Menu

Yet another HOD thread...

mom24boys

;)

I am TOTALLY enjoying LHFHG (and right side of Beyond) this year and plan to continue with HOD. It doesn't seem to me, however, that HOD teaches spelling rules and/or phonics rules. (We used The Reading Lesson and really enjoyed it but no real rules there.) Two examples would be:

1. i before e except after c or in sounding...

2. when c is next to an i or an e, is says the /s/ sound. when c is next to a, o, or u, it says the /k/ sound.

If not, does anyone have suggestions as to how to supplement to get some of these type rules? Thoughts? I guess I'm a bit more interested in spelling rules than phonics rules. (I've never looked at a spelling curriculum...maybe that's where I'd find what I'm looking for?)

Thanks!

I think that HOD's philosophy with reading/spelling is that by daily usage and practice the student will learn correct spellings. Instead of learning rules and trying to apply them HOD uses the spelling lists and copywork in Beyond and Bigger w/ dictation as well. I see that there are spelling "patterns" that are listed but nothing specifically "taught" to the child in the guide, kwim? I could be totally wrong since I'm fairly new to HOD myself but we are using Preparing and there is no mention of using a separate spelling program other than the dictation and copywork exercises. If you want something more rules-based I would suggest All About Spelling (AAS) or Phonics Road (PR). I think AAS would go well with HOD w/out being overkill while PR might end up being just that...overkill...esp. in the upper levels. This is where I am finding myself now...how to use HOD and PR together w/out it being too much LA. Ugh.

I also use HOD and I also use AAS....LOVE aas!

CTC for your older with MOH 1 for your 3rd grader... I just have to say that that is brilliant. I can not believe that never occurred to me!! I bet it is really fun to do those two together. I'd love to know how this is working for you. Does your 3rd grader sit in on the CTC read-alouds? Are there any portions of CTC that your 3rd grader sits in on or participates in?