Menu

Please recommend simple, straightforward Latin program

Night Elf

I'd like to find a good Latin program that doesn't have alot of frills. We tried Latin for Children a couple of years ago. My son was fine with the memory work but didn't care for the sing-song chants or the puzzle like activities. I think he'd do best with a book that is black & white and has uncluttered pages.

Any ideas? Thanks!

We really liked the Memoria Press products, and did both Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I. If you go to the Memoria Press website, you can see some samples of the teacher and student books. The workbooks are uncluttered with a lot of white space. We used the flash cards to help with memory work, but didn't use the CD very much as I have experience with Latin pronunciation from choral singing. There is a separate puzzle book which we purchased but didn't use much either.

Janet

Getting Started With Latin. This is the one you want. Seriously. It's inexpensive. It's easy to use. One word or concept in each lesson. No frills. My son (who has dyslexia and was diagnosed then undiagnosed with Asperger's and ADD) has been extremely sucessful with it. Check it out!

Well, you could try Henle, with the Memoria Press syllabus. That's as straightforward and uncluttered as it gets.

An option that's a little more fun is Galore Park's Latin Prep. It does have color, though, and some cartoony pictures.

I'll look at Henle, thanks. I've heard good things about Galore Park but I really don't like that it isn't easily accessible in the U.S.

Getting Started With Latin. This is the one you want. Seriously. It's inexpensive. It's easy to use. One word or concept in each lesson. No frills. My son (who has dyslexia and was diagnosed then undiagnosed with Asperger's and ADD) has been extremely sucessful with it. Check it out!

Oh a recommendation from an Aspie. Even better! Thanks!

I'll look at Henle, thanks. I've heard good things about Galore Park but I really don't like that it isn't easily accessible in the U.S.

Bookdepository.co.uk delivers to the US for free.

Latin Prep (middle school) has colour and cartoons. So You Really Want to Learn Latin (high school) is largely black and white.

Laura

I also love Ray (out in San Diego) usually has LP1 in stock but will be placing an order on June 8, 2008, for mid-July Delivery. 25%-Off, as usual with ~7$ shipping.

http://www.horriblebooks.com/galoreparkbooklist.htm

I'd like to find a good Latin program that doesn't have alot of frills. We tried Latin for Children a couple of years ago. My son was fine with the memory work but didn't care for the sing-song chants or the puzzle like activities. I think he'd do best with a book that is black & white and has uncluttered pages.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Artes Latinae, a bit pricey but the publisher usually has specials and you can get book or computer format. It is a programmed learning course for Latin and the student has to finish each module before progressing. It's self correcting and presents each concept one at a time. That might be the way to go since it sounds like he needs to filter out unnecessary information for the task at hand. It was written by a professional Classicist and Latinist.

Older version of Cambridge Latin are typically in black and white and don't have a lot of visual clutter. They are inductive method, but you can of course incorporate as much grammar as you like and if you have the Scope and Sequence from the publisher, that makes it a lot easier to do. Make the declension chart for your student when they begin and then fill it in as you progress through the book. Eventually, they'll fill up those charts and have the full grammar lists. There are lots of worksheets available for Cambridge and an independent learning guide.

Wheelock is good too and low on visual clutter and is deductive in method and has a great support website.

Can I suggest that you try using a sheet of paper to cover up whatever is not being focused on in the lesson? Some people use notched index cards to help with reading too.

the Latin Primer series (Canon Press) is very straight forward, uncluttered, B&W. I used LP 1 and 2 with my daughter. Book 1 is *very* basic, mainly vocab. and "endings" learning, Book 2 is more of a true "learning Latin" text. I bought the Teacher's supplement (it is supposed to go along with a video component which we didn't use) because it had *quizzes* in there which were excellent reinforcement for the main text.

I think there are samples on Canon Presses' website....

HTH,

I purchased Getting Started with Latin. We've only done the first few lessons, but my son learned an entirely different lesson. He moaned and complained for 20 minutes about us starting Latin again. He kept asking the same questions over and over. Finally, I told him to just look at the first lesson in the book. It was covering one word - nauta. That's it. He was stunned. He laughed the next day when the lesson was only about there being no 'the, a, an' in Latin. Today when I suggested we begin with Latin, he eagerly sat down to read what lesson 3 was about.

My hope is that by the time we work through this book, he'll have enough Latin under his belt to not be afraid of language programs. I don't care how long it takes us to work through this workbook. I have no completion date in mind. I just want my son to enjoy learning and to understand that discovering something new isn't always a drudgery.