade UNLESS I have a child who NEEDS to. With 3 students that takes a huge chunk of a day.... If we have a phonogram foundation and an understanding of basic rules then I think we'll do fine using a workbook (Rod & Staff) &/or studied dictation with personalized rules work as needed.

I wish you the best!! The teaching of spelling has become so complicated!! :001_smile:

I didn't like it at first when I was using it with my older ds. I think it was because I wasn't using it as written. I tweeked it too much. He is a very strong reader but his spelling wasn't all that good.

Fast forward two years later...my youngest son has some dyslexic tenancies and is very much a hands on learner. I decided to try the program with him as it was written. We are both LOVING it! He needs the review of the cards (and he is retaining it all too!) and the movement of the tiles. His reading has improved. He'll notice words within his reading that follow the rules he has learned and he'll run over and show me and tell me the rule. I NEVER thought this kid would enjoy reading.

As far as the words all being alike...I think it reinforces the rule they have learned. I have been creating my own lists from the words he has learned already and we'll review them...all mixed up. :001_smile:

We dropped it at the request of my ds12. He felt all the emphasis on separating words into sounds and talking about phonograms was babyish. He just wanted a workbook and words to memorize. I think it's a great program but spelling just isn't a battle I'm willing to fight. :glare:

Thanks for all this info. I had the epiphany after this to not make spelling so complicated. I don't think I would do well with all the manipulatives, etc. I'm pretty sure the words all following the same rule would bug me. (I actually had AAS 1 and 2 a few yrs ago and sold them quickly but that was for a different reason-dd just took off with spelling and I could see it would move too slowly.)

He has a good base from PR1, and now that he is reading more, I see him naturally picking up how things are spelled. That's how older dd was and that's how I am.

I think I'll just use the SWR lists-use them straight, plug them into Spelling City, etc.

Thanks so much!

Forgive me for forgetting how old your kids are. Since I can't remember, this recommendation might be useless.

I agree with Katrina that AAS is was too slow unless the student really needs a slower pace. We did both PR1 and PR2 but I probably wouldn't do PR2 again. It was fine but the foundation from PR1 really was enough to move on to something else. I personally think that once a student knows his phonograms and understands the concept of how phonograms and rules work to help spell then you can move to primarily dictation (both studied and cold). I am currently doing dictation with my 2nd grader along with Phonetic Zoo cards. I didn't buy the whole setup - just the cards. Each card has a rule and a set of words (with 3 levels of words some of them are pretty hard). I use the words on the card as an informal spelling list. We talk about the rule and she likes to write the words. Some days I have her write a sentence with a few of the words. We don't do a card every week. I don't do a lot of 'testing' with the words. It's more to keep the spelling rules fresh and she likes having a spelling list (she's an odd duck LOL).

And when I think she needs it - we drill the phonogram cards.

Heather

Heather-yes, we often think along the same lines! I have on my list here for him-"SWR spelling lists and studied/regular dictation"-lol-great minds think alike! I think this will work out well for him and keep things streamlined. I am going to check out the Phonetic Zoo cards-are they easy to figure out w/out the whole program? Do they have the syllable rules, etc?

I also have the SWR rule cards.

BTW, he is 8, rising 3rd grader.

When you replied to my post about PR2 a couple wks ago (that it's not really necessary), it helped me so much. I was so happy to release myself from the PR burden!

Glad you like Spelling City-we love it here.

Edited by HappyGrace

That's the thing with PR. It's a very good program - no doubt. But if it's feeling like a burden, it's just not worth it. There are other ways to get there. I am very glad we did PR1 and I'm not sorry we did PR2 but after that it just becomes too much grammar (which I prefer to approach other ways) and not enough spelling. Plus with that kind of foundation you really can do spelling in a more streamlined approach. I think for those that want the AIO approach and want to do the rest of LA the way PR does, then it's really great. But I already have my dictation/CW approach set up for the future so I don't need it.

And I am NEVER going to forget how old your son is again. My youngest is going to be 8 at the end of the month and is a rising 3rd grader. You think I should be able to remember that LOL.

Heather

I am going to agree with some others here. I started my oldest in SWR in 1st grade. I wasn't confident in my ability to get it done. I ordered PR, looked at the dvds and sold it. For 2nd-4th we worked through AAS levels 1-4. They were all too easy for him and due to the fact that the lists were organized by pattern, ds would fly through the list then never apply what he learned to other writing. Also, he had learned all of the phonograms in 1st grade with SWR and after four levels of AAS he had yet to apply some of them. So, it also moved too slowly for us. We have gone back to PR and it is working great for us. I still don't like the dvds, but I work around them.

I still have a fondness for AAS. I use the syllable division rules that we learned there and I also set up boxes for the words in PR similar to AAS and we review the words that way.

AND was it annoying that all the words on the spelling lists follow the same rule? (We are coming from PR and SWR, where the lists have all different words) It looks like they could just guess the word based on the rule of the day.

Yes that is a very big problem, IMO.

I want to see that post! Can you link it?

Here ya go:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267108

Yes, Heather, just thinking about the AIO of PR2 was making me get panic attacks. Streamlined is definitely what I am shooting for, at this point. And don't feel bad-I didn't realize either our youngest dc were the same age/grade!

MGof3-I'm so glad to hear your experience with AAS after PR-I'm more convinced than ever it is not the way to go for us-thank you!

I found it had too many pieces, cards, magentic cards letters, and was too scripted. Too much stuff to take out and put away and so I would dread it and avoid.

:iagree: We are still using it and are in Level 3, but may not be for next year. I also agree it moves slow. DD8 has learned a lot from it, but detests the tiles so mostly she writes the words and we only use the tiles for lessons. But I don't like them much either. I think it is a good program, and love that it is open and go. I think we aren't much of a flash card/manipulative type of family, however.

That's the thing with PR. It's a very good program - no doubt. But if it's feeling like a burden, it's just not worth it. There are other ways to get there. I am very glad we did PR1 and I'm not sorry we did PR2 but after that it just becomes too much grammar (which I prefer to approach other ways) and not enough spelling.

Could you explain this some more? I thought that PR 3 got into etymology, vocabulary, pre-latin?

Yes, Heather, just thinking about the AIO of PR2 was making me get panic attacks. Streamlined is definitely what I am shooting for, at this point.
It isn't really AIO. There are three different sections in the notebook and you can teach them as far apart as you want. You can be on week 20 in spelling and week 10 in grammar and week 30 in literature...

LOL PR is called "streamlined" all of the time.

I would never switch spelling from PR to AAS. AAS is just as teacher intensive and that is why I am thinking about switching.

Here is what I am thinking: DD does very well in LA. She enjoys LA and she can do LA fairly independently. Why then am I spending more time and money on LA? She needs help in math and she loves science but we are stealing from those subjects in order to spend the time and money on PR.

Edited by Lovedtodeath
I need to read the other thread... hold on I will probably move some of my comments there.

Could you explain this some more? I thought that PR 3 got into etymology, vocabulary, pre-latin?

Well it does, but the main focus of spelling is not there as much because frankly after PR1 and 2 you really don't need a lot of formal spelling. So it moves to etymology (I didn't see vocab as much but I did sell PR3 before using it) and a lot of prefix/suffix and root studis along with grammar and the literature studies. I didn't like the Little House study so having even more work tied to literature studies in PR3 and 4 doesn't interest me and I already have a writing and grammar plan (we use dictation, narration, JAG/AG and Classical Writing - depending on the age) for 3rd and up. I know that prefix/suffix studies are nice but my older two are doing very well with using Latin studies and reading to develop robust vocabulary so I haven't seen a reason to spend a great deal of time in that kind of study.

I think the hard thing here is that PR is an excellent program. There is no question about it. If you do PR then you have a very good LA foundation. I just already have a way to approach LA for kids past the early PR levels that I have seen work extremely well with my older two so I'm fine with that. I also think that for those who view PR as a spelling program, PR3 and 4 will seems excessive because it really ceases to be a spelling program and becomes really a full LA program. You need to be comfortable with it's approach in all areas of LA to make it worthwhile. If you are, then it's a great choice. If you aren't, its an expensive program with some spelling.

Heather

What are you using now?

Well, I did AAS after a good grounding in SWR*, which we did to learn to *read*. (I can't quite wrap my head around it for spelling.) We then did books B and C of SWO, and have moved over to SWS, as my son likes the paper and the top binding much better. It is rather similar to SWO without the little reading intro and no proof reading marks. I like the latter, as did kiddo, so I think the next long weekend I have, I'm going to make up some error'd paragraphs and have him proofread.

*The reason I mention this is because as we are doing dictation, when he hesitates over a word, I can mention "it is the the third sound of this vowel" and he'll know what to put. I also using the finger clues we learned, as well. What I mean is, our grounding *together* in the methods of SWR help us along in our work in spelling and writing class.

I didn't like the easiness of the words, the cost for those easy words, the pace, etc.

How to Teach Spelling's TM has words for k-12, spiraled dictation, all the rules, etc for under $30.

As far as learning spelling via rules, I have strong opinions on that as well. :D It works for some kids, but definitely not for all. For struggling spellers, I recommend Apples and Pears with HTTS as follow-up.

How to Teach Spelling is a great program that is OG based just like AAS and PR. We have already worked through books 1 and 2. I am getting book 3 to supplement with next year. It has workbooks, but it is still based on more teacher intensive dictation, so I want to use SWS&V as our main spelling program.

Too slow for my slightly natural speller. I also got sick to death of saying "Knock it off" in response to the racing car sounds he kept lapsing into as he moved the letters about on the board.

Mine did that too! I just stopped using the tiles for spelling. We only use them for introducing a concept, then he spells the words by writing them on the white board. This has worked for us.

Unfortunately, any Spalding/O-G program is going to be teacher intensive. I'm not sure *why* though. It seems like it'd be easy to make something like AAS into an independent workbook format that just requires mom to do some dictation at the end of the week or something? Oh well. For now, I'm only schooling 1 child who didn't have phonics instruction when learning to read, so AAS is very good for him. When the next child starts school (officially), the first one will already be done with AAS, and the second child will have learned phonics, so he may not need AAS or other O-G type programs.

I like the strategies taught in AAS, and all the spelling workbooks I've seen have not taught some of the rules that my son thought were helpful. He's very much a rules type of guy. You tell him a rule (or other strategy), work on words that use that rule (strategy), then he has that rule (strategy) and how to apply it committed to memory. I've seen him apply the rules to words he was reading outside of spelling. So it's working, and the program is scripted and holds my hand (since I don't know most of those rules :tongue_smilie:).

I've waffled back and forth on spelling many times. Teacher intensive is ok for me at this point in time, because I'm only officially schooling 1. I looked at Spelling Workout at a convention, and when introducing the hard c vs. soft c words, it didn't say anything about when they make these sounds! It just listed the words. My son likes to know "why". I'd love to find a workbook that actually taught the why, rather than just relying on patterns. A streamlined workbook version of AAS would be perfect - show a rule/strategy, show some example words, do some work with those words, do a dictation test at the end that uses those words and words from previous lessons. That would work so well for my son, and it's basically what I'm doing with AAS right now, as we don't need all the kinesthetic aspect of it. He's not really a "struggling speller". He just never learned phonics beyond what Starfall.com teaches when learning to read. AAS has pushed him past the 4th grade reading level hump. So he definitely needed the phonics and the syllabication strategies.

I looked at Spelling Workout at a convention, and when introducing the hard c vs. soft c words, it didn't say anything about when they make these sounds! It just listed the words.

This drives me CRAZY! After using Spalding/O-G, it is hard to do anything else.

I definitely agree with Heather-PR is great, but truthfully is not getting done here because of the dvds. I just don't want to spend that much time on spelling and bringing in the other aspects (grammar, etc.) will put me over the edge.

I'm thinking now that we know the phonograms, etc, I can use them like kalanamak said-pointing out which phonogram, rule, etc. to use-in the word lists of SWR and in dictation. I just want spelling to be more simple.

Oh, and I do have HTTS here from years ago but it just doesn't appeal to me, for some reason. It's the old adage of the material needing to work for the *teacher*, I guess!

ETA:I remember now that I also didn't like HTTS because all the words in each word list follow the "rule" they just learned. This is similar to what I wouldn't like about AAS. I like how SWR, PR, etc. have a mixed word list, so they are not just applying that one rule that day.

Edited by HappyGrace

ETA:I remember now that I also didn't like HTTS because all the words in each word list follow the "rule" they just learned. This is similar to what I wouldn't like about AAS. I like how SWR, PR, etc. have a mixed word list, so they are not just applying that one rule that day.

The dictation in the TM (HTTS) includes cumulative review. One of my boys complained about not any review in the HTS workbook and I realized I was skipping much of the phrase and sentence dictation that is in the tm.

I didn't like AAS for my older kids because

-words were too easy

-overkill for them

-too many components and I had to put it all together.

-no real 'levels'--it seems you really have to buy EVERY level to get the full spelling program $$$$$$$$

-I don't like scripted programs

Well it does, but the main focus of spelling is not there as much because frankly after PR1 and 2 you really don't need a lot of formal spelling. So it moves to etymology (I didn't see vocab as much but I did sell PR3 before using it) and a lot of prefix/suffix and root studis along with grammar and the literature studies.

Heather

Well, I did AAS after a good grounding in SWR*, which we did to learn to *read*. What I mean is, our grounding *together* in the methods of SWR help us along in our work in spelling and writing class.

You were both so helpful! Thank you so much!