Menu

Favorite writing programs...

for mom's who don't like to write?

Alison

Don't like or don't feel comfortable (cause those are two separate issues)?

I guess, either way, the best curriculum on the market I've seen for this circumstance is IEW. Get it. Pudewa does the teaching. There is a structure and guidance. Don't get the TWSS (manual teaching parent the method so that you can implement). Get the Intensive course on DVD and follow with the Continuation Course. The teaching is done for you, the assignments are laid out in the book and you simply need to give your dc feedback.

HTH,

Lisa

Edited by FloridaLisa

Don't like or don't feel comfortable (cause those are two separate issues).

I guess, either way, the best curriculum on the market I've seen for this circumstance is IEW. Get it. Pudewa does the teaching. There is a structure and guidance. Don't get the TWSS (manual teaching parent the method so that you can implement). Get the Intensive course on DVD and follow with the Continuation Course. The teaching is done for you, the assignments are laid out in the book and you simply need to give your dc feedback.

HTH,

Lisa

:iagree:

Don't like or don't feel comfortable (cause those are two separate issues).

HTH,

Lisa

Yes. This is good advice.

I'll add that you do need to watch the DVD lessons with your child so you know how to give feedback.

My son loved IEW and my DD did not like it (but didn't hate it either). MY dd is visual/kinesthetic though and hates all video lectures. She hates just about everything in the world so take her opinion with a grain of salt.

Word Smith Apprentice is written to the child and is for grades 4-6. My son enjoyed it.

I love most things about IEW. I use it for my kids, and I teach it at a co-op. What I have found is that it is useful for *everyone*, whether they are prolific writers or completely reluctant - there is something for everyone. My co-op girls are writers, and some of them resisted the structure of IEW, but let me tell you, their writing benefited from it (many prolific writers do lack structure and editing skill at this age, and I don't mean spelling/grammar editing but content editing). It killed them to be limited to 5 paragraphs on certain assignments but they grew as writers. So I guess my point is that even though IEW is particularly effective for struggling writers (like my daughter) it also has great benefit for confident writers.

HTH,

Lisa

i thought you had to get the TWSS to understand how to critique/grade their writing.

robin

You don't really have to have it, especially if you're doing the SWI along with them. It helps, certainly, but if budget is keeping you from starting the program, you could definitely be successful with the SWI on its own. Andrew teaches it directly to the students, so all the info is there.

Yes, exactly. If budget or time or mental energy is an issue, you can do well with just SWI followed by SWCC or a theme-based book. Of course, TWSS is great and you should do it if you can, but if you can't, don't skip the program just because of that.

Yes, exactly. If budget or time or mental energy is an issue, you can do well with just SWI followed by SWCC or a theme-based book. Of course, TWSS is great and you should do it if you can, but if you can't, don't skip the program just because of that.

Can you link me to WriteShop samples? I can't even figure out what level by the website, so I think I was missing something there.

We used Write Shop for 6th-7th-8th grade. You may read my review here. I liked it because it provided all the hand-holding I needed with specific, detailed instructions for both ds and me.

I also have an email written by a lady who used both IEW and Write Shop comparing the two. Email me if you would like it.

You don't really have to have it, especially if you're doing the SWI along with them. It helps, certainly, but if budget is keeping you from starting the program, you could definitely be successful with the SWI on its own. Andrew teaches it directly to the students, so all the info is there.

Lisa

Mine hated IEW and any program like unto it in method.

I would look at The Five Finger Paragraph method, Writing Skills by EPS books, or just work through assignments with them.