Menu

Help me pick out my e-reader! Nook?

or a Sony? I want e-ink. I guess I want wi-fi - though I'm not sure the point? What exactly is the Nook wi-fi for?

I mostly want an e-reader download free classics and Ambleside type books and for library books. I don't plan on purchasing e-books. I want it to be less than $140ish. Can you decide for me. :)

or a Sony? I want e-ink. I guess I want wi-fi - though I'm not sure the point? What exactly is the Nook wi-fi for?

I mostly want an e-reader download free classics and Ambleside type books and for library books. I don't plan on purchasing e-books. I want it to be less than $140ish. Can you decide for me. :)

The wi-fi versions use wi-fi to download books, updates, etc, rather than 3g. These versions are generally cheaper. With 3g, you can download books pretty much anywhere; wi-fi requires . . . wi-fi, obviously! On the Kindle, you can also use the wi-fi to get on the internet in a very limited way. I don't know about the others.

Wi-fi only nook: $149, with 3g added, $199

Wi-fi kindle:$139 (or $114 with ads on the screensaver), with 3g, $189

Sony, $179, no wi-fi or 3g, must connect to computer to get books

All have plenty of storage space and will be able to use the public domain books.

If you like to take notes or highlight, you may want to check out those features in more detail.

I highly suggest handling them in person before buying. Check out the screen and 'feel.' Best Buy often has all of them on display, Target has Kindle.

Well, Kindle will be adding library lending sometime this year, so if you don't need that capability *immediately*, I'd consider it as an option. You can get an ad-supported WiFi Kindle for $114.

The difference between the one with ads and the regular WiFi one (which is $139) is that where the regular one shows pictures of authors and such as screensavers, the ad-supported one shows ads. Amazon has promised nothing scandalous in the ads ... currently the sponsor I see listed is Visa.

WiFi is basically for buying and adding books. If you don't have WiFi at home, you can shop online and add them to it via a USB cable. If you do (or if you go somewhere and connect to their WiFi), you can shop on the reader and the whole process is wireless. 3G takes that another step, kind of ... with my Kindle 3G, I can buy books (or download them from Project Gutenberg, or whatever) or get online (in a very basic way, like checking driving directions or something, which is handy since I don't have a smartphone) anywhere I get a cell phone signal.

I have tons of free classics on my Kindle. Pretty much anything on PG is available in the MOBI format that the Kindle reads, and they're usually formatted very well. Many include the illustrations. The Kindle can read PDF files too if something isn't available in MOBI.

I like that the Kindle is easier on the eyes--no glowing screen. I received one as a gift for Christmas and pretty much only download classics and free books.

I think Nook wi-fi (no color) is e-ink just like Kindle right? The only difference is that Nook gets library books now??

I think Nook wi-fi (no color) is e-ink just like Kindle right? The only difference is that Nook gets library books now??

Yes, they both have eink, but Kindle's e-ink is a newer version of e-ink and is supposed to be better. The Nook color is not e-ink though. I am not sure when Kindle will be getting the library book thing...anybody heard about when yet?

I recently got a kindle. I absolutely love it! And there are over 15,000 free books at amazon for it. Not to mention other places like the Gutenberg Site. I don't see myself actually paying for a book for a long time.

I am not sure which books you are wanting from the library, but if they are older oop books, you probably will find them for free for the Kindle as well as the Nook.

Yes, they both have eink, but Kindle's e-ink is a newer version of e-ink and is supposed to be better. The Nook color is not e-ink though. I am not sure when Kindle will be getting the library book thing...anybody heard about when yet?

I recently got a kindle. I absolutely love it! And there are over 15,000 free books at amazon for it. Not to mention other places like the Gutenberg Site. I don't see myself actually paying for a book for a long time.

I am not sure which books you are wanting from the library, but if they are older oop books, you probably will find them for free for the Kindle as well as the Nook.

As far as the library, I want to read Chernow's latest biography of Washington, but it is way to heavy in hardcover to carry around everywhere I go. My library has the ebook. I hadn't heard that the latest Kindle has better e-ink technology than the Nook (non-color). I'm sort of confused. I really want something easy to read but don't want to wait on library books! I guess I could though. The kindle has a special for only $115 right now...

Yes, that's true. The new Kindle e-ink is called Pearl e-ink, and it is considered better (compared to the e-ink on older Kindles, and that on the regular Nook). The background is lighter and the text appears sharper. It also has faster page turns. The newer Sony readers also have the Pearl e-ink, and can borrow library books (but no wireless on the cheap ones, and still more than you wanted to spend).

I know the Nook Color was not one of your options, but I just have to say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine! :001_wub: I got it for $200 on craigslist. It is so worth the money! They have a new app store now. I went to the store and they updated it for free. It's like having a mini ipad. My kids love playing with it and my ds3 loves having books read to her.

I suggest you go actually hold and look a the Nook B&W and the Kindle. See how they feel in your hands and if one is more comfortable to you than the other. See if there is any difference between the e-ink screens that you notice or that would make you pick one over the other. The Nook e-ink screen is good quality, so I personally would go with that because of the library book option. There will still be a formatting issue with Kindles and library books since library ebooks are usually not in the right format for Kindles. Nooks can easily borrow ebooks now.

I just got the Nook (with Wi-fi and 3G), and I love it!

If you don't plan on buying books from the Barnes and Noble online store though, the 3G isn't really all that necessary. So far I've downloaded lots of free Google E-books and Project Gutenberg books onto mine, but you have to go through the intermediary step of using the Adobe Digital Editions program. It is pretty quick to do though.

My DD and I both have Nooks w/ Wifi and my DH has a Kindle with Wifi. All things being equal, especially given that library books will soon be available for the Kindle, I'd actually go for the Kindle. The Kindle is faster, the battery life is considerably longer and, in our experience, Amazon customer support is superior.

The only reason for that would be to go to Amazon's or B&N's website to purchase books?

Would I be able to go to my library's site and download an e-book with 3G?

The difference between wifi & 3G is that you could be more places when receiving downloads with 3G, that is, anywhere you can get a phone signal. With wifi you need to be at home, or somewhere with free wifi such as Starbucks or a b&n store, etc. Either one helps you get books from amazon or b&n. As far as I know, library books etc have to be first downloaded to your computer, then from your computer to your ereader. At least that's how my nook color works.

The only thing you can use the 3g for is to buy books from BN. It won't connect to the internet browser.

The nook can read any epub or pdf book. That was the big selling point for me.

The only books you can download directly from your nook are the ones you get from BN. Otherwise they have to be sideloaded (downloaded on the computer, then loaded to the nook).

You can get a refurbished nook wi-fi for $89 from overstock.com.

As far as I know, you can't get an ereader without either wi-fi or 3G. 3G is the equivalent of cell phone internet, but at the moment ereaders get it for life without any extra fee, unlike the iPad. Wi-fi is available at places like Starbucks, Panera, etc. if you don't have it at home. It's used to download most books. Some books you have to transfer via USB, if getting them from a website other than the bookstore connected with the reader. Unless you want to have access to internet/book buying any place you are, or you don't have easy access to wifi and want to buy books over the air instead of through the computer, you probably don't need 3G.

I recently bought a Kindle, because I liked the Kindle controls much better than the regular Nook's. Kindle has buttons; the Nook has a backlit touchscreen below the e-ink reading screen. I found Nook's setup very jarring. Also, the Nook is a bit heavier than the Kindle, which mattered to me because I do a lot of reading in strange positions (like lying on my side while nursing a baby ;)). Kindle customer service is reportedly better than Nook's. You can email PDFs to an email address and Amazon will convert them into Kindle format. I don't know if Nook has something similar. You can also read the PDFs as is, but it's more difficult because of the small screen.

With Nook you can go to a Barnes and Noble and read any e-book for an hour for free. There are also way more cool covers for Nook. And you can get customer service for Nook in the store (I think). Nook also has support for ePub, which is a widely used ebook format. Nook currently has library lending. It's coming for Kindle, but there's no set date for release.

I just got the Nook (with Wi-fi and 3G), and I love it!

If you don't plan on buying books from the Barnes and Noble online store though, the 3G isn't really all that necessary. So far I've downloaded lots of free Google E-books and Project Gutenberg books onto mine, but you have to go through the intermediary step of using the Adobe Digital Editions program. It is pretty quick to do though.

Actually, you don't need to use ADE for the Nook at all except for library books.

It is a simple drag and drop for epub and pdf. :)

This explains the difference in ink between the Nook and Kindle. Kindle uses Pearl ink technology, which is supposed to be easier on the eyes.

FWIW, I have a Kindle and love it. I wouldn't want a Nook. My DIL has a Nook and loves it. She wouldn't want a Kindle. We both love our ereaders. :001_smile:

As an earlier poster said, go and physically handle both. Turn them on and try to read a bit, and get a feel for which one you like better. If you have Best Buy, they carry both, so you can compare right there.

The only books you can download directly from your nook are the ones you get from BN. Otherwise they have to be sideloaded (downloaded on the computer, then loaded to the nook).

Actually, this is not accurate. I download books from other sites, like gutenberg.org, directly from my Nook.

Library books and (I think) pdfs have to be side loaded from the computer.

But when deciding between 3G and wireless, I think the wireless is just fine unless you spend a lot of time away from wireless networks where you can connect. You may need to download a book via 3G while driving in the car, for example, but most people won't need to do it because they can do it after they get home or to a hotel or work or Starbucks. If you don't often have access to a wireless network then 3G is a good solution.

That's cool about emailing pdf's to amazon and getting them back in kindle form. I'd never heard that. I use my nook color while lying on my side nursing too, and it doesn't bother me. But I agree that checking them out in person is a good idea.

As far as the library, I want to read Chernow's latest biography of Washington, but it is way to heavy in hardcover to carry around everywhere I go. My library has the ebook. I hadn't heard that the latest Kindle has better e-ink technology than the Nook (non-color). I'm sort of confused. I really want something easy to read but don't want to wait on library books! I guess I could though. The kindle has a special for only $115 right now...

The $114 Kindle is the Kindle with ads, you may not want that.

Also, today my library just announced that they are lending e-readers, so you might want to ask your library if they plan on doing this, so you can try them out beforehand.

I download books from other sites, like gutenberg.org, directly from my Nook. [/Quote]

How do you do this directly? I tried going through the Nook's browser to gutenberg, but it wouldn't let me download. It said "download not supported in this release".

Edited by jennifermarie

The $114 Kindle is the Kindle with ads, you may not want that.

Also, today my library just announced that they are lending e-readers, so you might want to ask your library if they plan on doing this, so you can try them out beforehand.

My husband bought me the Kindle wi-fi today with lots of gift cards I had saved up. It will be my Mother's Day gift! My decision was clinched by surfing the Amazon website - there are sooooo many books I can easily download for free directly from there. I searched author's names from my What Shall We Then Read, by Jan Bloom. Also, I searched many vintagy books I would like to read for light summer reading - Grace Livingston Hill, Isabella Alden and L.T. Meade. I didn't think it was quite so one step with the Nook - might be wrong but that is what I decided :). Also, the description of the E-ink Pearl was a deciding factor. Amazon will make library access this year, I think with Overdrive - which is what my library uses. Thanks for helping me decide! I'm excited!

I like that the Kindle is easier on the eyes--no glowing screen. I received one as a gift for Christmas and pretty much only download classics and free books.

My Nook (not a Nook Color) doesn't have a glowing screen.

I just got the Nook Color b/c I didn't really like the Nook physical setup. I like the touch screen of the Nook Color. Out of all the reviews I read (including the ones here, thank you ladies!) - the Nook was the most versatile for the price.

THere is an article by the Chicago Sun Times that really goes into the features of the Nook. You can read about the Kindle vs. Nook etc at their respective websites but they are slanted and biased.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/2781636-452/nook-color-book-kindle-device.html

I love the LendMe feature of the Nook, the fact I can go see a live person to show me how to do something, and it's been super easy to find books to read for free. BooksforNooks.com is a lending community, our library has ebooks.

I just didn't like Kindle, those buttons would get dirt in them too easily for my tastes. I preferred to have a back-lit screen to adjust when I want instead of having an external light source, etc...