Menu

Need book suggestions for a girl looking for funny books

Little Librarian is good reader and is working on the Narnia books right now. It's rare for her to just pick the book up on her own and read it. Usually I have to suggest it to her or put the book in the car for her to read. This weekend however she read two entire Calvin and Hobbes books. I was delighted! At one point she was reading by the campfire with a flashlight. She has asked for more because she likes how funny they are and while I don't mind her reading comics I'd like to get her other books also. Any suggestions for more funny books that she'd like?

My girls love Roald Dahl. The other poster was right. They aren't crude exactly, but they aren't prim and proper. For example, in "The BFG", they eat Snozzcumbers and drink Fizzpoppers and it makes them whizbang (toot). And there is occasional use of a British word that has a different meaning for Americans. Like a$$.

Half Magic is SO funny, and at about the same reading level as what she is doing now.

Ben and Me is also hilarious, and it actually features a lot of good information about the life and times of Benjamin Franklin.

The Twenty One Balloons is pretty funny as well, although it might still go over her head.

If you just want an easy break, Amelia Bedelia books, with their plethora of puns, are pretty funny as well.

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series. I think Wee Free Men is the first.

Note: it is about a witch.

I'm not sure I'd give these to even an advanced 6yo though. An 8 or 9 yo, yes -- DD the Elder just finished these for the first time and I could hear her laughing two floors away.

Joan Aiken's Arabel and Mortimer series, Arabel's Raven is the first

A Bear Called Paddington and sequels

some of the Freddy books by Walter Brooks are hilarious, Freddy Goes to Florida is the first

Roald Dahl

Horrible Books -- Histories, Science, Geography

Asterix

The Smartest Man in Ireland by Mollie Hunter

some Eva Ibbotson (the descriptions will give you an idea which, and also which are age appropriate)

The Moomintroll series by Tove Jansson, Comet in Moominland is the first

Terry Jone's Fantastic Stories

Astrid Lindgren (Karlsson, Pippi, Lotta, Emil)

The Great Piratical Rumbustification & the Librarian and the Robbers by Margaret Mahy

Uncle books by J.P. Martin

Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat

James Thurber -- The Wonderful O

The Mysterious Benedict Society (series)

Sam Campbell series (Loony Coon, etc.)

Wizard of Oz (series)

Time Warp Trio (series)

The Hobbit

Heathcliff, Fox Trot (cartoons)

Detectives in Togas (and the rest of the series)

Roman Mysteries (series)

The BabyMouse and Squish graphic "novels" for kids are very fun.

Yotsuba&! is a *big* hit around here. They're carried at B&N, but in the Manga rather than the children's section. They are, however, suitable for any age.

The Mysterious Benedict Society (series)

Sam Campbell series (Loony Coon, etc.)

Wizard of Oz (series)

Time Warp Trio (series)

The Hobbit

Heathcliff, Fox Trot (cartoons)

Detectives in Togas (and the rest of the series)

Roman Mysteries (series)

These are all great books, but maybe not for 6 yr olds! The Hobbit is great, but might be appreciated more in a few years. And the Roman Mysteries are rightly aimed at pre-teen/young teen audience.

some of the Freddy books by Walter Brooks are hilarious, Freddy Goes to Florida is the first

Roald Dahl

The Smartest Man in Ireland by Mollie Hunter

The Moomintroll series by Tove Jansson, Comet in Moominland is the first

Astrid Lindgren (Karlsson, Pippi, Lotta, Emil)

DD has loved these (it's nice to see Smartest Man in Ireland on your list), but her favorite was the Sophie series by Dick King-Smith. Perfect for a 6 year old, even if she is an advanced reader.

DD has loved these (it's nice to see Smartest Man in Ireland on your list), but her favorite was the Sophie series by Dick King-Smith. Perfect for a 6 year old, even if she is an advanced reader.
Oh, I love these. I would recommend getting the UK editions (available in two volumes) as the US editions have been horribly americanized.

Sophie's Adventures

Sophie's Further Adventures

These contain the six original books, and I believe they are available new from BookDepository.com.

Oh, I love these. I would recommend getting the UK editions (available in two volumes) as the US editions have been horribly americanized.

Sophie's Adventures

Sophie's Further Adventures

These contain the six original books, and I believe they are available new from BookDepository.com.

:iagree: Upon your suggestion last year, we bought the slipcase from Book Depository. It had all six books. Looks like you have to buy two sets now. Price is right, though, especially with free shipping!

You have never steered us wrong Moira. I revisit your lists regularly. ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Ooh. This will be a double hit because my Little Librarian is a Sophie. Thank you.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add a series dd is reading through - Worst Witch by Jill Murphy. Fun stories about a disaster-prone witch-in-training. Think a funny Harry Potter for younger kids.

Not sure who recommended this series on the board (nmoira? Eliana?). But thank you!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. So far we've read a Franny K Stein and about four Dick King-Smith books cover to cover this weekend. It's been a great reading weekend for my Little Librarian. I just get all teary eyed when I have to tell someone that it's dinner time three times because they're so absorbed in a book. Reminds me of me when I was that age. :001_smile:

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add a series dd is reading through - Worst Witch by Jill Murphy. Fun stories about a disaster-prone witch-in-training. Think a funny Harry Potter for younger kids.

Not sure who recommended this series on the board (nmoira? Eliana?). But thank you!

Thanks. I'll add it to my library list.

My daughter laughs out loud when reading the Hank Zipzer books by Henry Winkler. (I haven't read them myself, but my husband reads them to my 6yo and they both enjoy them as well.)

She also quite enjoys the Clementine books and again, I hear her giggling out loud when she's reading them. (Which totally makes me smile and warms my heart! :D)