Menu

If you are knowledgeable about milk, can you please read-raw milk,homog. vs. nonhomog

We've been getting organic raw milk for a few yrs and it's been great. But now my dc aren't liking the raw milk, so I need to get other milk for them to drink plain or on cereal; I only put the raw in shakes.

I can get a good local milk, which is slow pasteurized. They offer homogenized or non-homogenized. I would prefer the non-homo because I've read when it is homogenized it pulverizes the fat globules in an unnatural way which makes whole milk (which my skinny dc drink) bad for cholesterol.

But the dc don't like the non-homog. :glare:

I was okay getting them whole raw milk because it's in its natural state. My question is, if I have to get the homogenized local milk, would it be better to get 2% instead of the whole milk?

I would say no. I'd buy the whole.

Something I was doing for awhile in regard to this, according to Sue Gregg of homeschool-mom cookbook fame, was buying non-fat milk and heavy cream. I then created un-homogenized whole milk by combining the two (but it wasn't like raw, fresh milk either -- kind of an in between of homogenized store bought and non-homogenized raw). If interested, I believe the recipe was 2/3 cup heavy cream into a half-gallon container, then add non-fat milk to fill; shake.

Edited by milovaný

I actually do think the type of milk matters.

Dd got very sick three times the one month she was off raw milk. (She has supressed immune system from Lyme disease-was practically bedridden for almost 9 months last year.)

Also she is skinny as a pin and eats all organic, non-processed food and has since birth, but has hereditary high cholesterol (dh had a heart attack a few years ago due to high chol.) We need to be careful of her cholesterol.

So, yes, I am more concerned than most would probably be about the type of milk we drink.

Thanks for the Sue Gregg info. I will look into that.

Sorry if I seemed flippant. And FTR, we have been drinking only raw milk as part of a cow share program for about four years. So, I am not unfamiliar with the issues. It seems that 3.5% fat (full fat) versus 2% fat isn't going to make much of a difference either way. It is a 1.5% difference. Minimal difference and prob not worth worrying about.