Menu

Dental Appointment & HIPAA

My DD had her two bottom permanent teeth coming in behind the baby teeth so I took her to my dentist. The dentist thought the baby teeth needed to be pulled but we were going to the ortho anyway for a consult (DD has a crossbite) so I thought we would wait. The ortho said the teeth were fine, no need to pull them.

You might want to get a second opinion.

In all fairness to the dentist, he hasn't actually seen her teeth yet. Up until this point we've only talked to his office over the phone. We are going to get a second opinion from a dentist friend too. Maybe we won't even need to go in for this procedure. Fingers crossed...

Ridiculous! I think this HIPPA thing is an excuse for the dentist not to allow parents back there and you know what?...you have every right to be back there or you can find a dentist that will allow it.

Our dentist doesn't allow parents back in the treatment room. She has always been this way. However, my son who is now 10, had a lot of dental work done when he was little (like age 5) and I insisted that I be back there. She did let me, but it made her really nervous when I was back there, I could tell. Now it says on my kids chart that I will go back there with my kid if they have anything done other than a cleaning. We've been with this dentist for 8 years.

I'll bet when I go for my kids' cleanings my dentist will have a sign up like that, she is always arguing with parents about why they can't go in the back.