Menu

I am so hooked on the idea of making amigurumi. (Little crocheted animals or figures).

I was reminded of this desire last week when I got a glimpse of Star Wars amigurumi - here's another set.

And then there's the LOTR set

Does anyone else do these? I can do basic knitting, but not crochet yet. I'd love tips or links to sites that explain the basics or have easy to follow patterns (easy to follow not always being the same as easy).

(Oh my, while looking for links for the post I ran into Firefly cross stitch. I'm not sure I can resist making one of these, too.)

I've done some crochet amigurumi and most of it is just single crochet (sc) in a round, increasing and decreasing to get the shapes and then stitching the pieces together. I have not used web patterns but those in the magazine Crochet Today.

A couple years ago I did a lot of amigurumi. It was a lot of fun! I learned all my crochet via You Tube and other crochet videos on the net. There are a couple of nice books out there too that helped too...

Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden and Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet [Paperback]

Ana Paula Rimo

I love Amigurumi! There are lots and lots of free patterns up on ravelry. Also, the Lion Brand yarn website has tons, and really good instructions...search on key word "Amigurumi" from the drop down list.

So what I'm hearing is that the NOVA WTMers need a coffee shop get together with knitting, crochet and book talk.

I am so hooked on the idea of making amigurumi. (Little crocheted animals or figures).

I was reminded of this desire last week when I got a glimpse of Star Wars amigurumi - here's another set.

And then there's the LOTR set

Does anyone else do these? I can do basic knitting, but not crochet yet. I'd love tips or links to sites that explain the basics or have easy to follow patterns (easy to follow not always being the same as easy).

(Oh my, while looking for links for the post I ran into Firefly cross stitch. I'm not sure I can resist making one of these, too.)

Must.Have.Ewok

Must.Have.Yoda

Must.Have.R2D2

Must stop looking at more amigurumi patterns! :lol: If my kids happen to see them, I will never have a moment's peace till I buy and make those little SW guys.

I love to crochet amigurumi, and have made quite a few. I learned from Amigurumi World, then checked out every ami book our library had. I also used some online patterns from the Lion Brand website.

The Klutz crochet book has the clearest learn-to-crochet instructions I've seen. That's how I learned to crochet.

Ami are easy to make. Nearly all of them are made from single crochet. The trick is to use a hook that is smaller than the yarn label recommends. You want a tight fabric so the stuffing doesn't show through.

I've never tried to knit soft toys. I'd think they would be stretchy. And they seem like they'd take longer, because it always takes me longer to knit something than to crochet a similar project, even though I've had much more knitting experience than crocheting experience.

I love Amigurumi! There are lots and lots of free patterns up on ravelry. Also, the Lion Brand yarn website has tons, and really good instructions...search on key word "Amigurumi" from the drop down list.

The Lion Brand website was a great tip. Several easy easy patterns to mess around with.

Oh, Sebastian, my 14-year-old would love to make knitted and crocheted animals with you all day long! She makes animals for new babies at our church and for all the neighborhood kids. She gets her patterns from the Lion Brand website and from a little pattern book called "Vanna's Choice Easy Crochet Critters." She taught herself everything she knows.

She will love the Star Wars and LoTR figures!

I love Amigurumi! I've mostly made little critters for my kids, but it's a good time. I'd love the Firefly one..one of my kiddos is named after a character from the show.

I'm up for a NOVA WTMers get-together..I have a throw for my living room that I really need to work on! I'll teach you to crochet if you teach me how to knit! :D

I used the crochet version of stitch and b*tch to learn how to crochet. I agree with a pp that amigurumi is great b/c it only requires some simple stitches. The most difficult part is not getting interrupted mid-row by a kiddo and then forgetting which row you're on! :tongue_smilie:

Lion Brand and ravelry are great for free on-line patterns. Bev's free crochet site is great too.

:tongue_smilie: Star Wars, LOTR, and Firefly crafts in one post!? You're killing me here. I might be on the edge of spending a small fortune and I just crocheted my first amigurumi a couple months ago.

FTR, I've been knitting for years and years. I just learned to crochet this winter. It's been super easy to pick up. I'm making all sorts of complex things already.

So what I'm hearing is that the NOVA WTMers need a coffee shop get together with knitting, crochet and book talk.

OH YEAH!!!!! I have an unfinished TARDIS Amigurumi I've been staring at for two months now, and little 10 and Rose Amis, too.... the twirling girlies have been begging me to finish them.

Must.Have.Ewok

Must.Have.Yoda

Must.Have.R2D2

Must stop looking at more amigurumi patterns! :lol: If my kids happen to see them, I will never have a moment's peace till I buy and make those little SW guys.

I love to crochet amigurumi, and have made quite a few. I learned from Amigurumi World, then checked out every ami book our library had. I also used some online patterns from the Lion Brand website.

The Klutz crochet book has the clearest learn-to-crochet instructions I've seen. That's how I learned to crochet. Thanks for this info...I want to crochet, really I do but I.just.can't.do.it! Maybe this will do the trick. I learned to knit from a kids book so I'm hopeful.

Ami are easy to make. Nearly all of them are made from single crochet. The trick is to use a hook that is smaller than the yarn label recommends. You want a tight fabric so the stuffing doesn't show through.

I've never tried to knit soft toys. I'd think they would be stretchy. And they seem like they'd take longer, because it always takes me longer to knit something than to crochet a similar project, even though I've had much more knitting experience than crocheting experience.

OH YEAH!!!!! I have an unfinished TARDIS Amigurumi TARDIS!!!! Where?! How?! Now I MUST learn to crochet!!! I've been staring at for two months now, and little 10 and Rose Amis, too.... the twirling girlies have been begging me to finish them.

so many crafts...so little time (sigh)