Menu

Curricula you've been happy with this year...let's start a list

Halcyon

This year, we've been particularly happy with:

1. Getting Started with Latin: open-and-go, enjoyable, incremental, gentle yet definitely challenging for a beginner. We'll do LfC A next year and I think we've got a great base.

2. Singapore: We switched from Sadlier Oxford in 2nd grade and his conceptual understanding at this point is wonderful. He can pick apart multi-step problems and work them through to the end. His number sense has greatly improved as well.

3. Spelling Power: we switched after trying both Megawords and Spelling Workout...my boys are natural spellers and this simple program (we just use the word lists and then look up definitions if they're unknown) is straightforward and suits us just fine.

4. Writing With Ease: love, love, love. Love. Love. Did I mention I love this program? :D My younger loves it (but he's a natural writer) and older, for whom writing is less natural, has grown by leaps and bounds. He can "hold" two sentences or more in his head, punctuation is wonderful, grammar has improved. He still is not great at forming more complicated sentences, but I think for 3rd grade he's doing fine. We've been exposed to great literature through the workbooks, and the narration work is laying solid groundwork for the middle years.

Add yours!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few that stood out this past year for us.

• Singapore Math - my daughter has improved dramatically, can't believe it
  • RSO Science - fun and easy to do science!
  • Growing with Grammar and First Language Lessons - this combo has worked out so well for us. We accelerated learning grammar so we can tackle advanced writing programs
  • Elementary Spanish - we started using this more seriously and the results are showing, daughter is speaking Spanish throughout the day. Easy to teach, just give Senora Cana 20 minutes a day. We also use GSW-Spanish and other resources but our favorite is ES.
  • Geography - going off and doing our own thing and learning tons
  • All About Spelling - this has always been a favorite
  • Evan Moor workbooks - we started using some of these resources and it's a quick and easy way to get some extra practice in stuff like vocabulary, reading, geography.
  • MCT - just started and having more fun than expected!

Heck, we just love everything, we love homeschooling! :)

Edited by Satori
Edited to add a few more I forgot about.

Math Mammoth-using for both dd8 and dd11-gives a great conceptual understanding

CLE math-our spiral "spine" for both dc-keeps math concepts constantly fresh

R+S English 5-quick, to the point, rigorous

TOG-I loved this and dc did too-did Sept-Dec with it-unfortunately had to stop; my dc are too far apart academically to do this together; also we needed to back off on history to spend more time on skill subjects. But it was so nice having everything all pulled together for me-the proverbial banquet for me to choose from rather than having to piece it together myself.

Saxon Phonics 1-although it's not the most colorful and fun program we have tried, it's the one that is getting done.

Bob Jones-I love this math. I have had a few light-bulb moments teaching it to my son. Next year three of my students will use BJ math.

Soaring with Spelling- we started with another program. SwS is split into five days, the pages are clean and not distracting. All my children (3 currently) are using it.

Phonics Pathways-I like using this to reinforce spelling rules and dictate sentences. I'm looking forward to the 10th edition.

Teaching Textbooks 3 & 5 (it hasn't been a year yet). Math is finally getting done with two of my boys.

This probably doesn't count, but Homeschool Tracker has made my entire year so much easier.

Other than that, Rod and Staff English stays at the top of my list year after year. It's the one subject I haven't waffled on over the course of our homeschooling.

1. Apples and Pears Spelling. It is the only program I've found to lead my son step-by-step to create a visual memory of patterns and words.

2. CLE Math has built a very strong foundation.

3. Writing Skills (EPS) is finally teaching my son the structure of writing.

4. Singapore MPH Science gets right to the point and includes interesting activities.

5. The Complete Book of United States History is proving to be a fantastic (secular) spine for U.S. History, and my son is loving all the read-alouds I've been coordinating with it.

Math Mammoth: Although you can't beat Right Start A&B for a solid conceptual understanding, after that I feel that my kids are learning more math in less time with MM.

Getting Started With Spanish: We previously used Elementary Spanish for two years and got nowhere. The kids claimed to like the videos but learned nothing (pardon me, learned nada). They both love GSWS, it's far cheaper than ES, and the material has much more depth. I combine it with Scholastic Spanish magazines, and the kids are learning more, using more, and more excited.

Wheeler's Elementary Speller: Didn't use any spelling program before this. My dd9 is learning spelling rules in a meaningful context, not just drill-and-kill.

Real Science 4 Kids: I tried chemistry the WTM way, with Adventures with Atoms and Molecules. The kids loved the experiments. Unfortunately, I HATE experiments, and they just weren't getting done. What I loved about WTM-style science in 1st and 2nd grade, reading together with the kids, was totally absent from AWA&M. We started RS4K a few weeks ago. The kids love it, I enjoy it, they are learning a lot more than they did from the dozen or so AWA&M experiments we did, and, most importantly, since I don't dread teaching it, it's getting done.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
typo

WWE- love,love,love also!

RS4K

American Pioneers and Patriots

The Child's Story Bible-Vos

Phonics Pathways

Reading Pathways

FLL 1-2 Combo

FLL3

Read alouds and tons of audiobooks!

Have not found a perfect fit math yet..... looking at CLE

Edited by MyLittleBears

1. Abeka Phonics (Letters & Sounds) - I will forever sing praise for this program

2. Spell to Write and Read

3. Saxon Math

4. We liked Galloping the Globe, too.

5. Oh, and Miquon as a supplement

The new things I've been happy with are:

• The Writer's Jungle
  • Visual Latin
  • Elementary Greek
  • Sequential Spelling
  • Evan Moor Beginning Geography
  • Evan Moor 7 Continent Series
  • Map Trek
  • Sonlight 6 (history/lit)

We're always happy with :

• Rod & Staff English
  • Saxon Math
  • Evan Moor Daily Word Problems
  • Writing With Ease
  • Phonics Pathways
  • Plaid Phonics

We didn't have many duds this year :001_smile:.

All About Spelling - started out good, then I got lazy and started using it my own way. I was refreshed at the Cincy conference after hearing Marie Ripple and it is going better than ever!

Christian Light Math - 2nd year in a row and LOVE it still.

Tapestry of Grace - Many years of LOVING this one. Took a break for awhile but returned 2009.

Writing With Ease - Just started but it is going so well!

First Language Lessons - I have used this over the years, but with a slightly older student, it is going better than ever for a gentle introduction.

Rod and Staff English - Off and On throughout the years, but for the first time I am really putting in an effort with it and TEACHING it and it is going FANTASTIC!

Heart of Dakota - My daughter is getting ready to start her 3rd year with this program. She is my independent one and she is the only one who uses this.

Well those are my favorites. We use other things, but these are my TOP PICKS!

Oak Meadow K

MCT Island

Writing With Ease

Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization

Those are the four that stand out the most at this point as having knocked my socks right off.

I was happy with a lot of things though, happy enough that we'll definitely use them again. McRuffy Color Math, Moving Beyond the Page for science and social studies, History Odyssey, Key to Decimals, Literature Pockets, Noeo Chemistry 1, Phonetic Zoo, Math Mammoth - these are all things that will be sticking around on the shelves for the next child and for which we'll likely buy other levels (if we don't already own the other levels).

Apples and Pears Spelling and Write Shop Primary are a couple of programs we started using half way through, or towards the end of the year. I *think* I'm in love with Write Shop Primary, but we'll try using it for a whole year next year to be sure. I *think* Apples and Pears is really improving my ds's spelling, much more than AAS, but I'd like to use it for an entire year before getting my hopes up too high.

Latin Primer (New Edition): Doesn't get much love on this board but the new edition is so easy to teach. The TM is thorough with extra hand-holding, tests, answers, derivatives...no more reinventing the wheel. Looking forward to Primer II.

ALEKS: Supplementing Singapore Math. Expensive but worth it for us.

Rod and Staff: Just as good this year as it has been for the past 16 years :tongue_smilie:

Biology: Exploring Life (AKA baby Campbell) Loving this. Coupled with Thinkwell Bio Videos and labs, this is a solid honors Bio course.

Traditional Logic Don't need the awful videos. The book is broken into bit-sized pieces. We used to use Canon Press, but this is much better. I tossed my old edition of Canon Press.

The Human Odyssey My pick for the best Logic Stage history spine, particularly if this is the second time through the cycle.

Writing with Ease Gotta do the shoutout and add my voice to the crowd. Thankful every day that SWB wrote this one.

Barb

We have loved:

AAS

IEW

Ko's Journey

Teaching Textbooks

Mark Kistler Online

Aleks

Timez Attack (they now have division)

Drive Thru History (love, love, love, love, love this!!!)

Learn and Master Guitar

MCT Grammar (like it...don't love it but I love the way it teaches)

Apologia General Science (14 yr old is doing this solo, but says he loves it)

Gosh, we've had a good year! :D

Oak Meadow 5 (loved Oak Meadow 4 last year, looking forward to Oak Meadow 6 and Oak Meadow K next). Creative, hands on, interesting discussion and writing assignments, yet not dry or textbookish at all.

Teaching Textbooks 5. Will definitely be continuing with TT. My daughter has gained tons of confidence in math, enjoys it, and has done very well with it as per her standardized test scores this year. Frees me up lots, too, which is great, because I don't even like math.

Story of the World, Volume 1. We only do this over the summer when we're not busy with our main curriculum, but we always enjoy it when we do it over the summer. This summer will be our third summer working on it. We both enjoy the stories and the various crafts and projects.

Singapore Math

SOTW2

FLL2 mixed with GWG2

WWE2

RSO Life

Reading Reflex for my reluctant reader

HFA Middle Ages

How to Teach Art to Children

SSL-we are just listening to it repeatedly, no workbook yet...but my children love it

We are just getting into Miquon and about to begin AAS. Hopefully they'll be on the love list too. Then I can stop spending so much time here researching. :001_smile:

CLE reading, math and LA....another year in love....we already started next years books because the kids didn't want to stop.

We started WWE and the kids love that too.

Our read aloud time. We have read tons of books mostly from the WTM, Sonlight, Veritas press and other books suggested on here...mostly taking place between 1775 and 1900.... Which was our time period for this year.

Science was a total bust...complete epic fail.

I just purchased Elemental Science and I am hoping to do that over the summer.....it looks right up our alley.

Faithe

Bob Jones Science--It's the science that actually gets done in this house. Other science programs were too boring or too complicated.

SOTW--love all of them. Little prep needed. We do about 1 project a chapter.

We don't love the other stuff. We don't hate it either. It's just "there."

We just bought "How to Teach Art to Children" and I have high hopes....

CLE reading, math and LA....another year in love....we already started next years books because the kids didn't want to stop.

We started WWE and the kids love that too.

Our read aloud time. We have read tons of books mostly from the WTM, Sonlight, Veritas press and other books suggested on here...mostly taking place between 1775 and 1900.... Which was our time period for this year.

Science was a total bust...complete epic fail.

I just purchased Elemental Science and I am hoping to do that over the summer.....it looks right up our alley.

Faithe

Faithe, have you decided what you'll be using for next year?

Love this post! :bigear:

I really had to think hard about what we love this year as we have had a rough year! Did tons of research and hoping next year comes together better.

Little Stories for Little Folks (Catholic Phonics Program)-almost done with this with my Ds and he is such a great reader now. I used this with both my kids and loving the results.

Behold and See 4 (Human Anatomy and Health from CHC) and that is because my Ds can do this all on his own and he retained a lot of it. I find it boring (no pictures) but it gets done.

Just started MM this week and we are loving this and hoping we can say the same in a month or two!!

What I loved, or what DD loved? ;)

If she had her way she would do ALL content subjects of course, but what gets the job done and WORKS for skills are:

AAS (finished level 1, now onto 2)

Rod and Staff 2

A Beka - A Handbook for Reading and readers (now done)

AAR Pre-1 (for DD #2)

WTM writing techniques - we had always done copywork, but I really appreciate the new understandings of narration (written) and writing out of the existing course of studies

We have also really been liking Sonlight :).

AAS, but only after dropping the tiles since they were keeping me from teaching.

GSWS, with good results from doing all the lessons orally after I realized that there was a discrepancy between translating on paper and listening/translating sentences orally.

Grammar-land (audio)

SOTW/MOH audiobooks

Faithe, have you decided what you'll be using for next year?

Hahaha....nope, not really. I have some loose plans floating around. We will be sticking with CLE...for math, LA and reading/ lit. As far as history and our other subjects.....

that is another post...which I will post...lol...I think....

Faithe

SOTW 1

Elemental Science Grammar Biology

FLL 1 & 2

WWE

SSL

Saxon

TWTM history, literature, science.

ASS

Sonlight Core 1 / B ( Core only )

Sonlight Core P3/4 & P 4/5 ( Core only )

OPGTR

HWWT

Most of all Homeschool Tracker, for keeping it all in one place !! So I don't have to juggle all the teacher books !

Well, the Visual Latin guy is a hoot. So far we're going slowly through, as we're trying to get our feet planted firmly first with GSWL. I do love the Visual Latin though, and it adds a bit of fun to our days.

Besides that, well, I'd have to say something vintage and something free. That just about does it for us.

Hahaha....nope, not really. I have some loose plans floating around. We will be sticking with CLE...for math, LA and reading/ lit. As far as history and our other subjects.....

that is another post...which I will post...lol...I think....

Faithe

Lol, i'm having the same problem, but i'm thinking of keeping it real simple

Outstanding this year:

The Human Odyssey Vol. 1: Prehistory through the Middle Ages (K12)~~~the way history books should be

Earth Science (CPO)~~~great combination of hands-on exploration and strong content

Dd has had such a good year with those choices that we'll continue with The Human Odyssey Vol. 2 and CPO Life Science next year :D

Well, since I am in planning mode and need to think about this for next year, I'll play!

Am loving:

Math Mammoth

FLL 1

MCT Island w/ the big boy

Nancy Larson Science

Started about a month ago and loving, loving: Phonics Road 1

still WWE, especially as my boy continues through it!

Jumped ship:

RSO Earth

OPG, used most of this year, but w/ PR for #2 I dropped this

English from the Roots Up vocab cards (was that what it was?), just never made it happen w/ the big boy

History was great. I used Guest Hollow and my own creation w/ tons of living books. I think I am finally figuring out what works for us, which just means I'll have to figure it out all over again! :) It has been a fun year and I feel like we are hitting our stride.

Edited by AppleGreen
RS4K and RSO, can't keep those abbreviations straight!

Math Mammoth

Writer's Express

Write with the Best

RSO Earth & Space

R&S Spelling and Grammar

Megawords

We have enjoyed all of our selections. I will note that HO Modern, level one, has been extremely difficult to "get to." Yet, I have enjoyed it. I have choosen MOH though for the second rotation. :)