Menu

spelling help

Alice

My son hates spelling. It's definitely his least favorite subject. We use Spelling Workout and are currently finishing up book C. I'm not sure it's the curriculum as much as the subject but I'm trying to find something else he might like more.

He's a very good reader (just finished The Hobbit and all the Narnia books) but not at all a natural speller. Personally, I feel that his hatred of spelling is a sign of intelligence. ;) (I'm a horrible speller myself but a voracious reader.)

His main complaint is that it's "boring". I think it's getting the job done but it's painful. My main goal with him is that he can recognize that words are misspelled so he knows to look them up and that he can spell within reason. He's never going to be a spelling champion.

In looking at other programs I can't really find anything that I think will appeal to him more than what we have so I'm inclined to just stick with it. It's cheap and simple enough.

Any exciting but simple spelling programs out there?