Menu

Do you tweak HOD or MFW or do I need to think again?

Hebrews3:13

I am so past confusion. I just cannot decide. My oldest is going in 10th grade and I have NEVER had this much trouble choosing curriculum. (I have hers chosen btw). I thought I had settled on MFW, but now I am not sure.

So I am trying to decide primarily for DS going in 3rd grade with possibly having little sis (sort of between K-5 and first by fall) as a tag-along in science/history.

He has some learning issues and is just now reading well, so nothing too crazy rigor wise. I would place him solidly in Bigger in HOD. She would be in Little Hearts still. I had looked at MFW Adventures since he has not done a year with American History.

I really want history integrated with Bible if possible and literature. I really want to choose my own science, math, and language arts. I probably want to make my own decision on artist and composer study also. I am happy with my choices there. I like a classical history rotation, but do not mind some American History thrown in alone for younger years. I love Charlotte Mason, but veer from her some on LA.

I like the thought of combining some things for my younger two eventually or even now since I also have one in high school.

I wish I could buy a package, but I have never been a package person. I want to do my own mix too much. I have thought about forcing myself to do a year package of one or the other and just see if I can hack it.

Does anything exist like what I want outside of these options? SOTW personally does not thrill me and then I have to add in Bible. I like them to be integrated and honestly I do not do a good job of that on my own. If it isn't sort of built in, then I don't do it. I have looked at TOG and SL, but it just looks like a lot for me to get together and quite a lot of $- maybe more than I can hack right now.

I have been reading a Bible Storybook to mine daily, but soon we will finish it, then what? Sorry, I have never been good at helping the children with Bible study. :confused:

I like the looks of the grids with everything scheduled, but I could schedule on my own. My DH would prefer I got something already scheduled and with more leg work done. I pieced together my own stuff this year and it did take a lot of time.

I looked at HOD too, but then will it work with my own science, math, and LA? I at least like the cost better than breaking up a MFW set. Argh!

Is there some choice I am missing that may work?

Hoping someone has an idea(s).

Thank you ladies!

Laurie

I totally understand your frustration. Here is what we are using for my upcoming 11th grader:

MFW World History

We used Ancients last year and it was very Bible integrated. I actually really loved it for my daughter. She felt it lacked a little in the amount of reading. So this year we are going to add in some of the literature reading from Omnibus V. MFW has American history scheduled for it's 11th and 12th grade years. It included Govt and Econ. My daughter did Core 100 with SL for 9th grade. I wish I hadn't done that. She did Ancients this year, will do World/Medieval next year (11th grade), and we will have to figure out what to do for 12th. You can easily do your own LA, science, and math with MFW.

My next oldest will just be using Bob Jones for 8th grade history. Not my favorite choice but she detests literature based programs.

I am going to use HOD Preparing with my two youngest children in the fall. I have never used HOD and am planning on tweaking it to meet our needs. My oldest has learning issues so I think this will be challenging enough. We will use our own LA, math and spelling. I will not be changing these. I am going to use their science. It looks like a perfect fit for us.

Anyway, not much advice but I totally understand where you are coming from. I have had knots in my stomach trying to get a plan together for this year.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

It's been awhile since I've posted here, but had to say I very much identify with your post. You're describing my feelings (and very nearly my situation) as it has been the last couple years. I like AO, but I don't feel very confident with CM's LA methods. I want a package, and then again I don't. I want to combine.... and then it doesn't seem to work very well, etc....

I've never used MFW, but my understanding is that while designed for combining, it's NOT designed for a Ker to combine with olders. Maybe others will have more helpful advice for you on that.

I've used parts of HOD a couple different years.... I wonder if you would be successful combining your two in Beyond, beefing up for your older? Imho, this would be more appealing than running Bigger and LHFHG at the same time. Plus, I liked Beyond quite a bit better than LHFHG. I think you could easily do your own math, LA, and science.

All the best!

Lynn

Guest RecumbentHeart

What about Veritas Press or Biblioplan or Mystery of History .. I'm not familiar with those last two but see them mentioned a lot. :D You would have a basic schedule, you could combine if you want, you could do little or much as you please with rigor.

Or perhaps you could do Adventures first and then one of these history plans if you want to do some American History this year.

I just finished this pass year with MFW ADV with a 8yo and 5yo.

It was a fun year. ADV is easy to have a K/1st grader tag-a-long with without being a burden.

There is a grid for Math and LA and they do have certain recommendation BUT they are not pre-scheduled. This makes it super easy to sub in your preferred math and LA. That is exactly what I did.

The science in ADV is fun and tied to the study of the names of Jesus a bit. Super easy and fun. Science in only schedules 1-2x per week with another day as a nature study day. Again, very easy to add in a little bit more science if you want.

The music study was well done but easy to sub out if you prefer. We also did our own thing for art.

I enjoyed our year and was glad that I decided to go with MFW ADV. It was just enough history/science so we could really focus on reading.

Another thing that I really like about MFW is the schedule. I also tend to like to do my own thing and have a dh who encouraged me to go with a prescheduled package. MFW has just enough schedule but not overly scheduled....if that makes sense. I can easily add in a little here or there to their basic program so that I feel like I'm personalizing it for my kids without letting lesson planning take over my life. When I don't feel like it then I can stick with the basic grid and know that I have all the basics covered.

The Bible study portion of ADV is really well done and easy to do. My son is very proud of his Names of Jesus Poster. It is precious!

HTH

I just finished this pass year with MFW ADV with a 8yo and 5yo.

It was a fun year. ADV is easy to have a K/1st grader tag-a-long with without being a burden.

There is a grid for Math and LA and they do have certain recommendation BUT they are not pre-scheduled. This makes it super easy to sub in your preferred math and LA. That is exactly what I did.

The science in ADV is fun and tied to the study of the names of Jesus a bit. Super easy and fun. Science in only schedules 1-2x per week with another day as a nature study day. Again, very easy to add in a little bit more science if you want.

The music study was well done but easy to sub out if you prefer. We also did our own thing for art.

I enjoyed our year and was glad that I decided to go with MFW ADV. It was just enough history/science so we could really focus on reading.

Another thing that I really like about MFW is the schedule. I also tend to like to do my own thing and have a dh who encouraged me to go with a prescheduled package. MFW has just enough schedule but not overly scheduled....if that makes sense. I can easily add in a little here or there to their basic program so that I feel like I'm personalizing it for my kids without letting lesson planning take over my life. When I don't feel like it then I can stick with the basic grid and know that I have all the basics covered.

The Bible study portion of ADV is really well done and easy to do. My son is very proud of his Names of Jesus Poster. It is precious!

HTH

:iagree: This is exactly what I was going to write :-) Except my kids are 7 and 5 and we are just finishing up adventures. It has been a great year and it was very easy for the 5 yr old to join in... it surprised me how much she retained from it.

You could purchase just the economy package of Bigger Hearts which would be just history (Bible is included in the guide.)

If you wanted literature you could: buy the deluxe pack of read-alouds, or the extension package, or a DITHOR package.

I have never used MFW, although I was very drawn to it before I found HOD. So my answers here represent my experience with HOD. I know you can also combine and tweak with MFW.

I really want history integrated with Bible if possible and literature. I really want to choose my own science, math, and language arts. I probably want to make my own decision on artist and composer study also. I am happy with my choices there. I like a classical history rotation, but do not mind some American History thrown in alone for younger years. I love Charlotte Mason, but veer from her some on LA.

HOD gives you all this - Bible is integrated with history (and literature is integrated in the later guides - starting with Bigger). HOD has American History for the younger years then an overview of history (Preparing) and then starts the chronological rotation. You can easily add in your own artist and composer study. It is CM but differs when it comes to LA as it has a stronger grammar program. It does use dictation and narration also. You can also easily add to the science or use your own science for HOD.

I like the thought of combining some things for my younger two eventually or even now since I also have one in high school.

What I do when I need to do some combining with my children is I combine them for the Bible, Music (Hymns or Hide Em in Your Heart), Poetry and Read-Alouds. If you are doing your own science you can combine them for that too. Then they would each have their own LA, Math, History and reading.

I have been reading a Bible Storybook to mine daily, but soon we will finish it, then what? Sorry, I have never been good at helping the children with Bible study. :confused:

HOD Bible is already included and gives you suggestion questions to ask your children to help guide you. :D

I looked at HOD too, but then will it work with my own science, math, and LA?

YES, In fact for math and LA it gives you the scheduled book they use and then it says "or use your own" :D

At some point in time, I will just create my own curriculum. I tweak everything and I don't think anyone's science or writing is enough. We always add science. There's nothing wrong with adding to your program. If you feel like you need more science or composer studies, add them!!!

I don't have suggestions, but I understand what you're saying. :001_smile:

At some point in time, I will just create my own curriculum.

That's my dream! I want to, but I don't see me getting around to it anytime soon. I have been piecing together for years. Dh is NOT a fan. Apparently it consumes too much of my time? :001_huh:;)

He especially requested me to get something more scheduled, so I am trying desperately to oblige him.

I do love CM help. We have used it 2 years with my son and longer with my daughter. For me it is still a lot of planning. I do not/ cannot follow things exactly like Linda Fay, as my children are not academically where hers are. My son has lots of learning disabilities and my oldest did not begin with CM, so for her it has been a challenge to adjust to the level these books are working at- although it has come along.

I am working out of a LOT of different books and so I would spend a lot of time locating them. It was like a wild goose chase for books. There are no CM help book packages, you know? :) I know many things can be found online, but neither of my children really appreciate reading online. So I nickel and dime myself to death at Amazon or spend hours at used book stores. It gets old and honestly time consuming.

I feel like I am lacking clear writing instruction in the upper grades and I am a person who needs a lot of hand-holding there. It has left me with a disconcerted feeling with my oldest. Can she read and discuss Jane Austen or Ivanhoe? Certainly, but she cannot write about it all that well. That does not work for me. I want to feel like she is prepared all the way around.

Also, the Bible factor again. I really want it integrated more and there are options out there that will do that for me.

Do not get me wrong, I believe it can work well for many. Others who felt more confident about writing instruction and maybe already owned the books would be great (or had no issue just buying them all new). She has a weekly schedule, but again I would spend some time tweaking that and fitting things where I wanted and needed them. My Dh wants things to be more open and go, which I can understand. The older they get, the less time I seem to have somehow?

I guess I love CM, but again veer a little with the LA suggestions. My son can narrate very well. He can also do dictation well and spell well, but I want all the bases covered. I am leaning toward HOD. I think it may be a better, more conveniently scheduled alternative. HOD's author seems to feel the way I do about earlier grammar, etc. so I am happy about that. Now I just have to overcome the fact that I will have to have two guides. Argh.

Hope this answers your question!

Laurie

Thanks for your reply! I am leaning toward HOD, too, but because I am a Catholic, I worry that the religious integration will become a hindrince. I could be wrong, I'm thinking of contacting Carrie today to ask her about it. I am thinking that even if I do HOD for one year (Preparing) it will help my boys build skills that they could use to tackle a more pure CM approach the following year.

Maybe... :)

Kris