Menu

What is the most fun, hands-on science program?

mnemom

My dd is kind of burned out from lots of workbook-type activities. I'd like to do some fun science things with her this summer. She is 6. I would like something that does not require a ton of preparation on my part. I thought Nancy Larson looks good, but I can't tell how much of it is hands-on and how much is workbook. I have some "Little Labs" science kits and like those, but I am looking for something a little more comprehensive (an actual curriculum rather than individual activities). Thanks!

My dd is kind of burned out from lots of workbook-type activities. I'd like to do some fun science things with her this summer. She is 6. I would like something that does not require a ton of preparation on my part. I thought Nancy Larson looks good, but I can't tell how much of it is hands-on and how much is workbook. I have some "Little Labs" science kits and like those, but I am looking for something a little more comprehensive (an actual curriculum rather than individual activities). Thanks!

do you feel like the little labs are good quality? you are talking about the ones by thames and kosmos right? i really want to get some but cant find anyone who uses them

anyways i know some people like R.E.A.L science odyssey here since it has lots of experiments. i have no experience yet though but just thought i throw it out there

I have been pleased with the quality of the Little Labs. I like that everything comes in the kit so I'm not hunting around for materials. My only complaint is that the instruction manual is very basic and brief and relies mostly on pictures. I wish there was more extensive explanation of the concepts. But they are great for hands-on activities.

RSO from Pandia Press - we have found the earth and space set quite a bit of fun. For enrichment, we read supplemental reading from the library and/or suggested in RSO itself. I turned the Astronomy into a summer course. It will merge with Apologia. :lol: I can't just leaves things alone. I always want something different or more.

Yet, as designed, it is completely hands-on with minimal writing.

RSO from Pandia Press - we have found the earth and space set quite a bit of fun. For enrichment, we read supplemental reading from the library and/or suggested in RSO itself.

:iagree: We have thoroughly enjoyed working through RSO Earth and Space this year. Very little prep involved especially if you buy the supply kit.

I have found that the experiments really do go along with what you just read and learned. They are simple to do and don't require a lot of time.

I initially bought Nancy Larson Science because it was all included and my DH showed me how much time and Money I'd be saving because I wasn't driving all over town to get materials, books, printing worksheets, researching what to say, etc, etc. I must say, it's probably the greatest LOVE message he ever sent. I've saved so much time and stress using Nancy Larson Science. PLUS, my DC learn far more than science. I've been AMAZED! They retain the information. They know how to find important information for their other subjects (Nancy teaches Study Skills right in the science lessons.) They make generalizations of the science facts across to other areas. "Hey, Mom, look my arms have pulleys and levers, too! I'm a simple machine."

My DC now write informative paragraphs without complaints, because they learned how to break it down and write in simple steps...while doing a Nancy Larson Science lesson! Nancy teaches reading competencies during each science lesson, so it's like two-in-one curricula.

Thinking I'm smarter, or at least harder working, than the average bear, I didn't follow the script for the first few science lessons. That was a mistake! My DC simply did not get that much learning from my inspirational ideas and lectures. So I tried following the script in the Teacher's Manual. DUH! That's where the magic happens. When I follow the script, THEN my DC get all of the magic learning (the reading, the language arts, the study skills, the critical thinking). AND THEY LEARN SO MUCH MORE SCIENCE! I finally contacted the Nancy Larson homeschool person (Madon Dailey) and asked what was in the script. She showed me how Nancy used 3-4 modes of learning for each important concept, both sides of the brain to anchor in learning, subtle wording changes that open my DC's minds and the learning happens. I mean, it's WONDERFUL! So simple for me. SO amazing for them.

Each lesson has an activity. These activities relate directly to the science concept for the lesson, and because they use multiple learning modes, they help anchor in the learning. Then lesson reviews, and assessments are included to help monitor progress. Because my DC learn the material so completely, they get 100% on these and it's really helped their self concepts, and we don't have test anxiety.

I know I'm going on and on. But I'm a Nancy Larson Science fan and want everyone to know how it's so much more than just a science program.

Oh, and if you want to know what the national and state standards are for science at a grade level, these are available. Nancy Larson has tied each lesson in her programs to multiple science and reading standards, so I know my DC are learning what's important.

The more I look at Nancy Larson, the more I am worried about the scripts. My dd (and I) hate scripts! Now I'm leaning towards RSO or RS4K. Plus the price of Nancy Larson seems really high. We already have some of the materials in her kit, too.

:iagree:

Agreeing with RSO Science by Pandia Press. I've tried a few science programs, RSO has gotten us excited about science and we're actually on target to complete the first year. It's fun and easy to do, with relevant experiments. Everything you need to do the program is included. We add our own books/videos to enhance the lessons. It's worked out so well!

We'll be starting RSO Earth and Space this summer. Looking forward to it, I've heard many great reviews.

Grab a Janice VanCleave book (Biology for Every Kid, Earth Science, Chemistry, Physics, Oooey Gooey Slimey Experiments... she has a ton, pick a topic). They are ALL super easy, can be done in about 5-10 minutes, includes an explanation of what is suppose to happen and why, and MOSTLY uses things you already have around the house.

Check into SuperCharged Science also. The author has a bunch of online videos, many for free, that your dd can enjoy.

Delta nutshell kits are my favorites. I like using Usborne Science books and library books with them. They have a parent guide and three student journals. Enough reading to help you teach and enough flexibility to let you be a scientist. Donnayounng has some awesome science experiments pagesnthat we use, too.