Menu

Is Foerster's Algebra 1 not strong in critical thinking probs?

Guest AnnaD

Guest AnnaD

I have a daughter that is home schooled and a son in public middle school. The school uses different text books for Algebra 1 -- one text book for advanced students and another for regular math students. The advanced track will use Foerster's Algebra I book next year while regular will use Larson's Algebra 1 Concepts & Skills book.

When I asked one of the math teachers about this, she said that "Foerster's is great for calculation-type problems but not as strong in critical thinking problems."

Do those of you using Foerster's Algebra 1 book agree with that assessment??? I've never heard that about Foerster's book. In fact, it seemed to be one of the top choices for Algebra. So I'm keen to get a second opinion, especially since I'm trying to choose an Pre-Algebra and Algebra program for my hs dd.

Thanks!!!

Anna

I have a daughter that is home schooled and a son in public middle school. The school uses different text books for Algebra 1 -- one text book for advanced students and another for regular math students. The advanced track will use Foerster's Algebra I book next year while regular will use Larson's Algebra 1 Concepts & Skills book.

When I asked one of the math teachers about this, she said that "Foerster's is great for calculation-type problems but not as strong in critical thinking problems."

Do those of you using Foerster's Algebra 1 book agree with that assessment??? I've never heard that about Foerster's book. In fact, it seemed to be one of the top choices for Algebra. So I'm keen to get a second opinion, especially since I'm trying to choose an Pre-Algebra and Algebra program for my hs dd.

Thanks!!!

Anna

Well, I would completely disagree with that assessment. Every section of Foerster has challenging problems geared for stronger math students. It contains more word problems than any math textbook I have ever seen. I have seen it listed on may private prep schools as the textbook for their honors level classes.

That said, I am impressed that any ps system incorporates 2 solid choices! I think that Larson's texts are fine. My oldest used the Larson pre-cal and both he and my #2 child used Larson's geometry.

My personal assessment is that Larson is not as challenging as Foerster and I definitely prefer the Foerster texts.

Well, I would completely disagree with that assessment. Every section of Foerster has challenging problems geared for stronger math students. It contains more word problems than any math textbook I have ever seen. I have seen it listed on may private prep schools as the textbook for their honors level classes.

That said, I am impressed that any ps system incorporates 2 solid choices! I think that Larson's texts are fine. My oldest used the Larson pre-cal and both he and my #2 child used Larson's geometry.

My personal assessment is that Larson is not as challenging as Foerster and I definitely prefer the Foerster texts.

:iagree: I would ask the teacher for clarification on a statement like that as I agree wholeheartedly with Eight's assessment. But then we are quickly becoming hardcore Foerster fans.

On a side note: 8FillTheHeart, would you recommend Larson's geometry? That is not even on my radar, but I am excited to hear of it as I dislike and despair of the geometry choices used with my older two children. I want something as clear as Foerster.

:iagree: I would ask the teacher for clarification on a statement like that as I agree wholeheartedly with Eight's assessment. But then we are quickly becoming hardcore Foerster fans.

On a side note: 8FillTheHeart, would you recommend Larson's geometry? That is not even on my radar, but I am excited to hear of it as I dislike and despair of the geometry choices used with my older two children. I want something as clear as Foerster.

Hi Lisa,

The Larson text is pretty much standard fare textbook geometry. I prefer Geometry, by Daniel Alexander and Geralyn Koeberlein (Houghton Mifflin Company, 2007) (the same text that Chalkdust uses.) It is pure geometry and stronger in proofs. It does not include alg review like the Larson text. Of course, I am intrigued by the AoPS geo book, but I am pretty sure I won't get a chance to use it with my dd b/c she doesn't seem to think the way AoPS teaches.

Side question, too. 8Fillthe Heart, is there a difference between the different versions of Foerster's Algebra I? Are the older ones better or are they the same, if you know?

The newer ones published by Pearson's (I think) are just a re-print of the original edition. Use what ever edition you can find cheap.