Menu

Which level of R & S English should dd be placed in...

My dd (10) will be grade 5 next year. Would I put her into the grade 5 text or step back to grade 4. She did Primary Language Lessons last year and is currently doing LLATL grade 4. I realize neither of these are the same as R & S, so thus my concern about which level to place her. What is your opinion?

Blessings,

Pat

I'd use 5 too.

In fact I am starting R&S with my 5th grader next year. The only formal grammar he has done is FLL 3 a couple years ago, and is not strong in LA. I ordered 4 and 5 (for my next oldest), so I had them both to compare. After trying out a few lessons scattered through the book with them both I have decided to start them both at grade level (5 and 6).

I agree she should be fine in Level 5. HOWEVER, on the chance that she begins struggling, or doesn't quite get it, don't give up on R&S! Try the Level 4. I did that with dd. She's a bit younger for her grade and Grammar is NOT her thing! We tried Level 5, and she wasn't quite ready, so we dropped back to 4. It wasn't that "challenging" for her, but it filled gaps, cemented facts and gave her more confidence!

You can see some sample pages from each level here: http://www.rodandstaff.info/samples/english/ I'm using grade 5 with my 6th and 7th graders, and we do most of it orally and then they do parts of the corresponding worksheet pages for some written work. It's been working well, and we look forward to using book 6. I want them to *love* their grammar and really get used to using their skills across their subjects, so we keep it light and happy. :)