Menu

Is anyone else having to school this summer?

I haven't had a very good year. Unfortunately, my kids have suffered education wise. There were many days that I didn't care whether we did school work or not. I have failed and as I type this I am crying because I should've put my kids first and not let them suffer. Now, that is in the past and I can't get the time back, but we are paying for it now.

Even if I add Saturdays to our school week, we will still HAVE to school this summer. I wish we didn't have to or at least we would have some of the summer left, but we will be doing this year's school work all the way until the end of August, possibly September.

Anyone else with me? I might need some support.

Me, me! We moved mid-year and I never really got back on the horse. We will be schooling all summer with a short break in August before "starting next year." I'm not worried about it -- they are so bored and drive me so crazy every summer that I am always thinking I should do this anyway! Don't feel badly. They'll be fine. :)

We tend to school year round . . . it is just too hard to get back into the swing of things if we take a long break. It is also not wise for me to let my son with autism take too long a break as he will begin to lose skills. In the summer we try to finish by noon so we can have fun in the afternoon. We focus on math, reading and writing in the summer.

Perhaps you can minimize some of the work that needs to be done? For example, just reading and discussing things instead of filling out workbook pages or doing reports, etc.? If there is any "busy" work I would encourage you to let that go. Also, consider that most institutional schools never completely finish all the material. If a book is approximately 80% completed that is considered "done" in many school districts. It is okay if you do not totally finish every single little itty bitty thing! For example, my youngest is still working on her science book for the year. I decided we did not need to do all the little projects. We read the lesson, talk about it and sometimes look things up online. Easy, but effective.

I read an article by Valerie Bendt (veteran homeschool mom). She worried what would happen to her children when she was ill during a pregnancy. You may find this encouraging.

http://www.homeschoolmarketplace.com/booklists/VBendt.html

You and your children will be fine. I would encourage you to do your best, but schedule a "summer break" for at least part of the summer and begin again after the break with a clean slate.

:grouphug:

We're doing school this summer. I'm having a baby in August, and so I'm planning ahead for that, since I know I'll want at least a month (and probably 6 weeks) off from school after that.

We only do about 90 minutes of school a day, and my plan is to start early (around 9) so that we're done before DS's friends start coming over. We usually don't start getting knocks on the door until noon or so, so that should give us enough time to get school done and still let him play with his friends all afternoon.

You know, there are 365 days in a year, which begins January 1 and ends December 31. Not finishing this or that between September and June is not a big deal. You just keep working until you finish, and then move on. No biggie. :001_smile:

As far as I'm concerned, one of the advantages of homeschooling is being able to juggle schedules when you need to! My high school junior will have lots of english and math to do during the summer to catch up. We've had other more important things fill our lives during the school year this year. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Me!! But fortunately, it is just my high schooler. I had a baby after 10 years last year and I had problem juggling two 4th grader, a 6th grader and a 9th grader with a newborn. The last time I had a newborn twins, my oldest was in preschool. I just couldn't do it and let a lot slide. Now , we are paying the price.

Ditto.

We are year-rounders here too. We take breaks when we need/want to. It's great and doing this has allowed dd to work on other interests that came up this year (her blossoming year!)

And I must say this: You and your dh have academic goals for your dc. You may have state requirments to meet. Not every teacher in public school finishes every book for every subject. Think on that.

:)

Me too! We started off great, then we were trying to sell the house, dh was living in a different city during the week for his new job, we finally moved in February, started a new part-time thing at the same time, and school??? Yeah...well, the kids learned that it takes a lot of work to move, and mommy can't do everything. Summer school, here we come!

Yep! We'll be reviewing math and reading books all summer, plus probably some history and science if the neighbor kids can't play for whatever reason. My oldest didn't make it all the way through HO, in part because there were some topics we enjoyed and stretched out. We did have a full year of science, but I've got some more books I'd like to read if we happen to have the time.

I'm thinking of keeping school up in the summer then taking a long break in the fall. There aren't a lot of things going on in the summer (though the kids have a couple weeks of summer camps and my BalletBoy is trying out the bigger youth ballet classes from his usual small studio) and we're always so busy in the fall with co-ops, classes and general fall things (there's just so much going on in fall!). But we'll see. Last summer we stopped all summer, though we did do an extended project exploring classic films and how movies are made.

We will be doing school most of the summer, but short days. I'm planning on doing about 1/2 hour of math, 1/2 hour of Japanese, 1/2 hour a science kit I bought but we haven't used yet, and 1/2 hour of computer programming (Alice) every day. We'll sporadically study some movies using Movies As Literature. We'll also listen to a dramatized version of the Odyssey, which he'll be reading in the fall, and maybe audio versions of some Greek and Egyptian myths.

Wendi

We school year round, and we actually do a lot of work in the summer. Our state lets the school year start July 1, so we're all fresh and new then, and it's a good time to get a big jump on the work. (Plus, this coming year, with a new baby coming, it will probably take us the entire year to get through the work we want to do, regardless of when we start.) Don't feel badly!

:grouphug: Lisa. Please don't beat yourself up. I've had a rough year as well and we will certainly be schooling until mid-July at least. Your children probably haven't suffered as much as you think. They have learned things this year...maybe just in a different way. Or, they have learned more life lessons that are just as important as academics, IMHO. :grouphug:

We're unschooling this summer, and I'm not telling the kids!

We did part-time "regular" schooling last summer, and my kids were NOT happy about it. I don't think it would have bothered them if my oldest hadn't had 5 years of public school under his belt, but that was their reference point.