Menu

If you were a missing library book . . .

The weirdest places I've ever found library books were 1. underneath a recliner and 2. in my daughter's bookcase (that one was especially hard to find, since I never even thought to look there and discovered it while putting away some of our own books).

Probably under the stove. :glare: That's where we found our long lost library book that we'd already paid for. We only found it because we had the linoleum in our kitchen replaced with wood laminate and they had to move the stove to do it.

Based on my last experience... in the library. :glare:

That's happened to us several times, too. Worth checking out!

Our library is installing new electronic check-in stations this month, hopefully to reduce the likelihood of this happening so frequently.

I find them all the time on my kids' bookshelves and usually they are turned around.

You'll find it the day after you buy it from the library :001_smile:

Kelly

That's what I'm expecting. :glare:

I already checked at the library--we have that problem every couple of months. They actually did have the book, just not the copy that we had checked out.

Mine tend to be hiding in a book case, but turned around or grouped with books that look similar.

:iagree:

Or in the case of CD's, in with all the other CDs! We had a CD that was 'lost' for 8 years! I turned in the case, but not the CD apparently (I only kind of remember having the CD...) and then we moved. 8 years later we moved back and I tried to get a library card. I still had a lost CD on my account. The weird part was I still had the CD in with my other CDs!

But yes, they are usually on the bookshelf or mixed in with the other books on the floor, in the bed, etc. (We keep books all over the place!) I will often times pick up a library book and put in the library basket. Then an hour later it's found it's way back out. It's a good thing I can get online and check what books we have out so I can go on the hunt before they are really late.

Hardest one yet was stuck under the car seat in such a way you didn't see it but had to reach your hand up and feel it in the bars.

Ones in the bookshelf of our books surprise me too.

Most common place is definitely between the bed and wall.

Are you sure you didn't turn it in?

In a car: under the floormat, in the trunk, in your dh's car after he promised to return it but forgot.

In a child's dresser drawer.

Under a bed, under a mattress, under a couch, under a couch cushion, under a dresser.

Mixed in with magazines, school books, bookshelves (not booKshelves though). Any place you have a stack of reading materials: bathroom, coffee table.

At a friend or relative's house.

In a backpack (my kids used to pack everything in there while pretending). In a sports bag (as if he had a chance to read while playing hockey).

ETA: At my library, the book can be "missing" for six months until it turns over as "lost" on a patron's account and they are finally charged for the book. IF you find the book after paying for it, we will refund your $$, minus the $3 processing charge. We will also permit you to replace the copy yourself. You can buy a new or used copy; it must be in at least a similar condition, and a hardback must be replaced with a hardback. We sometimes don't offer this information unless specifically asked; it depends on the staff member and the patron. I encourage you to ask.

Edited by Kristine out of lurking

Behind the small dresser in my youngest son's closet. We found two there, months after the due date. I had to move the whole dresser out to find them.

Within a stack of drawing papers and sticker sheets that were stashed under the small table in my daughters room and hidden by the long playsilk tablecloth.

And possibly left behind during a vacation across the other side of the country - never found that one!

Good luck!

Strangest place we found one (still cannot get it out) was a book on CD that the CD player 'ate'. I looked and looked and then when putting in a music CD heard a strange rattle. Apparently, the CD player really liked that book (but my pocketbook sure didn't when I had to pay for it!)

We have a 6 or 8 branch system. Only one we "lost" was not checked back in, and refiled on my local library's shelf, v. the main library's shelf. The librarians were most apologetic when we found it together. :)

Usually between DD's bed and the wall..... but the last missing one was a graphic novel of DS's that somehow ended up beneath the pile of clothes that DH folds to rewear and keeps on a chair in a corner of our bedroom. We never did figure out how it got there.

Check the bookshelves. My DD has, on several occasions, put library books "Away" when she was cleaning up, on one bookcase or another. It's especially bad because we get a lot of books from library booksales, so we have a bunch of ex libris copies, so a library book isn't all that visible.

We've never permanently lost a book, but I've had quite a few that I've paid for, then, a few weeks later, brought back and got a refund on. Luckily, our librarians like us :001_smile:.

In the refrigerator crisper drawer, under the celery and carrots. Yup.

Behind the refrigerator (along with the TV remote control). Also yup.

My kids have a thing for the refrigerator apparently. :D Maybe yours do too.

in my daughter's bookcase (that one was especially hard to find, since I never even thought to look there and discovered it while putting away some of our own books).

Hardest place to find library books. That's where most of our missing books end up.

Around here....

In the 2 yr old's bed.

The 5 yr old's bed.

The 9 yr old's bed.

Under the couch.

IN the couch.

Under the 7 yr old's bed or dresser or maybe just maybe in her nightstand.

Or maybe the van, back row most likely.

In the refrigerator crisper drawer, under the celery and carrots. Yup.

Behind the refrigerator (along with the TV remote control). Also yup.

My kids have a thing for the refrigerator apparently. :D Maybe yours do too.

:iagree: EVERYthing lost eventually ends up in the fridge thanks to DS. :tongue_smilie: