Menu

Properties of Ecosystems ?

JaneP

If you have used this book with your dc would you please share your experiences? And let me know how old your dc were at the time?

This book is part of MFW's Exploring Countries and Cultures package and I'm not sure if it will be suitable for my dc, particularly the younger one. They will be 8 and 11.5 at the start of their ECC year.

If you have used this book with your dc would you please share your experiences? And let me know how old your dc were at the time?

This book is part of MFW's Exploring Countries and Cultures package and I'm not sure if it will be suitable for my dc, particularly the younger one. They will be 8 and 11.5 at the start of their ECC year.

I have not used this yet, but I will be next year with my dc. My kids will be 10 and 13 (I am planning on supplementing to make it more age appropriate for my 13 year old) My 1st grade and kindergarten sons will listen in but I am not going to expect much from them.

I hate to give a bad report because I generally like the answer in genesis series and will look to them in the future. My dc are 10,7,&5 and they were completely bored. They did learn a lot and did repeated some of what they learned. I did find that I had to modify the vocabulary a bit for the younger ones to understand. I guess ecosystems are just not that exciting:confused: It does have sections for younger elementary students and another for older students. I think your dc are old enough that they will get something out of it.

hth

Edited by MyLittleBears

Thankyou both for your replies.

MyLittleBears - I admit from the samples it looks like it could bore my dc too. But did your dc enjoy the science in ECC despite it? I guess what I am asking is Properties of Ecosystems a big part of the ECC science? I am glad to hear that there are sections in the book for younger and older elementary students.

MyLittleBears - I admit from the samples it looks like it could bore my dc too. But did your dc enjoy the science in ECC despite it? I guess what I am asking is Properties of Ecosystems a big part of the ECC science? I am glad to hear that there are sections in the book for younger and older elementary students.

I agree the book alone is, er, um, boring but add in homemade projects and living books and it can be improved on!

I used it w/an 8/9 yr old and 11/12 yr old this year. While I wouldn't call it exciting, I didn't think it was boring, either. It was interesting to me. The readings are short (a page or two).

HTH,

Thanks. I appreciate that since your dc are similar ages to what mine will be when we start ECC.

I agree the book alone is, er, um, boring but add in homemade projects and living books and it can be improved on!

That is probably the way to approach it. I know you haven't done ECC yet but I am hoping that *they* will be coming up with the living books and projects and not me!!!

MFW ties it in very well with Usborne's Living World Encyclopedia which my children did absolutely love. The teacher's manual will tell you which experiments to use and which to skip and will also add some. They kind of pick and choose sections that will tie in to the part of the world being studied and do not use it from start to finish as you normally would if you were using it as a stand alone program. My dc did learn a lot, so I guess they tolerated it. My ten year old was better than the younger ones but I guess that's expected. It is very dry, but you're only reading portions at a time. It's kind of like a very dry cake and the other books are the icing that make it good. The book basket really helps a lot.:)

Edited by MyLittleBears

We used this with MFW ECC this year and my kids and I learned a lot from it. I wouldn't say they begged for it, but never said it was boring either. I liked that MFW had all the answers right there in the TM to all of the questions, because some even stumped me. Overall, the readings were short and explained things thoroughly for us with some nice illustrations and easy experiments that my 9yo love to do and looked forward to. My older kids also liked the advanced section at the end of each chapter.

You don't read it every day or even every week. Like others said it is a great compliment to the living books that you use. Have fun with ECC :001_smile: