Menu

What other common type stores sell soccer cleats/shin guards besides Dick's?

Walmart has shin guards. I pretty much never buy cleats new. I've bought used cleats at Play it Again Sports (do you have a store like that? Sports consignment?) or regular consignment shops or Freecycle or friends. I think I bought one pair of cleats new one time at Sports Authority and they were part of a combo - Shin guards, cleats and a ball for some relatively low price. But I avoid buying cleats new in general; it's too much dough for something so fleeting.

Do you have a Sports Authority nearby? I would try there first. My experience growing up was that the quality of the equipment was not usually so great at Wal-Mart and Target. And if you spent a little more for the better equipment, in addition to the better protection factor, you could always resell it at a Play It Again Sports next season if you needed to move up a size.

Full disclosure: I do admit to being a bit choosy about sporting goods. :001_smile:

Full disclosure: I do admit to being a bit choosy about sporting goods. :001_smile:

:iagree: Me too, and for lacrosse sticks, protective gear (e.g. football helmets, eye protection etc.) we go to a sporting goods store. But my experience with cleats and boys is they get muddy, they get scuffed up and they out grow them quickly. We pass ours from oldest to youngest so ours get at least 3 seasons of wear and we haven't ever worn even a cheap pair out.

Then I would start at the consignment shop, especially if this is for your youngest and you won't get the extra seasons of wear. That way you still get the quality. I played for a number of years and I know breaks aren't common, but it did stick with me the couple of times I saw kids carried off the field with broken limbs... Or even the couple of times we were comparing equipment amongst teammates and someone had busted through a pair of shin guards at a practice or game.

Update: Read the responses here and then first chked at Wmart. I actually bought shin guards and socks there, but then went to Target for cleats, and the quality of the guards and socks was SO much better at Target that I bought guards and socks there instead (will return the others to Wmart). They weren't that much more expensive either. The cleats at Target were really nice (Lotto brand) and they were $19.99.

Thanks for the help-I would never have thought to check those places!

If he likes the soccer, I will definitely start keeping my eyes open for USED cleats in the next sizes up!

Update: Read the responses here and then first chked at Wmart. I actually bought shin guards and socks there, but then went to Target for cleats, and the quality of the guards and socks was SO much better at Target that I bought guards and socks there instead (will return the others to Wmart). They weren't that much more expensive either. The cleats at Target were really nice (Lotto brand) and they were $19.99.

Thanks for the help-I would never have thought to check those places!

If he likes the soccer, I will definitely start keeping my eyes open for USED cleats in the next sizes up!

You did good -- I usually pay 19.99 for cleats at Modells.