Menu

How much do you push cursive?

sixglides

Guest momk2000

My kids are required to learn cursive, and I do also require them to use it in some of their writing assignments. My youngest is in K, so this doesn't apply to her yet, but my oldest will sigh when I tell her to do an assignment in cursive. Her best friend (goes to ps) tells her cursive is only good for signing your name. This is about the time dd started to give me a hard time about learning it. Before her friend went and made this comment, she enjoyed learning cursive and I never had any complaints. :glare:

I'm a "Cursive First" Mama with Handwriting Without Tears, and I want only cursive. Printing is easy to learn later. I think it's good for them. Heck, maybe schools should just have computers for the kids. ;) At least if they were all just on computers, they could do it for less $$$ and they could just have "monitors" instead of teachers.

My oldest DDs learned cursive in K at their private Christian school-and I am SOOOO grateful! They do slack off and use manuscript when they can, but I do encourage their "best work" for school assignments. I think it's an important skill to have-I wouldn't spend HOURS fighting it, but I do think it's something they'll appreciate knowing how to do when they're older.

I don't push cursive at all.

Of all the things to struggle with, I would not make this a hill to die on. It is not worth it to us.

My dd12 learned it in third grade and used it then. After that year she requested to go back to print. I agreed. She hasn't done cursive since. My ds10 learned cursive in first grade. It was supposed to help prevent reversals. It didn't work for him. He still reversed letters in cursive. He uses a modified italic writing. Finally he is not reversing letters and I can read his writing. My ds6, I haven't taught cursive. I do not intend to teach him cursive for at least a couple more years and then only if he asks.

I would expect a 9yo to be doing everything in cursive (except for things which should be printed, such as map labels).

Computers do not completely replace writing. And our dc will not always have access to computers.

I cannot imagine purposely limiting a child's literacy. Of course children should learn--and use--cursive.

My children all have to learn, although I waited until third grade or so. My oldest was capable and whatever I was using for handwriting didn't start it until then. With DS, he had a tough time even printing for so long we put it off until third.

After the initial learning period (until it is mastered) I only require it for writing assignments and copywork. While they are still learning though I am fairly strict about it. My oldest seems to fluctuate back and forth. My DS has not mastered it yet.

I feel they do still need to learn it. Call me old-fashioned. If nothing else, others will write that way and they will not be able to decipher it, right?

Oh, good point. She needs to be able to read it. I want her to be able to WRITE it too. Can I just say, this child fights me on everything, and maybe I was just looking for an excuse to NOT have to fight her on this also.

We'll keep marching forward...in cursive!

I feel they do still need to learn it. Call me old-fashioned. If nothing else, others will write that way and they will not be able to decipher it, right?

It's more than that. I believe a classical education does involve learning from some original sources, and many important historical works are written in Spencerian style cursive. While it is easy to get copies translated into manuscript, being able to read the originals has great value in almost photographing that document in the mind.

There are other reasons to teach cursive. Good handwriting is an art form, and even now, in this day and age of type, I get daily remarks on my style of handwriting. People still judge by the neatness of handwriting--a sloppy signature does not convey the same message that a well-formed, neat and stylish one does. The only way to get good at penmanship is to do it over and over, AND..

Can I just say, this child fights me on everything, and maybe I was just looking for an excuse to NOT have to fight her on this also.

...The same thing applies to other disciplines as well.:001_smile:

Mostly children should learn how to write in cursive so they can READ cursive writing. :) That said, there are ppl who write in cursive that even *I* can't read. LOL! Another reason to teach cursive to your children is if they consistently reverse letters. There is NO way to reverse cursive letters. However, I don't require my children to write in cursive except on a few things. When they are fluent in cursive then I have them do their copywork in cursive. If they learn how, then never use it, they will lose it! lol!

I think some teachers in public schools teach children HOW to write in cursive, but most (maybe all) don't require students to write anything in cursive unless it's handwriting. I've talked to many middle/high school students who don't use it at all and are not required to use it.

To the OP, have you tried letting her use sparkly, neon, gel or scented markers?

Dd8 likes to do her cursive practice on colored papers too. I have shown her a lot of illuminations with curly swirly writing and have helped her make her own illuminations. This is what prompted her wanting to learn traditional cursive (although there are several letters that I have taught her to write the way I do because I think the traditional ones are ugly).

As for whether I think it is important or not...I think everyone should be able to at least read cursive but I think writing in cursive isn't a necessity. I personally think italics cursive is nicer looking. Dd8 has done italics and traditional cursive (by her own request) and now has melded the two into her own style which looks very neat and classy. Most adults have their own styles of handwriting that looks nothing like the traditional cursive we all learned in school. I've also never seen a professional paper\report written in cursive. Most forms that you have to fill out as an adult are to be filled out in print. I can't think of anytime as an adult, other than your signature, that you would need to write in cursive.

Anyhoo just my .02.:D

My DS (9) struggles with it. On everything but HWOT (cursive) he prints. Cursive is still very foreign to him (he sometimes calls it spanish lol.) I know his friends in public school are writing in cursive full time now, so I'm trying to keep him on level since he will be going back to public next year.

My DD learned printing in PS K, and is learning cursive at home. Right now, copywork and handwriting have to be in cursive, but everything else is up to her (in general, if she's got room to write and doesn't have to write quickly, she uses cursive, but if it's a little worksheet blank or she's trying to get ideas on paper she prints, because while she has nice, clear cursive and kind of sloppy print, she doesn't have a lot of speed in cursive yet).

My plan is that by 3rd grade it will be cursive only except for labeling maps and the like.

My kids are required to learn and use cursive. They must write all of their schoolwork in cursive. DD just finished up her last copybook (we use Spencerian), so she's onto copying passages of Scripture in a notebook for practice, but she still must complete her schoolwork completely in cursive. Legible cursive. I think learning it teaches a lot:

1) If it's difficult, it teaches them to keep going, even when the going gets tough, and that some things are just worth the effort. Also, later down the road, they'll be able to see that even though there seemed to be no point to it at the time, it is very helpful later.

2) Reading cursive.

3) Both of my kids complained that their hands hurt during handwriting. What we use is a LOT of copying... lines, then letters, then words, and finally sentences. A LOT. We traced it back to poor muscle tone in their hands. Insisting that they finish their practice has built their hand muscles, and they never complain of pain anymore.