Menu

SL 200 - Does anyone know what time period this covers? and more..

After reading someone's post, I realized I'd really like to do:

9th & 10th - World History/Geography - (Our High school calls their version "World Studies")

don't know about lit - which is why it would be nice to use SL 200 & 300

11th - American Studies - include History/Geog/Govt/Lit. (SL 400)

12th - ??? Western Civ ??? - and British Lit (SL 500)

I'm wondering if SL 200 would cover from Ancients through 1900 (then, we'd pick up with SL 300 for 20th Century). Since it's technically supposed to cover the history of the "church", I have a sneaking suspicion it won't cover Ancients. Does anyone know?

Or, do you think it would be easier/better to use Human Odyssey over two years? Would that also cover Geography?

Any other insights? Thanks!

Rhonda

who is really feeling SL-envy at the current moment, if you can't tell ;)

Core 200 starts at about the time of Christ. My older daughter did Core 200 after she had done ancient history & lit using other materials. We did use a world history textbook alongside Core 200 to fill in with more of the political and cultural history, but the Core did discuss a lot of those issues as they intersected with religious history. I can't remember the last weeks of the core without looking back at the IG, but it does cover church history through the 20th century.

Is it something you would recommend?

We will finish SOTW-4 at the end of 8th, so I don't think we'd have time to do a full Ancients. Sounds like it might be tweakable, but I wonder if we have to tweak it, if it would still be worth it.

Thanks for responding!!

Rhonda

A good way to judge the time period covered is to explore the table of contents for "The Story of Christianity" at Amazon. You can view it to get a feel for the topics covered although most of the missionary info is found in the "From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya."

ISBN-10: 0789496100

Most of the historical fiction marches along with the history, but the literary doesn't (as indicated in the SL catalog) - but they are still great books!

Does that help?

Peace,

Janice

Thanks, Janice, I overlooked that book in the catalog. What a treasure - I wish I had the money I would buy it now!

Looking at Amazon has started the juices flowing - adding in Read-Alouds of Myths or doing some summer reading. Personally, I hope to read some Augustine.

Of course, all this is contingent upon this child *making* it to high school without me strangling him!!!!!! :rolleyes: