Menu

Excellent resource for children dx'd w/ PDD/Aspergers

Guest momk2000

Guest momk2000

Another member of the board recommended this book to me several weeks ago: What does it mean to be me? A workbook explaining self-awareness and life lessons to the child or youth with high-functioning autism or Aspergers. http://www.amazon.com/Aspergers-What.../dp/1885477597

I have since ordered it, and just received the book in the mail today. I have not read the entire book through yet, but scanned through and read quite a few pages. This is an awesome resource, and I am so thankful to the person that recommended it to me.

Dd (10yrs) was dx'd with PDD-NOS just over a year ago, and when dh and I decided we were ready to discuss her diagnosis with her, we were clueless as to what to say, especially since we don't fully understand it ourselves. This is just what she needs to help her understand her differences. It is a wonderful resource for parents as well.

Dh and I now feel well prepared to have this talk with dd, which we plan to do in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for passing on the recommendation. I have yet to explain the how and whys to my 12 yr old ds other than telling him he is wired better. He was just recently diagnosed with Asperger’s, though he has been labeled in PS as learning disabled since he was 3.

This book will probably benefit my entire family. I will definitely add this book to my cart!

I'm lucky enough to have met the author and attended two seminars of hers. Catherine has a real heart for people on the spectrum. She works for the Asheville NC TEACCH center. She has another book on death and dying for kids on the spectrum.

I also have this book for my boys.:001_smile:

Guest momk2000

Dh and I talked with dd this afternoon about her diagnosis. We were both extremely nervous, not knowing what type of reaction to expect. She handled it all so well. I almost detected a sense of relief in her just as dh and I experienced when we received the news just over a year ago. We felt a sense of relief to finally have an answer for her.

This evening, before dd went to bed, she said to me: "Mom, you know, I feel really good about myself." I don't know if this was in any way related to our talk, but it was so very reassuring. :)

Edited by momk2000

I ordered the book after reading this thread, and it arrived on Wednesday. My son is excited about filling in the pages (he loves worksheets about himself lol), and I'm looking forward to working with him on some of his issues. It'll also be a great help to fill in the sensory pages. I'd love to get him some OT help this fall, now that there's a place less than 45 minutes away that takes our insurance, and I think those pages will be very enlightening.

We ordered this book when my DS was first diagnosed. He was not that interested in it - at the age of 8. Now though, he has gotten very interested in how and why he is different from other kids - sometimes seems almost depressed about it. So, we pulled out this book and it is really helping him understand what is going on.

Any other recommendations along these lines would be appreciated as well.

• 3 weeks later...

This book looks great! My 10 year old son knows he has Asperger's and what this means. He says his Asperger's makes some things easier for him and other things more difficult and it sometimes makes his head sore. I think he will really find this book helpful! Do you think this the book also suitable for a seven year old? My other son.

Thanks

Angela

(new to the forums)