Menu

Suggestions for ecology/envioronmental science programs or books?

As I tackle this planning I realized I was focusing on the "standard" sciences of biology, chem, and physics. Which I still have no clue on BTW ;)

But I realized DS is very interested in nature and outdoor things. We've talked a little about him being a park ranger, DNR officer, or maybe Coast Guard. He's still in the "I don't know stage" which is fine at his age but these are common themes that have been consistent for the last year or so.

So I was wondering about some good science books or programs in the ecology or environmental or nature areas. I'm thinking in the 8th-10th grade range I think sine I'll still save chem and physics for the last 2 yrs.

If you have any ideas for biology leaning toward this type of job I'd appreciate those too!

Thanks!

My son participated in Envirothon for a number of years. Teams formed and studied material in five subject areas (wildlife, aquatics, forestry, soils and Current Environmental Issues). Then came district competitions at which teams qualified for the state competition. These competitions involved testing, but prior to the test there were great hands on workshops.

I don't know how other states do Envirothon, but I would check it out.

Also, 4-H here in NC sponsors forestry and wildlife studies and competitions. These may serve as either a good extracurricular or a supplement to your coursework.

Science and Civics: Sustaining Wildlife

Project Wild

Curriculum guide for grades 9-12

Project Wild National Office

Council for Environmental Education

5555 Morningside Drive, Suite 212

Houston , Texas 77005

www.projectwild.org

The book was free, a nearby hs group had a class with it. I'd also check the National Wildlife Federation, www.nwf.org and The Nature Conservancy for materials.

Argh! I just typed up a huge post and lost it due to being logged out.

Project Wild is a program for teachers to learn how to use the Project Wild materials in their classrooms. Great program, but not meant for kids. I'm guessing the co-op use mentioned may have been someone using the PW materials to teach the kids?

As an environmental educator, I would highly recommend the Exploring Ecosystems series which includes:

Lakes, Ponds, and Temporary Pools by David Josephs

Wetlands by Marylin Lisowski

Rivers and Streams by Patricia A. Fink Martin

Woods and Forests by Patricia A. Fink Martin

Prairies, Fields and Meadows by Patricia A. Fink Martin

These books cover an amazing amount of info. in just 120 or so pages. They contain numerous hands-on activity ideas as well as a plans for science related testing materials you can make yourself. I think it's perfect for middle school age kids, but certainly educational for ages above that as well.

I'd link you to them at Amazon (where you can see inside as well) but my menu bar isn't functioning tonight. But go check them out, they are pretty inexpensive too.

If you have any questions or thoughts, feel free to pm me. I'm passionate about this field of study! :)

Here are few living books on wildlife that might be of interest:

Summer World by Bernd Heinrich (ecology of summer)

Broadsides from Other Orders by Sue Hubbell (insects and invertebrates)

The Edge of the Sea by Rachel Carson (Shoreline habitat)

The Year of the Turtle by David Carroll (turtles)

Bringing Nature Home by Douglas W. Tallamy (interdependence of plants and insects)

Wild Season by Allan W. Eckert (the food chain)

Chasing Monarchs by Robert Michael Pyle (Monarchs)

Adventures in Nature by Edwin Way Teale (self explanatory)

The Living Year by Richard Headstrom (the seasonal round)

Most of these authors have written a number of books. These are just a sampling of the best.

In terms of career paths:

a) park rangers are law enforcement officers (carry guns, rescue people, deal with drunk, disorderly, and dimwitted people in the park), park naturalists are the staff members who do environmental education/recreation/and nature programming, trail work, lead hikes and canoe trips, do research etc.

b) department of natural resources/department of environmental protection etc. are state agencies dedicated to the enforcement of environmental and game/hunting laws. Staff ranges from biologists, administrators, lawyers, inspectors to public relations persons.

c) environmental educators teach about nature in zoos, botanic gardens, arboretums, nature centers, museums, and schools

d) biologists, zoologists and ecologists typically have a masters degree or PhD and do scientific research for a university, zoo, or other conservation organization

e) conservation organizations: World Wildlife Fund, Wildlife Conservation Society, Sierra Club, Audubon Society have innumerable jobs related to the preservation of wild species and their habitats

These are just a sampling of the best.

c) environmental educators teach about nature in zoos, botanic gardens, arboretums, nature centers, museums, and schools

d) biologists, zoologists and ecologists typically have a masters degree or PhD and do scientific research for a university, zoo, or other conservation organization

e) conservation organizations: World Wildlife Fund, Wildlife Conservation Society, Sierra Club, Audubon Society have innumerable jobs related to the preservation of wild species and their habitats

Thanks for the interesting post! My ds has been involved in the ZooTeen program at the local zoo for several years. I always thought his interest is in animal care. This summer, he was given the choice of animal care or a more advance interpreter's job. He choose advanced interpreter - stating that he likes teaching and helping people to know more about the exhibits.

So perhaps he is more an "environmental educator." I just didn't really know the word for it.

Guess he and I need to investigate that field a bit more!

Susie

As an environmental educator, I would highly recommend ........If you have any questions or thoughts, feel free to pm me. I'm passionate about this field of study! :)

I have a question(s).... what type of degree do you have and what kind of prep for that degree would be helpful?

Thanks,

Susie

a) park rangers are law enforcement officers (carry guns, rescue people, deal with drunk, disorderly, and dimwitted people in the park), park naturalists are the staff members who do environmental education/recreation/and nature programming, trail work, lead hikes and canoe trips, do research etc.

b) department of natural resources/department of environmental protection etc. are state agencies dedicated to the enforcement of environmental and game/hunting laws. Staff ranges from biologists, administrators, lawyers, inspectors to public relations persons.

Thanks for resources. We are lucky enough to have friends in most of these jobs so DS has a good idea what they are and been able to see the differences (and the realities) of the jobs.

I have a question(s).... what type of degree do you have and what kind of prep for that degree would be helpful?

Thanks,

Susie

My degree is actually in Corporate, Community, Outdoor Recreation. Related jobs would be like what you see here at this college: http://www.mnsu.edu/programs/recparksleisure.html Couldn't see the course requirements right off hand.

I did my internship at the END of college with a state park naturalist and fell in love with the natural interpretation aspect. If I had to do it over again, I would have continued on and gotten a degree in environmental sciences. Something like these: http://www.smsu.edu/Catalog/index.cfm?catalogYear=67&categoryId=310 Scroll down and expand the page to see the classes required for these degrees.

This college has a list of occupations on the left of the page and on the right side of the page, in red, are the class requirements for each degree. A little different angle than the first two colleges. http://www.bemidjistate.edu/academics/majors_more/envr

Here's another college (maybe more than you need) with environmental sciences as well. https://webapps-prd.oit.umn.edu/programCatalog/viewCatalogProgram.do?programID=106&strm=1119&campus=UMNDL and https://webapps-prd.oit.umn.edu/programCatalog/viewCatalogProgram.do?programID=3123&strm=1119&campus=UMNDL

Classes can really vary depending on whether he goes in the law enforcement aspect, education/interpretation aspect, recreation and leisure aspect, scientist aspect, park management aspect, etc. But I would say hit the Biologies-birds (ornithology), geology, animals (zoology), water (hydrology),(limnology), insects (entymology), ecology, etc. Especially what's most common in your area. If you live near the ocean or he has an interest in oceans-then study marine biology. Study the birds, plants, animals, geology and ecology of your area.

I think verbal and written communication skills will be important in any of those areas. If he's interested in the science aspect of it then he'll need chemistry, physics, organic chem., math courses. If he's interested in interpretation, I have a couple good book suggetions for that, but also communication, education courses. Park management will involve leadership, management courses. If he's interested in the Recreation aspect there will be program planning and skills courses (cross-country skiing, biking, swimming, canoeing, weight lifting/fitness center, etc.)

Connect with a local state park, environmental learning center, wildlife or wetland management area, local soil and water conservation district, etc. and learn about what they do, interview them, see if he can volunteer, or get in on some of their projects and kind of get an idea which direction he'd like to go.

That's what I have for starters. Will add more if I think of more. Looking over this, it can be a pretty broad area, can't it?

Edited by Jeanne in MN

The Acorn Naturalists catalog includes a lot of books about interpretation and environmental education. It is an easy way to find titles and descriptions all in one place. They are not, however, the cheapest place to buy books.

The Acorn Naturalists catalog includes a lot of books about interpretation and environmental education. It is an easy way to find titles and descriptions all in one place. They are not, however, the cheapest place to buy books.

Oh yes, I drool over this catalog! I need to request a current copy, it's been a while.