Menu

Any one found good Sunscreen for kids that seem to react to every sun block

My dd seems to react to every sun block we try, she gets a red raised nasty looking rash. I though I had found a brand we could use (lavera neutrals spf 20 baby and infant sun spray) and it was fine last year but this year the exact same bottle of spray is making her react and her poor face currently looks dreadful.

Has any one found any really good brands for kids who react to sun blocks/screens? I feel like I've run out of ideas.

I'll second California Baby. Target carries it (in the baby section with the shampoos and lotions, not with the other sunblocks).

http://www.californiababy.com/no-fragrance-spf-30-sunscreen-lotion-2-9-oz.html

It's more expensive than other products, but I find a very tiny quantity goes a long way and works well for us. You *can* rub it in (though it'll still be slightly visible on the skin).

I also try to put small ones in hats, whenever possible, to keep sun off of their face instead of using sunscreen. I allow their arms and legs to get as much sun as possible without burning (which means sometimes letting them play bare-skinned, sometimes using clothing to block the sun, and sometimes using California Baby or another non-chemical sunscreen, like Badger SPF 30 unscented sunscreen). Getting adequate vitamin D from sun exposure is very important, so I don't want to block *all* sun from their bodies. I simply try to avoid too much sun on their faces or burning elsewhere.

My sensitive-skinned youngest has no issues with Badger. I haven't tried California Baby with her because when we were searching it contained parabens. IIRC, it no longer does.

My sensitive-skinned youngest has no issues with Badger. I haven't tried California Baby with her because when we were searching it contained parabens. IIRC, it no longer does.

I'm pretty content using either brand on anyone in my family. Here are the safety ratings for each from SkinDeep -- they're about as good as you can get:

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/323373/California_Baby_Sunscreen_Lotion_No_Fragrance%2C_SPF_30%2B/

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/376729/Badger_SPF_30%2B_Sunscreen%2C_Unscented/

My son, especially, has always had extremely sensitive skin, and he has never had any type of reaction to either of these.

This sounds like my friend. Her son was having terrible reactions to every sunscreen she tried. Then she finally realized that the problem seemed to lie in how the sunscreens would start breaking down over time. It didn't matter what the sunscreen was, they would all work okay for a short while and then after a few uses he would start to react to them. This could explain why the sunscreen you mentioned worked last year but doesn't this year. So now she tries to only use close to brand new on this son. It's a pain, but it solved her problem.

I've tried most of these and the only one that I really like and would use again is the following:

Vanicream sunscreen, Sensitive skin, 60 SPF

I have found the others to either cause break-outs (like you experienced) or else they were so thick that they were unmanageable. The Badger one I didn't like either because it was too thick and had a really awful smell. I'm *really* picky about sunscreen and I will be buying Vanicream for my kids again this year, but definitely get the sensitive skin one, as it doesn't have the junk.

We use zinc or titanium oxide based blocks when we need to use something, otherwise, if we're not going to be out in full sun exposure for more than an hour, with no shade for relief, it's nothing but tan - and vitamin D production. No one burns here though, so YMMV depending on skin tone.

Sunscreens will all break down - they are chemicals.

You may wish to look only for sunblocks (eg: various formulations of titanium dioxide and zinc), as they are minerals.

Kids seem to think the colored ones are cool.

a

Blue Lizard. I bought mine at Rite Aid. I am very allergic to chemical sunscreens, and Blue Lizard is the only physical sunscreen that doesn't turn me silvery purple. (California Baby did and Burt Bees was just gross).

:iagree: We use the sensitive. The active ingredients are: titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, there are no chemical sunscreens.

The ones we have been using are physical sun blocks that also contain a various botanicals as ingredients. Not used the chemical ones for a few years. I will throw out last years sun block, I bought it last may, it says its ok till october but maybe it is breaking down.

I'll take a look at the various brands people have mentioned, looked at badger and the baby one seems to have safe ingredients for her, less extras.

She also reacts badly to kids face paints, pretty much any brand, never managed to figure out what it was that did it. The hypo allergenic ones affect her just as much.

Luckily she as quite an olive skin tone that she has inherited from dh and tends to tan.

Edited by lailasmum

Going to be the odd man out here. I would just not use any. We have had great success going sunscreenless. We simply avoid being in the sun mid day (about 11-2). If we are out then, I made the kids stick to the shade. And, my kids don't have lovely olive skin; they are white-white. Even when tanned, they are very light.

Going to be the odd man out here. I would just not use any. We have had great success going sunscreenless. We simply avoid being in the sun mid day (about 11-2). If we are out then, I made the kids stick to the shade. And, my kids don't have lovely olive skin; they are white-white. Even when tanned, they are very light.

Us, too. We only use sunscreen if we're going to the beach for the day and I know the kids will be a little more exposed and unable/unwilling to keep their hats on. They wear rashguards while swimming so it's only forearms and faces, even then. They're pretty light skinned (as in pasty white!) and they do well with this approach.

We don't use sunscreen much here either. If we are going canoeing or sailing, we do use zinc.

It's hard to jet ski in the shade. ;) My kids would fry in two hours of 2-4 PM sun too.

We live near the beach, but aren't beachy people. There are times, though, when I'd rather use sun block than prevent them from having fun.

It's especially important after I just had skin cancer removed from my back. The damage had to have occurred when I was young because I haven't worn a bathing suit in 14 years.