Menu

Moms of many-Help!-Overwhelmed-long vent

I just have two boys ages 10 and 6. Here is what saved me as I felt the same way! I made a chore list and it is hung on the frig. It has after breakfast chores, after lunch chores, afternoon chores, and after dinner chores. This is very helpful and helps me get things done. The kids know what they need to do and when. I usually have to remind them and occasionally I find things not done. A side note when that happens they have to pick an extra chore out of my "chore bag" and these chores are things that don't need to be done too often but I struggle getting done (dust bookshelves for 10 minutes, clean out the car, clean out a kitchen cabinet, etc.-my youngest may not be able to do a good job, but that doesn't matter to me). I also have a list of stuff they are allowed to do during school time when they are done with their individual work. This keeps the boys out of trouble while I am working with the other. Our list includes free reading, free writing, puzzle, educational games, play dough and crafts with a reminder they are responsible for cleaning up afterwards. I also read a book called Managers of Their Homes by Steven and Teri Maxwell and got lots of helpful hints from that and have set up our schedule for myself and my boys M-F from morning till dinner time. We don't stick to this schedule 100% of the time, but my boys know what they are suppose to be doing during the day so that I spend less time directing and get stuff done. I don't agree with everything the Maxwell "teach" but their books was extremely helpful. We also schedule a "make up day" every other Friday to catch up when we get behind and our regular Fridays are usually just 2 subjects anyway. Whenever I get overwhelmed we take a week off and get projects done that are dragging us down and then we are ready to start clean again.

We are using MFW CtG next school year to help us combine some of our subjects. Right now we just do art, music and PE together. Next year we are combining science and history to help out. I didn't expect how much more school time I would need with a first grader this year! Just some things that have worked wonders for us. You are not alone! :)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank-you for so many encouragements, ideas, rebukes, etc. All of them are welcome.... Boy, my mistakes are staring me in the face today!! I have tried to take my IDEAL (HOD) and force it to fit our family....I have really really beat this thing into a bloody pulp. Well ladies, it just isn't going to fit this crew. . . I have been so stubborn about it too . . .

So, I'm going back to the drawing board and I'll choose what I know "fits" and set "ideal" to the side...for now. I have a comfortable list of what I 'like' and what 'fits'...I just need to burn my HOD catalog.

The kids and I are going on a walk....it's not raining right now and the sun is sort of peeking through the clouds.

Angel Bee,

You are so sweet. I would love to sip coffee with you...and peek at those Phonics Road Level One notes. I bought Level One again and it arrived yesterday.... I am trying to reconstruct notes based on those left by the previous owner and my own memory. :)

I can copy the notes and send them to you. :)

I really hate posting without reading the entire thread, I just don't have time :) Please forgive me if I am unhelpful or am trying to answer a question you have already answered for youself.

Math- There's not much you can do to make this easier on you. It's all mom intensive at this age, isn't it? I'm having my 2nd grader do BJU math online next year. Is that an option? I know it is terribly wasteful of me and I hate to spend the money on elementary math (especially since I can't use it for the rest)....but I can't do it all.

English: R&S (I know we tend to avoid this for littles, but while they are doing a bit of the written work it might give you a break to work with another child) Drop WWE for narrations/copywork/dictation across curriculum (more below)

Spelling: R&S or another workbook program

History: Something like A Living History of Our World with notebooks. You can combine all of your kids and the narration prompts will help make sure those skills are being exercised. Living books with narrations as you are able.

Science: Apologia with notebooks AND experiment kit (good for narrations)

Bible??? Read through the Bible, work your way through a cd of hymns, catechism if applicable

Just throwing a few ideas out there for your consideration. I'm in the same boat :glare:.

Edited by Robin's Song

Yep, I think this is my reality. Admittedly, I am a VP/Sonlight/maybe MFW Mom....I just keep thinking that HOD is better. But it won't fit us. I have to face it. And I have been so darn stubborn about it too. Drat.

I don't have many, just 3, but sometimes it's seemed like their are 10 of them, so I thought I'd give it a try. As Faith said, you are in a season, and there will be multiple seasons. You are learning and yes, what looks great on paper, will not, for some reason, necessarily work in reality...I don't know why. :confused:

I've used a couple HOD packages now, and I will confess one thing (seriously) that the HOD support board depresses me. There are so many mom's doing multiple packages and I couldn't ever seem to get one package done...so I now avoid their website..it's better for my self esteem :tongue_smilie:.

As others have said, I'd focus on the reading and the math. I think you said Bible was a priority of yours. You could start your morning off reading a great kids' Bible (or whatever you prefer) and read for 10 minutes while all 3 kiddos are doing their handwriting. Then you can ask them questions, or do some simple memory work (scripture, poem, whatever) for about 5 minutes...so in 15-20 minutes you could have a simple Bible, handwriting, and something memorized. Then, start with math on one, while the others play with the baby, play lego's, or do an educational game on the computer possibly.

My oldest two do not work well together, so I'm used to tag teaming everyone in their school..I use PBS, the computer, puzzles, etc, to keep them busy while I'm working one on one. It's fine to let them go off and play while you are doing math or something similiar. Over the years my oldest's non-independent nature (wants me by his side all the time or he's distracted), plus their different abilities and attitudes have really put me through the ringer, but also taught me patience, and not to set goals that aren't achievable...so keep things simple.

One thing I did, that helped, was not to push grammar, spelling, or writing. So early on, I focused on phonics. I don't usually start spelling until 2nd grade, when my kids are reading fairly well. I also don't start grammar until 3rd, or writing until 3rd or 4th. Now that my older two are reading well and have moved on, and I've learned how to manage things better, then I expect that my last child will actually begin grammar sometime in 2nd grade, and she's already started spelling at the end of her 1st grade year...but I have learned how to manage things better and I have more time to begin these things.

I'd also suggest keeping things simple. I use a timer for my kids in math, and when the timer goes off we stop...same thing in spelling. So for math in 2nd grade, I'd probably set the timer for 10 minutes...maybe 15. My middle child is quick, so 15 minutes of math with her is like 25 minutes of math with my oldest, lol. Set appropriate goals for each child and keep it simple.

Do some great science video's, or history video's together...that counts :D. Also, taking a day off and just doing science or history and not doing English or math is fine every now and then.

Keep in mind, that while things sound great and you might want to use something that someone else uses...it has to work at your house with your kids. Sometimes things work great for awhile, then suddenly for whatever reason it stops...or you just get tired of the same old thing. I've bought and sold Math U See...then bought it again and am loving it...because early on I wasn't ready to use it the way it needed to be used...I needed more experience. Same way with a spelling program and a few other things.

I have to go tend to a sicky. Just know that you aren't alone and you do not have to get things "right" this instance. Try to go simple for awhile and be flexible.

Oh, I also wanted to encourage you by saying that even though my older two didn't start spelling until 2nd grade, or did math for short amounts of time, and no grammar until 3rd...they just successfully passed a CAT test and scored above average...so I didn't ruin them :lol:.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk or have questions.

Alison

Ok....listen to me. I have been around this block for a long time...and as an older woman...with older grown children...I give you permission to put your ideals on a shelf...admire and aspire to them, then get down to the real...and not the ideal.

Homeschooling goes through seasons. Right now you have little kids. Even you oldest is a little kid. To put it in perspective...your oldest is the same age as one of my youngest....There is plenty of time.

Don't kick your own butt. That is just too self defeating. Set a school time...say 9-12... And during that time focus on the 3 r's. Have Lunch, naps, cuddle time...and work in books that are both beautiful and educational. You would be surprised at how many books we read aloud at bedtime. :D.

One thing I did learn...I always start with my most pain in the rear kid...get him done...and then move on. I was always teaching him last....and his classes got dropped the most because I was tired and he is just so much work. I let my other kids know I was going to work with him first and they had the option of doing as much as they could independently or they could play and then work later on into the day. They chose to work independently...and I found they could do a great job. I do teach them the new lessons daily, but they have taken the responsibility of there learning onto themselves.

I know how hard it is to have certain dreams for school, or kids, or their sports or whatever, and have to give them up. It is hard. But, it is also realistic. I had dreams of a warm cushy CM school...with art prints, classical music playing on the background as my darling recited his new memorized verses and children who looked up at me with dreamy eyes while we read Shakespeare....ummmmm......then I got these kids!! These kids who LIKE workbooks....and cover their ears and run outside...barefoot...in their undies half the time....when I have the classical station on.

Take a nice deep breath and take some time to reevaluate what you would like to accomplish...then set realistic goals...then make up a plan to reach those goals.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Faithe....who also has to choose between real and ideal daily.

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: Coming back to re-read this again!

Thank-you for so many encouragements, ideas, rebukes, etc. All of them are welcome.... Boy, my mistakes are staring me in the face today!! I have tried to take my IDEAL (HOD) and force it to fit our family....I have really really beat this thing into a bloody pulp. Well ladies, it just isn't going to fit this crew. . . I have been so stubborn about it too . . .

So, I'm going back to the drawing board and I'll choose what I know "fits" and set "ideal" to the side...for now. I have a comfortable list of what I 'like' and what 'fits'...I just need to burn my HOD catalog.

The kids and I are going on a walk....it's not raining right now and the sun is sort of peeking through the clouds.

Angel Bee,

You are so sweet. I would love to sip coffee with you...and peek at those Phonics Road Level One notes. I bought Level One again and it arrived yesterday.... I am trying to reconstruct notes based on those left by the previous owner and my own memory. :)

I completely understand this. When I first started to hs, CM was my absolutely ideal way. I wanted so badly for our family to enjoy great literature. I came to the understanding that I had to let go of that ideal, and find what works for us. It was sooo hard to do, but I did it. Now I just take what I like from each of the different approaches and apply it to us. I became a very relaxed homeschooler. We read books that have to do with the topics that I want us to learn about in history and science. The only thing I will require of them past Kindergarten is math and reading, then by middle school we will become more rigorous in the other topics. Yes, it would be great to learn a foriegn language, study historical art and composers, have awesome notebooks that track our educational journey, etc, but that just doesn't work for us at this time. Maybe, just maybe, one day:)

First.... hugs to you! I think hearing how you should be able to do it is the last advice you are looking for. My kiddos are about the same age as yours.. 7,6,4, and 2. I have the same "ideal" curriculums picked out and sitting on the shelf. I keep trying to make them fit our life. The reality is they just don't at the present time. I have bought and sold Phonics Road (multiple times, which is scary considering my children are rather young). We loved MFW adventures as well. The reality is that with children these ages, life NEVER goes as planned, and it seldom goes the same two days in a row. So, I find myself beating myself up for not following through with my "schedule". I have looked at curriculum options so many times until my husband says I must own some of every curriculum ever designed. I tend to gravitate towards the same ones you have listed. So, long story short....I can relate.

On a positive note, I think I have finally hit a place where I have peace and can breathe. I finally quit buying curriculum that is scheduled. If it is scheduled , I have decided to think of it as day 1,2,3,4,etc. vs. week 1 monday, tuesday,etc. This has helped me just push forward as we can vs feeling like a failure if we only accomplished 3/4ths or 1/4 of the days plans. I always thought that the weekly would keep me on track. I have found that just knowing what is next in each subject is a better fit because I don't become discouraged at the end of each week.

I have set quarterly goals. I will evaluate our progress at that point. I WILL NOT let myself obsess over how much or little we did each day. I will look at the big picture not become stuck because the baby had a bad day or the oldest just wanted to be outside. We do have structure. The three oldest have a checklist and a folder with some independent math and vocabulary to do each day. The checklist has chores and all of the school work listed in general terms (this helps me to keep track that we are actually getting something accomplished). Each night they bring me the checklist to get a small allowance. This puts the responsibility on them (one less thing for me to remember to do). They also must complete independent tasks on the checklist before having any screen or outside time. If I become busy and the day falls apart, I know that they have at least completed some math, reading, and vocabulary each day. I try to have reading be related to history so that it is being addressed even if I can't get to it.

IEW PAL reading and writing has helped us immensely. My oldest are not really using the beginning since they can read well.But, we are doing story sequencing and discussing copywork together (which is most of the time that it takes). The youngest is not doing AAS yet. But, otherwise I really have been able to use PAL phase 1 and 3 simultaneously with different children without requiring too much individual time. It is definitely working better than when I was trying to do PR. We do Rightstart math. I instruct the third child for just 10 minutes or so (only 3 times a week) and then have the oldest play math games with the 3rd. We are using MOH for history and we all do that together. It is very manageable. I used to try to add 10 things to it. I have stopped adding although I still try to use VP cards. I love them. We are slowly doing apologia astronomy. SLowly being key. It is the last thing I worry about getting done. If they want to be outside we try to look at creation around us and chat about it! My oldest is doing math online with EPGY math. I can't say enough good things about it. PM me if you want details. He loves it.....which is saying a lot!!!

I have no idea if this will help or confuse. Just thought I would share what FINALLY works for us! I send you happy hugs and prayers. Just realize this young stage is just a stage. Find some things they can be independent with and just move forward as you can with a big goal, not daily or weekly, in mind. Oh, sorry for the broken grammar and stream of thought writing..I am tired!!! Good luck, Kim

Edited by kbed0849
clarify

Ok....listen to me. I have been around this block for a long time...and as an older woman...with older grown children...I give you permission to put your ideals on a shelf...admire and aspire to them, then get down to the real...and not the ideal.

Homeschooling goes through seasons. Right now you have little kids. Even you oldest is a little kid. To put it in perspective...your oldest is the same age as one of my youngest....There is plenty of time.

Don't kick your own butt. That is just too self defeating. Set a school time...say 9-12... And during that time focus on the 3 r's. Have Lunch, naps, cuddle time...and work in books that are both beautiful and educational. You would be surprised at how many books we read aloud at bedtime. :D.

One thing I did learn...I always start with my most pain in the rear kid...get him done...and then move on. I was always teaching him last....and his classes got dropped the most because I was tired and he is just so much work. I let my other kids know I was going to work with him first and they had the option of doing as much as they could independently or they could play and then work later on into the day. They chose to work independently...and I found they could do a great job. I do teach them the new lessons daily, but they have taken the responsibility of there learning onto themselves.

I know how hard it is to have certain dreams for school, or kids, or their sports or whatever, and have to give them up. It is hard. But, it is also realistic. I had dreams of a warm cushy CM school...with art prints, classical music playing on the background as my darling recited his new memorized verses and children who looked up at me with dreamy eyes while we read Shakespeare....ummmmm......then I got these kids!! These kids who LIKE workbooks....and cover their ears and run outside...barefoot...in their undies half the time....when I have the classical station on.

Take a nice deep breath and take some time to reevaluate what you would like to accomplish...then set realistic goals...then make up a plan to reach those goals.

Faithe,

You rock! 'Nuff said. :)

Katrina, can you remind me what HOD programs you are running? More importantly...:grouphug: to you and prayers. On any number of occasions (hmmm...like yesterday :glare:) I could have very well written your post! Except, add a few olders to my plate, including a 9th grader whom I fear is NOT doing enough daily and whom I fear I am neglecting. :D Okay, so you have already received some wonderful advice and encouragement from ladies far wiser than I. I'd like to try and help you work with what you have (HOD) if I can, but only if you want. Make sense? At this age, like other PPs have said, the 3 Rs and Bible are the most important...all the rest is gravy. If you are overwhelmed, try to take a step back and just focus on those for a while and read some good books together. Have you ever looked into FIAR? Anyway, don't want to give you something else to look at.

Couple thoughts: I overplan the year and flow as we go. If we "get off schedule" for a couple days/weeks it doesn't mess us up. We just keep rolling.

A.M.s are skill work, afternoons, content area.

Realize that life is seasonal. Your kids will get bigger, the toddler will get beyond toddling.

How to Get it All Done is a Saturday Special I wrote for HSV. Perhaps you'll find some useful info in it.

Blessings and peace to you as you care for your family.

Gosh, I don't know what to say. I'm sorry...

I do think it is O.K. to give hugs and encouragement to a Mom who is working hard but struggling in finding her way. Practical, no nonsense counsel works too. I do appreciate that. Home education is not for the faint of heart.... my heart is faint and some days I do feel like I am hanging on by a thread. The threat of utter failure stares me in the face constantly. It is intimidating me in this season....

I am sorry. Perhaps I should NOT have posted. :confused:

I guess that I struggle with expectations....maybe?! Reading TWTM or other tomes about home education and then trying to fit my family to those ideals or paradigms....not sure how to do that. Perhaps I just need to continue to try and over time I will figure out what works. The fear of forgetting something important or neglecting something important is hovering over me. I guess I am struggling to decide who to listen to when so many voices are speaking out about what matters in educating a child...

If there were only one correct way to educate children, there wouldn't be so many philosophies, so many voices. The only purpose in even considering the multitude of opinions is being able to find the one that works for your family. There are a lot of things posted on this forum as supposedly being the best way to teach that I won't touch. Most of all, what is really far more important than curriculum selection is consistency of teaching. A "poorer option" used daily with a mom sitting there explaining what they are doing is going to produce far better results than a "better option" that leaves mother and child frustrated, confused, and unwilling to engage.

Your children are really young. Now is the time to focus on developing your routine, flow, and finding your feet. If you are teaching the LAs and math, you aren't forgetting or neglecting anything important.

One of the biggest hurdles that new homeschoolers who read this forum have to overcome is to not get sucked into the idea that kids need to be doing a zillion different subjects from the day they draw their first breath and that lists of really long curriculum means the best educational philosophy.

I don't really know anything about HOD or PR, so I can't comment directly on those, but when our educational house is in disorder, I stop everything and deal with one issue at a time. For example, I cannot function if our house if a disaster and the younger kids' sleep schedule is off, etc. If I can't function, neither will our homeschool. We will get far more accomplished if I take the time to deal with my own distractions.

I would then focus on the oldest's schedule first until I managed to work out the kinks with it. Does he need to be beside you in order to get anything done? (I have had several kids that at ages under 10 couldn't get anything done if they weren't right beside me. My current 9 yod is like that.) If so, it is often easier to accept that and be physically present while they work.

I would add in the 7 yr old when you feel confident in what you are doing with the 8 yr old, etc.

I wouldn't add in anything beyond the basic 3 Rs until you feel in control. Then I would only add in 1 thing at a time.

Having a firm school calendar with fixed breaks for shopping, organizing, planning, etc had also helped me cope better. 7 weeks one followed by 1 week off is the only way I stay sane and am able to continue (that and a long summer break.)

I still don't understand specifically what is causing you to not be able to create a successful environment. If you can think of specifics that would like help sorting through, I am sure there are plenty of people can help you create feasible strategies.

I haven't read all the replies yet but I hear your cry. :grouphug: I have 8 blessings, teens on down to babies.

1. These years with your kids being little will be over in a flash. So, ask yourself this: What will I regret doing/not doing after they are grown? Live with no regrets. Asking yourself this one question can give sudden clarity to an otherwise confused mess. Boil it down to your big rocks in the jar...put those in first...then add the small ones in as there is room.

2. Remember hsing during these intensive teaching years with a baby/toddler as well is THE most challenging thing you will ever do. Give yourself a break! Stay the course and you will be harvest the fruit later. Accept the fact that hsing and parenting many children is a very busy and full life, and will only become more so as they grow.

3. Set yourself up for success by setting reasonable expectations for yourself. :)

4. Recognize that there is no such thing as PERFECT curriculum. This was (and is) a hard one for me to wrap my mind around, as I am a perfectionist and idealist extraordinaire...which I can see you are as well from your posts. ;) This translates into continual researching, which translates into continual curriculum switching. Save yourself the trouble I and my kiddoes have been through and resist the urge to do this, ever hoping for the ultimate homeschooling and curriculum nirvana. It doesn't exist. Whatever you use, or switch to, will bug you in some way and feel lacking in some areas. :glare: So pick what you feel comfortable with and try not to look back, unless something is TRULY not working.

I've used SL, ACE, CLE, R&S, and a gigantic mixture of a ton of other stuff. I switched to HOD two years ago, and sure enough, after the honeymoon, the dissatisfaction and "itch to switch" reared its head. I disliked some of the books, I felt a few things were lacking, blah blah blah. That's when it hit me that this would never end if I didn't end it. So I muscled over the hump and I have be contented ever since. Is it perfect for me? No. Do I do it perfectly? No. Might there be a better program out there for us? Possibly. Do I and my kids and husband have the time, energy, and money to keep changing things up? Nope. Is HOD an excellent curriculum? Yes. Do I like it? Yes. Does it fit most of my hsing goals? Yup. So I'm accepting any imperfections and going happily on our way.

All that to say, pick what feels right to you, whatever that may be, and enjoy the ride! :)

MP

Edited by home'scoolmom

If I were in your shoes, I would just focus on the 3 R's next year with maybe a FIAR volume for the rest. Then, ECC would be perfect for your kids ages the following year. I agree with you about CTG, but the rest of the years look great to me. I'll be using Veritas Press's online history courses for ancients, something I would consider looking into.

If there were only one correct way to educate children, there wouldn't be so many philosophies, so many voices. The only purpose in even considering the multitude of opinions is being able to find the one that works for your family. There are a lot of things posted on this forum as supposedly being the best way to teach that I won't touch. Most of all, what is really far more important than curriculum selection is consistency of teaching. A "poorer option" used daily with a mom sitting there explaining what they are doing is going to produce far better results than a "better option" that leaves mother and child frustrated, confused, and unwilling to engage.

Your children are really young. Now is the time to focus on developing your routine, flow, and finding your feet. If you are teaching the LAs and math, you aren't forgetting or neglecting anything important.

One of the biggest hurdles that new homeschoolers who read this forum have to overcome is to not get sucked into the idea that kids need to be doing a zillion different subjects from the day they draw their first breath and that lists of really long curriculum means the best educational philosophy.

I don't really know anything about HOD or PR, so I can't comment directly on those, but when our educational house is in disorder, I stop everything and deal with one issue at a time. For example, I cannot function if our house if a disaster and the younger kids' sleep schedule is off, etc. If I can't function, neither will our homeschool. We will get far more accomplished if I take the time to deal with my own distractions.

I would then focus on the oldest's schedule first until I managed to work out the kinks with it. Does he need to be beside you in order to get anything done? (I have had several kids that at ages under 10 couldn't get anything done if they weren't right beside me. My current 9 yod is like that.) If so, it is often easier to accept that and be physically present while they work.

I would add in the 7 yr old when you feel confident in what you are doing with the 8 yr old, etc.

I wouldn't add in anything beyond the basic 3 Rs until you feel in control. Then I would only add in 1 thing at a time.

Having a firm school calendar with fixed breaks for shopping, organizing, planning, etc had also helped me cope better. 7 weeks one followed by 1 week off is the only way I stay sane and am able to continue (that and a long summer break.)

I still don't understand specifically what is causing you to not be able to create a successful environment. If you can think of specifics that would like help sorting through, I am sure there are plenty of people can help you create feasible strategies.

THIS is so helpful....wisdom...pouring out. This is helpful...all that you have shared....

My house is disorderly due to growing pains and a less than ideal house ...we are working together to make it work for us though it has caused a lot of strain. My husband has little time to devote to it but gives as much as he can to helping me organize the little spaces.

I ordered a planner and I think it will help me tremendously to have one place to put everything....calendar, kiddos school plans, menu, etc.

We are adjusting to new bedtime routines due to shifting kids around.

DH's work schedule has been very erratic and that spills over.

My oldest needs a LOT and is incredibly draining in this season....your counsel to focus on that kiddo and nail down his routines is so wise. I am trying to attend to everybody at once and it's not working. I think the littles can ride it out for awhile...

Getting the 3 R's down pat and then adding 1 thing at a time works for me. THAT works.

The firm calendar is being worked out on paper....waiting for my planner....have printed some of those donna young calendars so I can sketch out an annual plan. Planning in a week break every 6 or 7 is an excellent idea and I think it would help me to stay on track. I can make up house work, errands, etc. during that week as well as regroup on the school plans.

Thanks for hanging in there with me....It's the kind of counsel I need to hear.

If I were in your shoes, I would just focus on the 3 R's next year with maybe a FIAR volume for the rest. Then, ECC would be perfect for your kids ages the following year. I agree with you about CTG, but the rest of the years look great to me. I'll be using Veritas Press's online history courses for ancients, something I would consider looking into.

DH gave me the green light to do a VP class on-line if I desire...I'm planning on it. It was going to be a supplement for my content hungry oldest but it may be my golden ticket this year...Bible & history in one. :001_smile:

I am just discouraged in fitting my ideal into my reality....

I think that's the key. What makes any worker (homeschooling mom, office worker, IT, daycare, business exec. etc., etc., etc.) successful is taking a good hard look at reality and acting accordingly. You will not be able to give each of your children the one-on-one time that an only child gets. It's just plain impossible. Yes, we all want the best education for our children, but I promise the best education is one that a) happens consistently, and b) happens in a home filled with joy and love without a stressed perfectionist mother (speaking from experience there!) Focus on the basics, pick a curriculum (preferably not the most teacher-intensive) and stick with it. It gets trickier when they get older, so don't make it harder than it needs to be now.

I like to print out weekly excel spreadsheets for each child. It lists all the work required of them by day. My kids know that mom will get to them for their one-on-one at some point, but while they are waiting for me they are working independently (this is why it is crucial when you have more children to not pick all teacher-intensive products!)

I do as much combined teaching as possible, and we try our best to enjoy ourselves. Plenty of outside time, nature study, and exercise help immensely.

HTH,

I GUESS I NEED PERMISSION TO DO WHAT I NEED TO DO TO KEEP EVERYBODY MOVING FORWARD EVEN IF IT MEANS THAT MY CLASSICAL/CM IDEALS ARE OUT THE WINDOW AND I NEED TO KNOW WITH A FAIR DEGREE OF CERTAINTY THAT BY NOT DOING EVERY THING EVERY DAY AND IN EVERY SEASON I AM NOT GOING TO ACADEMICALLY OR SPIRITUALLY RUIN MY CHILDREN.

:001_smile:

Permission granted :001_smile:

Oh, this post is so goodĂ¢â‚¬Â¦I had to comment on it. I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been to this forum in a long time (long story, plus every time I clicked on a link I would get a virus in my computerĂ¢â‚¬Â¦crazy, I know) Great post as usual, Mommyfaith. I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t read the whole threadĂ¢â‚¬Â¦I can honestly say I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t got the time. But I can relate.

Nothing has worked out exactly as I planned from the beginning. Not one thing. But still, things are working out- just not ideally. (Actually, some things worked out even better than I planned, but those were just lifeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s little bonuses.) And itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s very, very far from my perfect picture Ă¢â‚¬Å“homeschoolĂ¢â‚¬ on most days. Some years we took two to complete a program, some years we simply dropped the program and started another, and then another. Ack! Now I am trying to choose less and demand less. Maybe, just maybe, I have learned a little bit after all these years of homeschooling.

It will come together, you will get there. Focus on the basics and be thankful when you can squeeze in the extras. Look at all that you do accomplish and be proud of all of it. (after all, *you* did all of thatĂ¢â‚¬Â¦wow!) You have a lot on your plateĂ¢â‚¬Â¦no one can do it all. Most of us try at some point, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s extremely hard. Something has to give, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t let it be your sanity. Enjoy yourself; enjoy your time with your children. Time flies and then there will be new challenges...(LOL)Ă¢â‚¬Â¦but you will have many joys during your journey.

Really...so enjoy!:grouphug:

DH gave me the green light to do a VP class on-line if I desire...I'm planning on it. It was going to be a supplement for my content hungry oldest but it may be my golden ticket this year...Bible & history in one. :001_smile:

That's awesome. I'm so happy for you.

In our home, we have to keep the house somewhat orderly because disorder drives my husband batty. So, instead of getting so caught up with getting school done, I've learned to stop when the house is out of order. I either give the kids some fun time while I clean, or better yet call it home ec and everyone pitches in to get the house straightened up.

Alison

Perhaps this is what God is doing in me right now.... teaching me to trust Him to lead me instead of trusting the awesome curriculum plan written by someone else that covers every base perfectly and will turn out perfect children.

:iagree: When I read where you had posted this I immediately thought of Gideon in the Bible and how God kept whittling down his army to where it was only 300 men. Why? Because God wanted the Israelites to KNOW that the victory belonged to HIM not to the army. Maybe God is trying to get you to whittle all that curriculum down so that the victory of your children's lives is based on HIM not on the fact that you used HOD, MFW, etc. but on the fact that you were a homeschooling mom dedicated to God not a curriculum. Focus on that every morning...God you are my focus not our curriculum!

You've gotten really great advice about focusing on the 3 R's, working with your oldest for a while to cement some things, etc. Use that and God will give you the strength to get through...it's a promise :grouphug:

When I read your first post I thought for sure the ages of your "olders" was going to be above 10. As Faithe said above, your oldest is not that old. :) I think you might be trying to do too much. I know it's a tough balance, skills are most important at this age but content is what gets them excited about learning. :)

I think you have some good advice about starting with the oldest and getting him in a routine and then moving down. Your 5yo doesn't have to do everything right now, particularly if you read to your kids. I hear in your posts that you want to get it right, get it perfect, and that's just not possible. Researching everything is not going to lead you to the perfect answer - sometimes you really do just have to try some things until you find your fit.

Good luck - I've been where you are, it's hard to school so many young ones.

I recently recognized how much pressure I put on myself to be perfect and to do everything perfectly, and I have a child who has already graduated AND got a full scholarship to college!!! Chances are I did SOMETHING right in the 10 years I homeschooled him!! So why am I still struggling?

I have a 14 yo with dyslexia and dysgraphia, a 12 yo who is so far behind in math it's not funny, a 7 yo who just recently finished speech and occupational therapy and is still working through Visualizing and Verbalizing with his therapist, 5 yo twins with a severe speech delay, and a 2yo with a severe speech delay. And I've been having one physical problem after another this year. I HAVE GOT TO CUT MYSELF SOME SLACK!!

In talking with a friend, I realized that I had considered my 7 yo to be in 2nd grade when really he should only be in 1st. Duh! So he's not really behind like I was thinking, actually, he's ahead in some subjects. And since my 14 yo and my 12 yo have summer birthdays, I've decided (just got dh's approval today) to add another year in and not have them graduate until they are almost 19. Immediately I felt SO MUCH PRESSURE lifting! I don't stress grades too much here, so none of them will really know I did this.

I too struggle with how to fit everything in with everybody. I come up with idea after idea and it just never seems to happen. I like the idea that a PP mentioned, take your total HS time and divide it by the # of children. What I've been doing recently is trying to do 3 children a day, with one day doing 4, and then all 5 on Friday, or if I don't get to them all, then do the rest on Saturday. This gives me 4 sit-down times with all of the school-age dc, and 3 times with the twins (separately). We'll see how that works.

Let me tell you that I completely understand!

Another thing you need to realize as far as "who to listen to" is that there is no perfect curr. or perfect way to do things otherwise we would all be using the exact same curr. on here and have the exact same schedule. Sometimes the forum will go through a stage where everyone rants and raves about a particular curr. or a particular way of doing things and there is no harm in taking people's advice but you have to remember that you have to do what works for your family. I started homeschooling by choosing curr. that I liked or that someone else recommended but along the way have found I have to choose something that works for my teaching style but also for each of my kids. So that is something you have to figure out on your own, no one but you can answer that question but give yourself a break by comparing yourself to everyone else. You have to have goals and ideals but make sure they are your own and not another person's standards.

Our days look like this:

8ish ~ Everyone wakes up, eats (cereal), and gets dressed. I tidy up the kitchen.

9ish ~ I start doing individual turns with each child, even the 2yo. She throws a fit if she doesn't get a turn with Mom. With her I do the Core Knowledge Preschool workbooks or read a story (she picks). If it's not your turn to work with Mom, you need to be working on the subjects you can do alone. If there are no subjects you can do alone, you need to be playing quietly. I try to get turns with all of them before lunch, but that only happens if we start early enough and everybody cooperates. :tongue_smilie: I typically get three turns done before lunch.

12ish ~ Eat lunch. Do a bit of cleaning.

1ish ~ Finish turns with those I missed in the morning. Everybody else finishes anything they didn't do earlier.

2/3ish (whenever we are done) ~ Free time, practice piano, etc. I tend to get on here and veg for a bit. :)

4:30 ~ Cleaning time. All the rooms get picked up. Each kid gets a job. I make dinner.

6ish ~ Dinner.

I have more littles & less school but my schedule is set a similar way. Here is a suggestion that helped me:

write down EVERYTHING each child can do on his/her own (or just w/o you). that way, you have ideas when the child starts to get into trouble. if you want to & have the time you can even write them down on slips of paper & the child can choose from a cup or something.

Here is our day (VERY choppy but it works for us):

6:45am-feed baby, breakfast

8am-baby naps, littles have roomtime, dd1-spelling, math, grammar, writing

9am-everyone gets dressed

9:30-Bible Story & scripture memorization w/oldest 3

9:45-dd1 & ds1 play (not so quietly :glare:); dd2-phonics

10am-dds play; ds1-puzzles w/me

10:15-feed baby, older children get to watch tv

11am-lunch

12pm-play outside (1hr+)

1:30pm-ds1-nap; dd1-spelling on her own; dd2-math w/me while i feed baby

2pm-everyone but dd1 naps; dd1-reading w/me

2:30/3pm-everyone naps/quiet time for dd1

4:30pm-get up from naps; dd2-writing

so you could say school goes from 8am-4:30pm at our house but w/most of it being in 15-30 min intervals, it's easy to swallow.

History & Science are missing out of all of that. We did those before baby was born & I haven't figured out how to get it back in again. It will come. Those are gravy right now. When I'm on top of things or when they remind me, I'll read CHOW during breakfast some days.

hth even a little :)

:grouphug: Just wanted to offer a big hug! I can relate to the frustration!

There are days that I hear the school bus outside and think for JUST an INSTANT....am I making the BEST decision for my children.

And then I look at them INSIDE our home, SAFE and in my care! And then I know I did make the right choice.

Finally after 4 years of back and forth and shelving stuff and over-booking our school days and trying to "do it all"...FINALLY just finally I've slowed down and just realized that my children need to know how to write, read and do basic math. The rest is going to come much easier and in time.

I still look around for curriculum but if I didn't I would've never found some of the GREAT curriculums we now use, but I think you can over do it to the extent of second guessing yourself all the time. SO hang in there and just research, dig for samples of things you're wanting and sit down and lay out a plan then work from there. Once you've found what you want to try then stop seeking or atleast TRY to stop seeking! hehe

Oh and our school days have changed drastically since totboy is more vocal and has an opinion and wants it to be heard :D. We get plenty of interuptions from totboy and his tantrums and never-ending messes. We also have between 2-3 breaks that are on average 15min each.

7-8:30am- Breakfast, Morning Routine & Little morning tv

9-9:30am- We begin school

11:30am-12:30pm- Lunch

2:00-2:30pm- Kids quiet time (Totboy naps)

2:30pm-3:30pm- Finish up school lessons

3:30pm- School is done

4pm- Chores

6pm- Dinner

7pm- Bath time

8pm- Story time

8:30pm- Audio book on, tucked in and in beds

10:30-11pm- Mom and Dad begin catching zzzzz's

Edited by mamaofblessings

The only purpose in even considering the multitude of opinions is being able to find the one that works for your family.

what is really far more important than curriculum selection is consistency of teaching.

Recognize that there is no such thing as PERFECT curriculum.

Lots of wisdom here.

Katrina, do you think it is doable to do PR and math and nothing else? Go to the logic stage and high school boards and have them reassure you how much more important skills are over content at your stage of the game.

You could put your HoD books and library acquisitions out and have "book basket" time a la MFW.

Once you get a rhythm, you could leave Fridays free for cycling through that stuff that is hard to get to: art, music, nature walks, field trips, baking, poetry, Bible.

I also tend toward perfectionism and wondering if I am missing things. My mantra has become a quote I once saw in a quilting shop:

Finished is better than perfect.

Lots of wisdom here.

Katrina, do you think it is doable to do PR and math and nothing else? Go to the logic stage and high school boards and have them reassure you how much more important skills are over content at your stage of the game.

You could put your HoD books and library acquisitions out and have "book basket" time a la MFW.

Once you get a rhythm, you could leave Fridays free for cycling through that stuff that is hard to get to: art, music, nature walks, field trips, baking, poetry, Bible.

I also tend toward perfectionism and wondering if I am missing things. My mantra has become a quote I once saw in a quilting shop:

Finished is better than perfect.

This is what I am leaning towards too, but with RA's added in to touch on other subjects like history and science.

But LA and math are daily and always done.

The rest is frosting on the cake.

I am still figuring out how to get Bible in there because I tend to skip that one. :001_huh: I think I am going to use MOH more to touch on that. Then a kids devotional or just daily Bible reading at breakfast.

We have had a VERY rough year and a half. I have finally accepted I can not do it all and I can not do it perfect.

God news is my Heavenly Father doesn't expect me to! :::happy tears:::

Ladies,

Figuring out what to do with homeschooling has become an extreme discouragement. What I WANT to do and what I am ABLE to do are not meshing....I simply CANNOT pull off all that needs to be done daily. :glare:

Here's what I need:

A flexible schedule that can be adjusted on the fly (shift today's assignment to tomorrow or double up if something is flowing well).

Kids reading, writing, and doing math daily at their learning level.

Combining in content with age appropriate "others": history, science, Bible, read alouds

Notebooking: This works well for us.

A way to meet the content needs of my oldest while not leaving out my youngers or yanking them along.

** I am finding that trying to teach everybody all they need every day is a HUGE undertaking because I am teaching young, immature, foolish, disinterested children who would rather be playing (or fighting or distracting themselves or whatever) than learning in a structured way.

** I need a way to have as much of a classical/CM blend here that can get DONE day to day.

**I like a strong English foundation (phonics, grammar, writing, etc.) but I am finding that what the kids need is so intensive. Teaching Phonics Road to 3 children daily is a huge deal. Teaching FLL/WWE/spelling to 3 kids daily is a huge deal. Teaching any English studies combo. is proving challenging. I am looking at all of my options/combinations here in hopes of coming up with a routine that works for all of the children in as efficient a way as possible.

I am distressed, to say the least, because my best laid plans are continually flushed due to "life" with littles. Yet, my oldest children NEED to be moving forward and really zeroing in on their skills!! They are hungry to learn now (despite their desire to play and fight :001_smile:).

** I am trying HOD but I think it is too structured for us. It is lovely and has all that I want in a planned format but I cannot handle the daily spread. If we miss a box then I am flipping all over the place trying to find where I am for each subject. And I can't teach everybody from the same program. The structure is killing my oldest. It may be good for him but he's a very creative, free spirited boy and I want to allow him some freedom to express himself. I am struggling with this some but it's nagging me right now.

:001_smile:TOG and HOD won't work here for various reasons. I'm open to any and all suggestions OR I'll just take a pat on the back from those who understand my turmoil. This is enough to drive me to quit home educating. Feeling like a failure nearly every day is more than I can take!

I have loved Sonlight but feel like we aren't doing anything (my kids adore this approach :) ). I have been seriously considering doing Phonics Road and Sonlight with our science choice, memory work and Bible extras meshed in according to our desires.

MFW is something I am open to but I don't know if we're ready for ECC yet... and I honestly do not think I prefer the spines for CTG. I am not interested in reading a text and summarizing... I want to read living books and narrative spines. We adored Adventures though. Book Basket was a hit here. We also loved MFW First Grade here. K, not so much.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. :001_smile: I just need help.

Okay, I slowed down a moment and reread your post. I think sharing a core from SL with your children would be a wonderful option. (if they like it, they will pay attention, right?) I am not sure how PR works, but ifĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s it is hard to combine, or rotate, maybe itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not a great idea. Yes, you need to do LA and Math daily...but the LA work can be rotated weekly. There is no need to do everything with all of them at these young ages.

Science is great, but if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s also too hard to combine, just try to relax and read books and do a few experiments every now and then. Book baskets with science topics are a nifty idea. Then you can do science on an interest led basis.

I hope you figure out what works for you and your children. In my house we sometimes have to use different curriculums for the different learning styles. Some of my kids love workbooks and finish them off like crossword puzzles,(for lack of a better example) saying, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Next.Ă¢â‚¬ My other kids canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t stand workbooks and finishing any of them with them is an extremely difficult task. And it is a task that is only saved for very important subjects! I now know, or hope that I know, that some curriculums are just not going to work due to time constraints and too many children.

It does boil down to you figuring out what works for you through trial and error. I hope you find some peace with your choices for next year. And if not, donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be afraid to find something that you can do within reason. Just because everybody is doing a certain curriculum, doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t make it right for your family. These are just a few suggestions out of many good posts here - take what works and throw the rest away. :)

This is one of the best times in your life; enjoy your little ones!

I think that's the key. What makes any worker (homeschooling mom, office worker, IT, daycare, business exec. etc., etc., etc.) successful is taking a good hard look at reality and acting accordingly. You will not be able to give each of your children the one-on-one time that an only child gets. It's just plain impossible. Yes, we all want the best education for our children, but I promise the best education is one that a) happens consistently, and b) happens in a home filled with joy and love without a stressed perfectionist mother (speaking from experience there!) Focus on the basics, pick a curriculum (preferably not the most teacher-intensive) and stick with it. It gets trickier when they get older, so don't make it harder than it needs to be now.

I like to print out weekly excel spreadsheets for each child. It lists all the work required of them by day. My kids know that mom will get to them for their one-on-one at some point, but while they are waiting for me they are working independently (this is why it is crucial when you have more children to not pick all teacher-intensive products!)

I do as much combined teaching as possible, and we try our best to enjoy ourselves. Plenty of outside time, nature study, and exercise help immensely.

HTH,

Good thoughts here!

:iagree: When I read where you had posted this I immediately thought of Gideon in the Bible and how God kept whittling down his army to where it was only 300 men. Why? Because God wanted the Israelites to KNOW that the victory belonged to HIM not to the army. Maybe God is trying to get you to whittle all that curriculum down so that the victory of your children's lives is based on HIM not on the fact that you used HOD, MFW, etc. but on the fact that you were a homeschooling mom dedicated to God not a curriculum. Focus on that every morning...God you are my focus not our curriculum!

You've gotten really great advice about focusing on the 3 R's, working with your oldest for a while to cement some things, etc. Use that and God will give you the strength to get through...it's a promise :grouphug:

More wise words!

This has been so helpful....

We are not utterly failing I guess because believe it or not we do the basics most days and that includes reading our Bible, memorizing catechism together, singing and enjoying a pile of books (we just choose what we want to read and read it - currently The Complete Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Ben & Me).

My oldest does math every day...he's almost done with his 2nd grade MM.

My kids read every day and usually write something.... :001_smile:

My kids listen to Story of the World audios constantly. They listen to other enriching audio books as well...

* I guess that it feels like so very little....when I want to give them so much more. I am going to be content with it all for now and continue to pray & ponder our course. At some point we do need to work a little harder for more balance and content ...and a better flow to our days.

Choosing HOD was a way to have a pre-made schedule with all of the components I want in our home school. But it doesn't allow me to do what I really want which is to learn together as much as possible with flexibility for life stuff.... this is especially important for my dear oldest son. He will NOT like being on his own at the age of 10. He loves to be together and I was trying to force HOD to fit my family...it's a wonderful "program" but I need to have a more flexible structure. I know it now....I knew it then but I just ignored it!

I also find it scary to pull the threads of our home school together on my own (which is really what I'd like to do but it frightens me so). There is something SAFE about a pre-made schedule where some other person, wiser than I am, has planned all of the necessary parts of the school week. If I simply do these items and check them off then I've done my duty :glare:.

We live a process driven life...one day at a time...home schooling is by far the most intensely sanctifying school I have ever attended.

We live a process driven life...one day at a time...home schooling is by far the most intensely sanctifying school I have ever attended.

Amen! Isn't that the truth!

We are not utterly failing I guess because believe it or not we do the basics most days and that includes reading our Bible, memorizing catechism together, singing and enjoying a pile of books (we just choose what we want to read and read it - currently The Complete Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Ben & Me).

My kids listen to Story of the World audios constantly. They listen to other enriching audio books as well...

* I guess that it feels like so very little....when I want to give them so much more. I am going to be content with it all for now and continue to pray & ponder our course. At some point we do need to work a little harder for more balance and content ...and a better flow to our days.

Choosing HOD was a way to have a pre-made schedule with all of the components I want in our home school. But it doesn't allow me to do what I really want which is to learn together as much as possible with flexibility for life stuff.... this is especially important for my dear oldest son. He will NOT like being on his own at the age of 10. He loves to be together and I was trying to force HOD to fit my family...it's a wonderful "program" but I need to have a more flexible structure. I know it now....I knew it then but I just ignored it!

I also find it scary to pull the threads of our home school together on my own (which is really what I'd like to do but it frightens me so). There is something SAFE about a pre-made schedule where some other person, wiser than I am, has planned all of the necessary parts of the school week. If I simply do these items and check them off then I've done my duty :glare:.

If it makes you feel any better, you are doing far more than I ever have or will do with my primary grade kids. I only do the 3 Rs with them. Somehow, they have all managed to turn out fine and a few far more accelerated than avg. ;)

It sounds like the best advice you could actually get is to stop reading the forums and just worry about your family's needs. :D

Guest RecumbentHeart

If it makes you feel any better, you are doing far more than I ever have or will do with my primary grade kids. I only do the 3 Rs with them. Somehow, they have all managed to turn out fine and a few far more accelerated than avg. ;)

This is why I've ended up feeling quite at rest in philosophies (or just ways of doing things) that seem "light" in the early grades. Can I just say that over the last couple of years I've found there is a whole chasm of difference between the "what we're planning for the year" threads and the "what's actually getting done" threads in copious cases? You really need to keep a wide view when reading the forums.

The hearts of the children - that's the primary thing, followed by the 3Rs. Stir them up to a sense of wonder and excitement about learning by simply exposing them to the content areas (read slowly through living books, interest led nature study, etc) during these elementary years and you're not defrauding them at all - you're using their time and effort efficiently. There will be time for formal study in their upper years.

Tracy Simmons, in Climbing Parnassus said, "schools of the best kind have always aimed high while keeping feet to the ground. They didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t try to do too much; they tried to do the most important things.Ă¢â‚¬ I think that's worth keeping in focus.

I use the basic outline given in the Latin-Centered Curriculum as my fall back plan which has helped other (non-Latin learning) friends of mine get more done also - 3Rs daily at the child's pace and one extra content subject each day on a weekly rotation. They can always go further, deeper and add more as they have time and as per their interest but they will at the very least be getting the "hooks" upon which later formal study can be hung.

I know I don't personally have a lot of experience but I'm sitting quite comfortably upon the wisdom of others. :)

Our days are similar but I constantly feel like we are not doing enough. So much of what you post resonates with me. :grouphug:

I have to give a shout out to these incredibly wise, btdt mamas. It means so much to me to hear that what we are doing is enough. I started to write what we ARE doing at the beginning of my post but I decided not to take the time.;) We are doing a lot! It just looks different in our home. My reality is not my ideal. It just isn't.

There is one piece of advice that has really helped. I can't think of the exact words but something like 'don't let the good get in the way of God's best'. This was from Marcia Sommerville. Ooh, you might like this. It was free when I listened but well worth the $$ IMO. It is not a TOG plug at all. It is just real life tips for teaching with lots of littles from a btdt mom. The gist of it is to not let all the little, sounds like fun stuff get in the way of the really important job of training their hearts.

Having said that, I am still struggling with this. I wish I could sit over a cup of coffee and chat/brainstorm with you. I am getting interrupted about every 30 seconds as I type.:tongue_smilie:KNOWING, somewhere in my thick skull, that what I am doing is enough doesn't make me feel any better about the things I am not doing. I am trying to find my priorities and see the bigger picture.(sigh) I have a feeling our dh's could chat too.:D

I wish I could help you. I have 3 introverts, a needy baby, and 1 very very very extroverted 3 yo that we lovingly (sometimes) call our "energy vampire". We had a good routine, but still weren't getting some things done. So we switched to morning being "little girl" time and preschool focused. At nap time, we start the big kids' work. I do admit to overplanning and having way too much going on, though. We're doing Bravewriter, IEW, FLL, WWE, AAS, and Seq. Spelling all at the same time for the oldest two, for instance. Unfortunately the teacher intensive programs are about all that works for some things with my kids.

I keep baby in the baby carrier most of the day, or on my lap during reading. She is teething and unhappy lately. But I have an injured rib, so I about take my body weight in ibuprofen by bedtime.

Right now what we do (red is stuff that usually we don't have time to do with baseball/softball games & practices cutting in):

8:00 wake up, oldest gets medicine

9:00 circle time with SSL, French, times tables, songs & movement, national anthems & review

9:30 read alouds of mostly kids books and some history ones (Counting Through China, for instance)

10:00 project of the day-

Monday: cooking/baking

Tuesday: Alphabet activities from LOTW and Earth*School

Wednesday: Science and art activities based on science-right now they are doing paintings with cotton ball clouds.

Thursday: Math from RS A

Friday: Library, coffee shop, or Pizza some days in the afternoon, so Artistic Pursuits in the A.M.

Reading, Puzzles, Coloring

12:30 Lunch

1:30 Read and Quiet time with audiobooks. They spend their time outside if it's nice out.

2:00 Exercise and knit. Get baby to sleep.

2:40 Big kids work:

Copywork

1 page of Lively Latin

Math- Singapore together on the board, MEP practice, and MM worksheets for "homework" they do the next morning while I work with the littles.

Literature- read a chapter aloud of a book and discuss things like analogies and characters.

Science-1-2 experiments with observation pages some days. Right now we are doing weather as that is relevant to the craziness here.

"Recess" (they like calling it this)

IEW-one step of the process most days

Oldest- FLL4, AAS, Seq. Sp., Wordly Wise, Reading Comp or test practice

Next oldest- FLL 3, AAS, Wordly Wise, Reading Comp or test practice, CLE 300 one lesson together.

Art, board games, outside play, or practicing catch

Dinner

Play

Get ready for bed. 15 minute house cleanup, snack, bedclothes, read a couple chapters of James & the Giant Peach.

Big kids practice piano on the quieter keyboard, or violin in my room.

FWIW I have only one student and the same struggles. Her brother wants her to play. I have people telling me that free play time is important at a young age. She and I both have ADD which can cause us to sit and waste an hour over 5 minutes of work. We also both procrastinate. Her inattention gets on my last nerve and we need a break from each other. We both get distracted easily... on and on.

I was about to suggest Queen's Homeschool! That history sounds great. Have you looked at their language lessons, considered them?

I know you are giving HOD a run and you do need to give it a go to be fair to yourself...but this is just from someone who LOVES HOD...on paper....but implementing it in my house didn't fit my family....they wanted sit down on the couch cuddle up with me time and I couldn't be in 3 guides in 3 different time periods...I lost what mind I had left :lol:....we dropped it earlier this year and we are just settling in to what works now...which has to include...what I like, but what I am also capable of doing...you could check out Queens A Living History of Our World...I did Volume I this year with my 2nd dd and everyone is doing Volume II next year...it is simple when it needs to be and I can throw in extra books on a day I have time or we are interested...

But FWIW...I totally feel your pain and frustration...you want to do what's right...that's why you have them home, but reality meets you square in the face every time you wake up! We live in a small town where the school is just down the road...I mentioned to my children....several times this year...to put on your shoes and get walking....;)

FWIW I have only one student and the same struggles. Her brother wants her to play. I have people telling me that free play time is important at a young age. She and I both have ADD which can cause us to sit and waste an hour over 5 minutes of work. We also both procrastinate. Her inattention gets on my last nerve and we need a break from each other. We both get distracted easily... on and on.

:grouphug: I have severe ADHD. When I was tested the lady was in SHOCK that I could accomplish anything. I was in the 98% tile on the test. She said only medication would help.

Well...no medication for me. I run a business, homeschool with 7 children at home, teach dance, and coach a dance team. :D

Doesn't look like how it would for someone without ADHD, but we make it work. :lol:

I also wish I knew how to take 4 hours and added them up to 2 and a half... and when other people manage it I feel a little idiotic too.

We school year round with few breaks and do school from 10am-4pm two days a week. 10am-8pm one to two days a week. And 10am-6pm other days.

I finally gave up trying to cut it down. It just made it more stressful for all of us.

:grouphug: I have severe ADHD. When I was tested the lady was in SHOCK that I could accomplish anything. I was in the 98% tile on the test. She said only medication would help.

Well...no medication for me. I run a business, homeschool with 7 children at home, teach dance, and coach a dance team. :D

Doesn't look like how it would for someone without ADHD, but we make it work. :lol:

My problem is that I don't even have the H. :tongue_smilie:So I just sit around wasting time.;)

I GUESS I NEED PERMISSION TO DO WHAT I NEED TO DO TO KEEP EVERYBODY MOVING FORWARD EVEN IF IT MEANS THAT MY CLASSICAL/CM IDEALS ARE OUT THE WINDOW AND I NEED TO KNOW WITH A FAIR DEGREE OF CERTAINTY THAT BY NOT DOING EVERY THING EVERY DAY AND IN EVERY SEASON I AM NOT GOING TO ACADEMICALLY OR SPIRITUALLY RUIN MY CHILDREN.

We don't do formal History or Science until middle school, if then. My children haven't suffered one bit as a result of this. I admit that all of the programs out there sound like a lot of fun, but they are not necessary.

I have always been drawn to the idea of classical homeschooling but have had to stop and admit to myself, more than once, that this ideal does not mesh with my reality. I cannot use teacher intensive curricula PERIOD. It does not work for me. I have tried and failed so many times. I really loved the idea of WWE. It was everything I thought an English curriculum should be. But it did not work for me. I could not juggle implementation with three children at three different levels.

I recently switched to CLE for Math, Language Arts, and Reading/Phonics for three of my children and our homeschool has never run so smoothly. I wish I had done this years ago.

Susan in TX

We don't do formal History or Science until middle school, if then. My children haven't suffered one bit as a result of this. I admit that all of the programs out there sound like a lot of fun, but they are not necessary.
What do you use for science and history at that point? :bigear:

My problem is that I don't even have the H. :tongue_smilie:So I just sit around wasting time.;)

Unfortunantly, the H shows up in me talking a lot and overthinking things to death.....not so much in actually moving and getting things done. :001_huh:

Amen! Isn't that the truth!

It sounds like the best advice you could actually get is to stop reading the forums and just worry about your family's needs. :D

:iagree::iagree:

8 and I often agree on lots of things.:D

I only do the 3 r's and Bible with my elementary kids...all of our history, science, music, art etc. Are done stealth...as in read-alouds, coloring, having maps and non chalantly asking one of them to find a place on it....doing experiments out of the books they take from the library or a kit they just happened to get :D for their birthday or Christmas. I try to focus on a time period each year and a science topic...and then borrow books from the library that go with that theme. Our days are very heavy on language arts and math...

I have found the best plans will not work for our family...and I have tried them all TRYInG to make it EASIER on myself...well, the joke is always on me. I have spent hours and hours and hours and even more hours that I could have spent with my kids and maybe reading my own books, trying to find a full program that would fit us. It doesn't exist.

Now, I find components that work for us....and for each child. It sounds like you have that part down. Now, I focus on skills and try to use those skills out within our yearly themes.

As I said before...your kids are little. Love on them. Teach them their skills thoroughly. Spend you majority of time on those. By the time you get to middle school with your oldest, you will be surprised at the amount of content you have covered and the skills that were not left behind. By middle school, I mean 6,7,8 th grades....5th is still young in my opinion for logic studies. Many of my kids were not ready to attack an actual Logic course until 9 th grade. They did not miss the bus because of it..kwim?

Well, I have to go read to my Lego maniacs.....hope you are feeling calmer today. And thanks for posting this...because an old dog has a hard time learning new tricks.....and I have been busy researching more money I could throw away...lol.

Faithe

What do you use for science and history at that point? :bigear:

I have used Apologia General Science and Physical Science, A History of Us, and Joy Hakim's Story of Science. So even the history and science we do in 7th and 8th grade is pretty basic. And so far I have had four children go to public high school and excel in both history and science in pre-AP and AP classes. And my eldest graduated from The University of Dallas with a BA in history.

Susan in TX

:001_smile: This has been a great thread.....

I actually realize we do quite a bit...it's the lack of formality that is making me feel like we're not doing so much....

And I do need to increase the 3 R's skill work with my oldest. But, realizing that he's just nearing the end of 2nd grade I can jump BACK into what was really flowing well for us...FLL, WWE. We were really enjoying that and I don't know why I dropped it (well, I dropped it for the elusive BETTER only to find myself spinning our wheels for 3 months).

I realized today that in an informal way we do quite a bit of science, history, etc. In addition to the other items we DO read history & science books constantly, we sketch trees & bugs, we look things up, we watch cool videos on the computer, we do snap circuits & k'nex, we do science experiments randomly, we do hymn study & listen to classical music, etc. We do plenty of Bible study...it's just not formal which for some reason makes me think we're not doing it right. SO dumb...

Hmmmmm. I am beginning to feel liberated and rejuvenated. Shoring up the 3 R's and the daily schedules/routines is priority one. Breaking free from the box has already happened....I'm not going to follow a pre-set schedule or plan at this point. If we use Sonlight (which we might 'cause we loved Core 1) I use the schedule loosely anyway.

I have lots of wonderful ideas that I think are more down to earth in terms of expectations.

My son told me he wants to read books, label maps and do experiments. He could do without the math. :D

Just want to thank everyone for the great thread. I feel bad that my ideals get pushed aside for what will work in our household. If I stick with latin and history can I still call myself a Classical Mom? Someone's tag line says something like "The best curriculum is the one that gets done." I've taken that as my personal homeschool credo.