Menu

7th grade final plans (I hope)

Okay, I'm thinking this is final, how does it look:

Math: Saxon 87

Science: Apologia General supplemented with living books

History: SOTW vol 4, plus Hakim's US History, plus tons of literature

Literature: Progeny Press Guides to correspond with "tons of literature"

Grammar: AG season 2 (plus Progeny Press)

Logic: Art of Arguement

Writing: across the curriculum

Music: violin

PE: ballet

I could do Trail Guides to World Geography and US Geography. But, we did Around the World in 180 Days this year. And, I will have a gap the 8th grade year before starting the history cycle over again if I finish SOTW vol 4 in 7th. So, I was thinking about making 8th grade a dedicated geography year placing an emphasis on cultural geography before starting ancients in high school.

Thoughts????

I think it looks good, but I am usually not an authority on anything!! :tongue_smilie:

I am still finalizing my 7th grade plans! And, you always ask all the questions I have, so that is greatly appreciated! LOL!!! :)

I could do Trail Guides to World Geography and US Geography. But, we did Around the World in 180 Days this year. And, I will have a gap the 8th grade year before starting the history cycle over again if I finish SOTW vol 4 in 7th. So, I was thinking about making 8th grade a dedicated geography year placing an emphasis on cultural geography before starting ancients in high school.

Thoughts????

I think it looks good. Janice posted some wisdom last week that I've been pondering. When you say you're writing across the curriculum, set some concrete goals to make sure it gets done. 7th and 8th grade are wonderful times to work on skills. From my experience this year, 7th grade can also be a time when it's easier to let things slide. :glare:

If there are specific areas of writing that need addressed create a plan to deal with those. You may have already know all this, but I found Janice's comments very timely.

I like the idea of geography in 8th. It looks good to me.

• 1 month later...
I think it looks good. Janice posted some wisdom last week that I've been pondering. When you say you're writing across the curriculum, set some concrete goals to make sure it gets done. 7th and 8th grade are wonderful times to work on skills. From my experience this year, 7th grade can also be a time when it's easier to let things slide. :glare:

If there are specific areas of writing that need addressed create a plan to deal with those. You may have already know all this, but I found Janice's comments very timely.

Say it isn't so...if we have another downhill year, we're done! I thought 6th grade was the year to let things slide. ;)

:lol:

Bump for more responses...

Say it isn't so...if we have another downhill year, we're done! I thought 6th grade was the year to let things slide. ;)

:lol:

Bump for more responses...

We had a lot of life situations that got in the way, including unemployment and a long distance move. If you eliminate those two distractions...:lol::lol:

I recently found a list of skills I had hoped to work on in 7th. Somehow the list got buried. We only finished a few off the list :cringe:. Anyway, I think it's an important time, 7th and 8th, to be purposeful in your skill development, know WHY you are doing certain things, and not be afraid to tweak to cement those skills.

I'm looking at my plans for 8th and trying to ask what skill my ds will learn by doing this. If it looks like busy work or box checking I'm tweaking it.

For instance I had two history spine options, I write my own plans. One was above his reading level, but not his comprehension level. He could have listened and discussed. The other is at his reading level, well written, and can be used to build skills. The skills I'm looking at include writing paragraphs from the text, increasing reading comprehension and fluency, learning how to reference a text, and have more ownership over his own studies. We couldn't have done that with the higher level text, even though he would have understood it.

I created a spreadsheet that reminds me to give a writing assignment each week even if I'm not sure what it will be exactly. That gives me the flexibility to wing it a little, but still have a reminder to assign something. That was not part of our plan this last year, that's how things got forgotten.

HTH.

We just finished doing something similar for 7th grade with SOTW 4. My daughter had to write a short essay for each chapter of SOTW - there was always an essay question at the end of each test so I did not have to work to find an assignment. It worked very well!

Now, I intended to have her write about some of the books she was reading, maybe a few for science, but they never got done.....Idefinitely let some things slide this year! But the SOTW writing did get done!

And - we are also planning a geography program for 8th before we get back into the ancients! I am still struggling with how I want to do it - I really want to spend 16 weeks using Brimwood Press as an overview and then 20 weeks doing Geography but I haven't found anything that will do what I want. I am running out of time to plan and I am about to get terribly busy this summer (putting in a new kitchen) so we may end up just using BJU Geography for 8th and...??? for my 6th grader.

Well, I hope it helped you to read my ramblings!

Oh - I should say that I like your plan (we're adding some Progeny Press next year as well!) but I also noticed the lack of foreign language. Not that you have to do one but I was wondering if you had left it off your list by accident!

Thoughts????

Looks good!

We had a lot of life situations that got in the way, including unemployment and a long distance move. If you eliminate those two distractions...:lol::lol:

I recently found a list of skills I had hoped to work on in 7th. Somehow the list got buried. We only finished a few off the list :cringe:. Anyway, I think it's an important time, 7th and 8th, to be purposeful in your skill development, know WHY you are doing certain things, and not be afraid to tweak to cement those skills.

I'm looking at my plans for 8th and trying to ask what skill my ds will learn by doing this. If it looks like busy work or box checking I'm tweaking it.

For instance I had two history spine options, I write my own plans. One was above his reading level, but not his comprehension level. He could have listened and discussed. The other is at his reading level, well written, and can be used to build skills. The skills I'm looking at include writing paragraphs from the text, increasing reading comprehension and fluency, learning how to reference a text, and have more ownership over his own studies. We couldn't have done that with the higher level text, even though he would have understood it.

I created a spreadsheet that reminds me to give a writing assignment each week even if I'm not sure what it will be exactly. That gives me the flexibility to wing it a little, but still have a reminder to assign something. That was not part of our plan this last year, that's how things got forgotten.

HTH.

Oh gosh! I have had those same exact problems in the past…wouldn’t wish those on anyone. This last year was difficult for me because I worked more than I have in years, and the time it took away from our studies was detrimental to our lack of a schedule. I am usually good at keeping a plan in my head and following through, even though we are slightly relaxed homeschoolers. Oldest dd was the most difficult to motivate to do anything other than what she wanted to do. Thankfully some of her interests included history and science studies, and even great literature, like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea! Needless to say, next year we are going to have a schedule (which was actually the plan for last year, but I let it slide).

While my children did do a lot of studying on their own, it would have been nice if we completed more skill based writing and grammar.

I also look forward to conversing on this board more this upcoming year. I think it helps a little with accountability and motivation in my department. I didn’t even lurk here for most of last year. :confused:

I also look forward to conversing on this board more this upcoming year. I think it helps a little with accountability and motivation in my department. I didn’t even lurk here for most of last year. :confused:

I think some general accountability threads would be helpful to many people. We're doing a six weeks on, one week off type schedule next year. My plan is to re-evaluate and tweak on that off week.

I need to be more diligent in our day-to-day accountability as well. We're no longer in moving phase so that will be helpful too.