Menu

Year round schoolers and others.

hsmom

Do you do a full load all year? Or do you break up subjects through out?

Dh doesn't want ds to have a full summer off. He wants him doing some schooling daily. So, I was thinking that since our days seem to go longer than we expect or what his attention span can handle things like science, art and history are the first to get cut. We have been getting our science done pretty good actually since we started R.E.A.L..

So, do you think using summers to do art, history and science would work? Of course adding in some reading. Then the rest of the year doing LA, math, and all the others?

Now I would make it where we would do 1-2 hours a day on History to be able to cover what is needed to be covered. Or should I just suck it up get these done weekly like we need to and use our summers to continue with reading and living math, etc.?

I am really lost on what to do here. What do you do? What would you do?

We do reading and math through the summer. For this next year, my ds will be in first, and dd will be in K. I'm planning 36 weeks of history and science. When we have completed those, we are done with history and science. We *might* do a light unit studies for fun and to keep them entertained.

We just did shorter days, all year, with reasonable breaks (Thanksgiving to Christmas, a couple of weeks in the spring, a couple of weeks in the late summer/early fall, etc.).

I didn't see a reason to pick one season over another for a particular subject or interest.

So, do you think using summers to do art, history and science would work? Of course adding in some reading. Then the rest of the year doing LA, math, and all the others?

Now I would make it where we would do 1-2 hours a day on History to be able to cover what is needed to be covered. Or should I just suck it up get these done weekly like we need to and use our summers to continue with reading and living math, etc.?

I am really lost on what to do here. What do you do? What would you do?

We got behind in History and Science this year. (a few rabbit trails and a move will do that to you!) So we'll continue it through the summer. We had to last summer as well.

We also use the summer to sharpen skills that need improvement. So we will all be working on handwriting and spelling! We'll take some time off of math though. My kids don't seem to lose math skills over the summer but they always lose LA skills. :glare:

We do all of our subjects all year. History & Science just get spread out to do in 11 months (we end up taking about a month off total between all our breaks). This means that we might not do it all in any given week.

Math & LA are things that just keep going. I don't want to stop for such a long period that I have to do a lot of review the next time we pick it back up. The only time I back off on this is if we have gotten so much done that he's not mature enough to handle the next step. Then we'll go into review mode until he's ready. But I don't put it down completely. (But this can happen at any time throughout the year.)

Your plan sounds fine. I prefer to keep going in the skills areas so we don't have to spend a lot of time reviewing in the fall, but you don't HAVE to do it that way. Some people do a lighter load of skills to keep those going while focusing on the content areas. Either way is fine.

We're doing a full load year round, with breaks every 6 weeks, or as we find we need one. The nice thing is that I don't get stressed about getting things done, since we have extra time. Last week when tornadoes came through my area, I was able to set aside school for the rest of the week so I could focus on helping friends that were without power. Today we started back up, and it's not a big deal that we missed 3 days last week.

Guest RecumbentHeart
We do all of our subjects all year. History & Science just get spread out to do in 11 months (we end up taking about a month off total between all our breaks). This means that we might not do it all in any given week.

Math & LA are things that just keep going. I don't want to stop for such a long period that I have to do a lot of review the next time we pick it back up. The only time I back off on this is if we have gotten so much done that he's not mature enough to handle the next step. Then we'll go into review mode until he's ready. But I don't put it down completely. (But this can happen at any time throughout the year.)

This is our house too.

Well we just cannot drop the math and LA for my son in the summer. He seems to magically "lose" it all. Last summer we worked hard at it since he was way behind. This summer he will just continue reading, reviewing any last phonics concepts, and we will continue with Math since he is a bit behind there. After we finish the series I will probably just do review until our new school year begins in August.

I find my children are sometimes not developmentally able to just zoom right into the next year's material, even though I am ready for them too.

We are planning to do a lot of science this summer. We will probably work at it double time or as much as we can since he loves it and it has been the thing to get way-laid at our house in busy times.

I would be hesitant to drop LA and Math both. What about alternate days of some review over the summer? For us it would also be heavy having both history and science running hard over the summer. If you must do both I would try not to run it too hard. Maybe try working on a mostly 4 day week (2 days of each) with that last day of the week being art centered with some other fun added in. It is still summer after all. :)

We have Fine Arts Friday at our house so our art, artist study, and heavier composer study are all done on that day after very brief Math and Spelling. That day is short and we like it that way. I think my children probably appreciate Art more since that day is special at our house.

I know you'll hear lots of great ideas!

Laurie

I try not to set it in stone, as it varies from year to year.

Some years it is just fun stuff with review, or a full load, or catching up Science and History. This year it will be moving forward with the youngers, honing LA skills with the oldest, and reforming the schooling habits of the #2 :lol:

But, that's how I treat each quarter- review the goals and accomplishments and plan the next move accordingly.

What do you do? What would you do?

With my little guy summers are typically lighter. Reading and math just continue. Anything else that is accomplished is just a bonus.

Today we started a unit study on cars. We didn't have time to do this during the school year. I had also considered using Konos this summer.

HTH-

Mandy

This is our first year, and we have just had a lighter year all year. I am trying to remind myself that we are going through the summer, therefore we are not horrifically behind.

My thought was that kids like routine, so we are planning on just staying light and easy, but doing it all year. We do Math and reading everyday, Latin twice a week and other than that we just go with the flow.

In Wyoming we are required 180 days. We school year round and it works out to 3 weeks of school, 1 week off. Then we get another 3 weeks off whenever we want/need them off. It works great. We school lighter during the summer. We do math all year every day we have school. In the summer we work on finishing up whatever we need to from the previous grade, then slowly add a subject at a time of the next grade. Clear as mud? :001_smile:

Example-- My 3rd grader finished her science but she is a science nut so we started another book 3 weeks ago that she chose and will work on through the summer and possibly into Sept. THEN she will start her regularly planned 4th grade science. She is almost done with her math, but I bought the worksheet packets she will do during the summer (2 a day) and sometime in June or July I will give her the Singapore Placement test (we did singapore until this year and are adding it back because I love the combination of that and Horizons. I don't know why I stopped :glare:) then I will get the first books in that to restart her (whether its 3B or 4A). I will start her 4th grade Horizons in Sept. She will finish english next month and we will stop with that until Sept. She also is a history nut (like science) and so we will do some extra history over the summer (She is just reading through SOTW 3 since we are switching to MFW next year) After SOTW 3 I have some American History I will do with her until Sept. We will start the MFW history in Sept. She will stop spelling the end of this month. She will not do "formal" reading this summer BUT in the summer we follow the WTM example of 1 biography, 1 science book, 1 history book, 1 extra nonfiction and 1 classic. We go on mondays and they have 2-3 weeks to finish those then we will go do that again. We do Bible daily as a family so that will continue.

NOW- that is similar to how I do it with my older kids. My 6 1/2 year old has been diagnosed with special needs (Autism, sensory processing disorder, sensory integration dysfunction, eye tracking problems, tourettes syndrome and low tone) so learning has been hard for him, he will continue a full schedule during the summer. I will also add in my 5 year old as he will start kindergarten in September.

My 7th grader will drop Science (even though she is a HUGE science nut) and continue with history over the summer. She will drop english, but continue with writing. She will drop logic, and formal reading (again doing the WTM rec of 1 of each kind of book) and she will continue math all summer.

Which DS--14 yo or 6 yo? For a 6 yo, I would recommend keeping up on skills-related subjects during the summer. We generally take 6 weeks off, but between my son's 1st & 2nd grade years we did more like a regular PS schedule & took 10 weeks off. He forgot so much, it was awful! So I make sure to incorporate some fun ways to work on skills, even just a bit, during time off, and don't take as long of a break now. I think you can be more flexible with your 14 yo.

Merry :-)

We go all year because we take so many breaks, because we often do only four day weeks, etc. :D I would do thirty minutes of reading a day, without fail. You could do handwriting, if you know that your younger children may need to practice so they won't lose the skills they have without practice for so many weeks. I'd read a novel or two out loud throughout the summer, something you all would really enjoy. And you could read books relevant to where you travel or where you explore (ponds, lakes, seashore, etc.) Other than that, I'd base it what you know your individual kids would benefit from continuing. Some stuff can clearly wait till the fall... The other stuff could be done in a few hours a day before you go enjoy the summer weather. :D

Which DS--14 yo or 6 yo? For a 6 yo, I would recommend keeping up on skills-related subjects during the summer. We generally take 6 weeks off, but between my son's 1st & 2nd grade years we did more like a regular PS schedule & took 10 weeks off. He forgot so much, it was awful! So I make sure to incorporate some fun ways to work on skills, even just a bit, during time off, and don't take as long of a break now. I think you can be more flexible with your 14 yo.

Merry :-)

6yo. My 14yo is in ps.

That is what I fear about dropping anything too much that he will forget it all.

We do all subjects year round. HOWEVER. We take days off when we feel like it-not too often, it seems, but it's nice to have the option. We have a slightly lighter load in the summer, and the boys do go to 2-3 weeks of summer camp and the only requirements during summer camp are reading.

We continue Math, WWE, Spelling, Latin, History, and Science but without me trying to 'accomplish' a certain amt each week. If they work for a couple of hours one morning and we all feel like hitting the pool, I'm cool with that.

This is my oldest's first year home schooling. I am planning on doing math and reading all summer, just to keep it fresh. I will also likely work on science with my dd all summer, too. We just started Apologia Zoology 1 and she is finishing 4th grade. I'd like her to be able to work through as many of the grammar school science books of Apologia as we can.

We do everything nearly all year. On our weeks off during the year, we don't do LA or math. More than a week, though, and they start forgetting. I think during longer breaks (2 or 3 weeks in June) we'll do math 2 or 3 times a week and still read every day.

We do a full load as far as time goes, but what's in that load varies. Last summer, we did the "Dragon World Tour", where we spent the summer studying different dragon legends and learning a bit of geography along the way (fun!). This summer, DD wants to learn about Native american peoples-she's been really into Kaya since she got the doll for her birthday, and now she wants to look at the different groups, ("including Alaska and Hawaii, mommy, they're part of the USA now too!"). I think it's mostly a ploy to try to get me to buy Kailani now instead of waiting until November (and I'm sure I'll hear about the American Girl dog sled, too. Fortunately, as far as I know there's not an Inuit American Girl), but I'm more than willing to spend a summer reading about different groups that were here before the Europeans were and building various American Girl scaled items, and call it school, before really diving into Core 3.

DD's science class, which drove our home study, is done for the year and won't start up until August, so summer Science will be hopefully raising frogs, growing a garden, and lots of open exploration.

We'll continue math, foreign language, and daily music practice.

And we'll have several breaks due to 1 week camps, VBS, and travel-which is one reason for NOT starting a Sonlight Core in the summer.

You can check out my siggie for our 36 week traditional schoolyear subjects. We school "light" in the summer. This summer , that will include TheSentence Family, SSL, LOF, a typing program for my boys, and finishing up handwriting and spelling, as well as reading aloud as far as we can get into the Lord of The Rings trilogy. (please ignore the typos...I am without home Internet and have only my phone)

Edited by texasmama

We start slowing down when the public school lets out in June. During June-July we still do math and Spanish. They participate in the summer reading program at the library and practice their instruments. We take the last week of July off, then start back up in August. The first week of August is pretty light and the 2nd week is pretty much back to normal.

Karen