Menu

Dr. Hive, first-time eczema at 40?

I have several bumpy red patches on my neck and chest. The bumps are a bit shiny. They weren't itchy in the beginning (a month ago, or so) but the are beginning to itch more these days.

My doctor visually diagnosed them as eczema patches and gave me a steroid cream to apply every few days. He told me to keep them well moisturized the remainder of the time, so I am using shea butter a couple times a day.

They're not going away. In fact, I would swear they are getting bigger and, as I mentioned, they are itching more.

Would you go back to the doctor? Ask him to do a scraping or...something?

Or do I just need to wait longer for the medication and moisturizing to work?

Do people really develop eczema for the first time after 40?

I developed eczema when I became a sahm and it got really bad on the palms of my hands - red, itchy, the skin was peeling, etc. The dr prescribed stuff to no avail so I just dealt with it. For years. Then out of the blue a chiropractor friend recommended acidophilis for dd's cradle cap. I decided to take it myself - just whatever I found at the local grocery store. No more eczema. I just take one a day when symptoms persist. I don't know if that will work for you, but it's worth a try. Very inexpensive and not painful at all.

I developed eczema when I became a sahm and it got really bad on the palms of my hands - red, itchy, the skin was peeling, etc. The dr prescribed stuff to no avail so I just dealt with it. For years. Then out of the blue a chiropractor friend recommended acidophilis for dd's cradle cap. I decided to take it myself - just whatever I found at the local grocery store. No more eczema. I just take one a day when symptoms persist. I don't know if that will work for you, but it's worth a try. Very inexpensive and not painful at all.

Wow. How long did you take it before you noticed it working?

I am a 20 year eczema sufferer (where is my pageant banner :001_smile:).

If it is not improving I would see a dermatologist. In my experience, regular doctors are clueless.

My eczema was so bad my dermatologist had to send me to a dermatologist who specialized in eczema.

It could be so many things causing it from your laundry detergent to your body soap, perfume. In my case I am allergic to gold (I'm convinced I am the only person in America).

I would be hesitant to put a moisturizer on top of an infected area. I would think you could just be making it worse.

There are also hundreds of creams they can prescribe for eczema (in case the one you are using does not do the trick). There are also lots of non-steroid creams that are quite effective as well.

Even if you haven't switched detergents, they might have "improved" it. What kind of detergent do you use? I can only use certain liquid detergents-Tide Free, Seventh Generation (I can actually use the scented), a couple others. I can't use All, I can't use Cheer, there are a lot of detergents I cannot use.

I would be suspicious of this being eczema. The steroid should have worked by now. I don't know exactly WHAT I suspect, and eczema has many manifestations, but this doesn't seem right to me.

Also, shea butter is a nut butter and some people have sensitivity to this. California Baby Calendula Cream is a very good option, and also is petrochemical-free.

Moisture won't take away the eczema; it keeps it from scaling and cracking.

Have you used a new lotion? new soap? new detergent?

Have you taken to eating a new food?

Did you get a new pet?

Is there a stress in your life that is new (I am thinking of your losing your mom here, among other things--teenagers...etc.)?

These are things to think about, and others that I am not thinking of. And I don't know what doctor you went to, but go to a dermatologist or possibly an allergist.

Thank you Patty. Nothing new regarding products or pets that I can think of.

The stress part could be interesting--I definitely have a few things causing some anxiety right now.

I will call a dermatologist tomorrow morning.

Even if you haven't switched detergents, they might have "improved" it. What kind of detergent do you use? I can only use certain liquid detergents-Tide Free, Seventh Generation (I can actually use the scented), a couple others. I can't use All, I can't use Cheer, there are a lot of detergents I cannot use.

I use a store brand, and have for a couple of years. They certainly could have changed the formula and I wouldn't know. I have used Seventh Generation in the past... I wonder if it's worth a try to switch to that again.

I developed it at age 38, while I was nursing our third child. My journey was from my doctor, to a dermatologist, to an allergist, to a dermatologist that specializes in eczema. Along the way, I discovered I am now allergic to a couple of chemicals common in personal care products (like Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo!), yellow dye (can't wear yellow, orange, or brown clothes anymore), and borderline a few other things. I only use tide free also. And if you look up Vanicream, you will find the name of a company that makes products that are probably safe to use. I think they are called Pharmaceutical Specialty, Inc, or something like that. I use their soap and moisturizers.

What the various professionals all said to me is that if you have any allergies at all, you are always susceptible to developing more.

If you don't get answers from a dermatologist, you might try a nutritionist/elimination diet. W have a friend who went through a similar thing, although it was hives, and it turned out to be celiac, developed when she was pregnant with her first.

Good luck; hope it is something minor.

I have several bumpy red patches on my neck and chest. The bumps are a bit shiny. They weren't itchy in the beginning (a month ago, or so) but the are beginning to itch more these days.

My doctor visually diagnosed them as eczema patches and gave me a steroid cream to apply every few days. He told me to keep them well moisturized the remainder of the time, so I am using shea butter a couple times a day.

They're not going away. In fact, I would swear they are getting bigger and, as I mentioned, they are itching more.

Would you go back to the doctor? Ask him to do a scraping or...something?

Or do I just need to wait longer for the medication and moisturizing to work?

Do people really develop eczema for the first time after 40?

I've had eczema for 32 years. About 7 years ago it changed and the cream was not working anymore. It turned out that my eczema morphed into psoriasis. When you use topical eczema cream on psoriasis, it gets worse and can burn and itch. I'd go see a dermatologist. FWIW, neither eczema or psoriasis ever really goes away, it is just somewhat managed, and topical creams can help minimize the itching.