Menu

Take the SAT in 10th grade?

Can anyone tell me if they have had a child take the SAT in 10th grade? I'm thinking that it would be excellent practice for the PSAT, but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried it.

Many Thanks!

If it's the PSAT/NMSQT (the one in 11th grade that counts for National Merit) that you're looking to prepare for, I think the best prep is using some good prep books and taking it in 10th grade.

In any event, it is better to use the PSAT to prep for the SAT than the other way around. Your dc's PSAT scores will never be seen by colleges--only by you and the National Merit folks--whereas all SAT scores taken from 9th grade on stay on the student's record and will go to the colleges your dc applies to (despite score choice, because many colleges still want all the scores).

For additional testing experience, you might consider doing the ACT in 10th grade. I had my dc do this. With the ACT, you can choose which score you want sent to colleges.

whereas all SAT scores taken from 9th grade on stay on the student's record and will go to the colleges your dc applies to (despite score choice, because many colleges still want all the scores).

Didn't SAT change this policy recently to allow the students to choose which scores to report? I believe that is how we did it this past fall with my ds#2.

Didn't SAT change this policy recently to allow the students to choose which scores to report? I believe that is how we did it this past fall with my ds#2.

Some colleges still request that all scores are sent. They can't force you to do it, but you've agreed to it on the application. However..... the one I know of is Yale, and they request all ACT scores too.

I don't think there are a ton of colleges that do that, but for the ones that do, it's good to be aware ahead of time!

The two tests emphasize two different things in math. Of course there is overlap, but I'd use a 10th grade PSAT to prep for the 11th grade PSAT (specifically).

That said, I had middle son take the ACT in the spring of his 10th grade year - just out of curiosity to see where he stood. He took the PSAT fall of 10th grade as well as fall of 11th grade.

Thanks everyone:)

I've missed the opportunity to have my son take the PSAT this year (10th grade) so I was just thinking through my options. I've had him take a few of the old PSAT tests that I bought from the College Board site. I guess my next step will be having him take it here at home in as much a "testing" atmosphere as I can manage.

I'm planning on using this summer to prepare him as much as possible. He is a very smart kid so I'm thinking we may have a shot at this thing. His is my oldest so I'm really not sure what to expect in the end. Poor kid is always my test case.

Has anyone used the College Board test prep class?

• 1 month later...
Not 10th, but DD took it in 7th.

My cousin's kid took the SAT in 7th grade to qualify for DUKE TIP and his high school's IB (International Bacculaureate) program.

My friend's daughter also took the SAT in 7th grade to get into her school's IB program.

PSAT is the best prep for the PSAT, but my son took the SAT in 9th because we were out of town during the PSAT. And I wanted him to take the essay portion in a real test environment - I can't recreate that at home. He had taken the PSAT the year before and just wanted to know what the other was like.