Menu

Osama Bin Laden

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm more likely to give the credit to the intelligence folks and those in the military, especially those who signed on with this particular mission in mind. I will add that I'm grateful that it got done. By any president.

Are you saying that they could have done this without their President giving the OK?! Of course, I respect the military who carried out this mission! They were given the OK from our President!

I'm saddened that at such a momentous moment that some members of this forum are being so small. Not surprised entirely, but saddened none-the-less.

Bill

:iagree:

And with that I'm signing out. I'm enjoying the footage of the lively crowd in front of the White House. My dh's aunt died in the 9/11 attack, my dh was a first responder and coughed for months and months after working there and I'm going to just enjoy this moment.

Perhaps there are security reasons for the conflicting reports.
Prior to the President's speech, MSNBC plainly attributed the "information" that was trickling out to congressional staffer leaks as the courtesy heads-up calls were made.

I'm saddened that at such a momentous moment that some members of this forum are being so small. Not surprised entirely, but saddened none-the-less.

Bill

:iagree: I didn't vote for Obama but this is a good thing and shouldn't end up as just political back and forth. I pray for safety for our men and women still out there protecting us.

But I was flipping through the channels pre-speech and every one of them had "someone" on the phone who was adamant that this happened a week ago, then the dna tests (and we all know those take some time, especially in a case like this one)...

And now, the only one who is saying "a week ago" is the ditzy gal on one of our local channels while the other anchor guy shoots eye daggers at her and interrupts her.

:confused:

Don't love the misinformation.

Me either. :confused: This is driving me nuts.

Looks like Fox news is still reporting last week.

And with that I'm signing out. I'm enjoying the footage of the lively crowd in front of the White House. My dh's aunt died in the 9/11 attack, my dh was a first responder and coughed for months and months after working there and I'm going to just enjoy this moment.

I'm sorry for your loss. We lost a friend as well. Killing bin Laden doesn't make it right, but this is not time to be small people.

Bill

:iagree: I didn't vote for Obama but this is a good thing and shouldn't end up as just political back and forth. I pray for safety for our men and women still out there protecting us.

:iagree: I thought President Obama's speech tonight was amazing. I'm hoping I can find the text tomorrow. We've been at war my entire adult life because of Bin Laden. I can't help but feel amazed, not celebratory, but like justice has been done and I don't even believe in the death penalty. I'm conflicted, but thankful to our current and former Presidents, our military, and those who helped make this happen.

I'm sorry for your loss. We lost a friend as well. Killing bin Laden doesn't make it right, but this is not time to be small people.

Bill

I'm sorry for all of the losses and thankful for Americans' service. Also Bush and Obama for the parts they played in it.

Let's not get into the God debate on this thread, please. :D Thanks

Are you saying that they could have done this without their President giving the OK?! Of course, I respect the military who carried out this mission! They were given the OK from our President!

Of course, they could only do it with his ok. (Only Oliver North with a little help from Rambo could have accomplished this on their own ;)). And I think he did more than give his ok. I'm grateful that he kept pursuing this despite calls from many to completely withdraw and abandon the war on terror. I just think the lion's share of the work came from the intelligence community, who were finally able to locate him through three presidencies (possibly w/help from our Pakistani allies) AND the military members who risked everything to make this happen. I know many service members who joined with this mission in mind.

Of course, they could only do it with his ok. (Only Oliver North with a little help from Rambo could have accomplished this on their own ;)). And I think he did more than give his ok. I'm grateful that he kept pursuing this despite calls from many to completely withdraw and abandon the war on terror. I just think the lion's share of the work came from the intelligence community, who were finally able to locate him through three presidencies (possibly w/help from our Pakistani allies) AND the military members who risked everything to make this happen. I know many service members who joined with this mission in mind.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm just glad *this* chapter is closed. :grouphug:

And with that, I'm going to bed (knowing I took part in a thread that will be deleted before I wake - too bad).

A few things I read said he authorized the mission to get bin Laden a week ago. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from. It sounds like the mission was authorized last week, and they killed him today.

This is still what Fox is reporting.

:D

You too Elaine :glare:

Bill

You are trying to turn this thread into a "you hurt my feelings!" pansy party. Please. People don't always agree, it's OK.

No one is being "small" they are voicing their opinions. It if makes you that sad, maybe you should not read it.

Me either. :confused: This is driving me nuts.

Looks like Fox news is still reporting last week.

Watching a replay of the speech, I believe Obama said he authorized it last week, and it was carried out "today, at my direction...". I can see how there could be some confusion, especially if bits were leaked earlier

Congratulations to all involved in this success!

Prayers for all those in harm's way - pay attention to the crowds tonight, they are cheering for you!!

I give our US Military 100% of the credit. Thank you, men and women of the US Armed Forces! :patriot:

But if you give the military 100% of the credit that leaves no credit to the intelligence officers, the Pakistani co-operation, the president or any other security force that may have deserved credit. I give the US Military credit too... maybe even the majority of the credit but I'm pretty sure they didn't act alone.

You are trying to turn this thread into a "you hurt my feelings!" pansy party. Please. People don't always agree, it's OK.

No one is being "small" they are voicing their opinions. It if makes you that sad, maybe you should not read it.

It's been too long Elaine! :w00t: 2012 is right around the corner. ;):D:D:D

This thread didn't start about who likes/dislikes Obama. We seriously can't all agree that it's a good thing Bin Laden is dead? We can't just all be happy he is out of the picture and can't hurt anyone else? The OP didn't start a political thread but others decided to bring it in. There was no need. I am not an Obama supporter but this is a good thing and I felt no need to make it political. It was unnecessary.

Nicely put. I wanted to respond, but it was no where near as well done. Thank you from saving me from myself. :001_smile:

Come on guys, let's not get this thread deleted. A lot of you have posted inflammatory remarks on this thread.

Emotions are high tonight. Let's just live and let live.

:chillpill::chillpill::chillpill: Please?