Menu

Favorite books about John Muir or John Audubon?

Last month, I had to pick up something for my son for cub scouts. I was unhappy as the only parking spot I could find was several blocks away. Well, I was unhappy until I looked up and discovered I was parked in front of a used bookstore! It was a treasure trove of old books! I actually found a copy of Treasure Island with color illustrations by Milo Winter. One of the books I purchased was John Muir Father of our National Parks by Charles Norman. It was published in 1967. Thus far, I have only had the opportunity to skim though it, but it looks promising.

Krista

This is for me. :)

DUH! I feel so foolish! I read this as meaning, This is for me (to use with my kids). I was thinking it was an odd comment, as who else would be teaching your kids? :001_huh: lol. Total 'duh' moment. Well that was embarrassing. :leaving:

I have a biography by John Chancellor copyright 1978 that has a mix of color and black and white plates. It's about 220 pages. Easy read. ISBN number 0-670-14053-8. I also have one that I haven't read yet, by Richard Rhodes. ISBN number 0-375-7193-X copyright 2004 and looks like it's much more in depth, and has some nice plates too.

HTH,

Chris

The most engaging book that I have read about/by John Muir is one that I found last year after meeting the author/editor.

It is called "Kindred and Related Spirits: The Letters of John Muir and Jeanne C. Carr" edited by Bonnie Johanna Gisel. ISBN 0-87480-682-8

I purchased it used on half.com for a few dollars.

Here's the link:

Kindred and Related Spirits

The reason I like this one is because it is a collection of their letters that they wrote back and forth over the years and it shows his style, his motivation, his spirit, and who he really was and also the influences of that time that made him so important. His relationship with Ralph Waldo Emerson is worth reading the book for.

I also love The Wild Muir, The Yosemite, The Story of My Boyhood and Youth, and My First Summer in the Sierras which are not so much about Muir but about his experiences which I find fascinating since I stomp the same ground he did in a lot of places. :) We just got back from a trip to Yosemite where we hiked a bit of the John Muir Trail and I always stop and ponder on how things were when he stepped on those slabs of granite and how much things haven't changed in some ways. Nothing like walking in someone else's hiking boots. :)

Anyway, just thought I would give you another book to think about reading. He is one of my favorite "topics" of conversation in my real life....yes, I am a little off-beat. ;)

Your friend,

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

I got so into my Muir reply that I forgot to share the Audubon book that I like.

"Under a Wild Sky" by William Souder

ISBN 0865476713

I got this one from bookmooch.com and it is a treasure. I would highly recommend this one for you to read Jessica.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom