Menu

Has anyone had a VBA2C?

I've read a lot of the sites about VBAC, but I am just hoping and praying this time to have a regular delivery. I don't know if there is anything else I can do to have a successful one. I certainly feel almost condemned to having c-sections here on out, if I don't delivery normally this time :(

Guest Amy in MS

Hi Philothea,

I don't want to be a downer, I hope you get what you need in terms of this birth--and above all, a healthy you and baby.

I had an emergency c-section in hospital (though I had midwives for my delivery. Things went badly, and we had to call the surgeon in).

Second c-section. I wanted VBAC, but midwives felt I really ought to not, considering my problems with the first and everything that caused the problems (surgeon agreed). So, I was happy to go with c-section because midwives were very worried about VBAC.

I moved to another state with #3, and the doctor asked if I wanted VBAC, and he felt like I could do it. I said "yes!" Next week, he came back in and said he was so sorry, but that the hospital would no longer offer VBA2C with no vaginal births because the AMA determined the chance for uterine rupture was much higher.

Well, with 4, I didn't have to even debate about c-section. C-section with no question.

Lots of people here will disagree, but this is what my awesome doctor said. Maybe your health care providers are different.

Don't feel "condemned" to c-sections. Be glad you can bear children at all.

Amy

I would suspect a lot is going to depend on why you needed the c-sec in the first place. Was it failure to progress, birth canal too small, emergency, etc?

I delivered 2 normally, followed by 2 emergency c-secs (problems with the babies, not me), followed by 4 v-bacs with zero problems. (Our second child was stillborn fullterm and simliar complications caused #4's c-sec. The 4 v-bacs were all inductions.)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25039&highlight=vbac

Hi Philothea,

I recently asked a similar question and we had a nice long thread about it. You might find some encouragement here and there are many great resources mentioned for further reading.

I'm planning a VBAC this coming December and see no reason why I shouldn't be successful. But the reason for my c-section was a very spinny baby who messed up her cord while tumbling about.

Best to you!

Jami

I had csec followed by a vbac followed by a csec. The vbac went well, no problems with the delivery. I would not attempt to do one however without some very conservative guidelines. PERSONALLY FOR ME based on my health issues (how is that for a disclaimer) I would only attempt a vbac if the baby was positioned well for delivery (no face ups or weird turns), and I had lots of monitoring with a csec team nearby, and both baby and me were in great condition and remained in great condion. AGAIN, PERSONAL choice - every body and every baby is different.

I had two VBACs after a Csection and did great. VBACs are possible. It just really depends upon the doc you have. They have insurance reasons etc for doing so. It's weird because you are at a greater health risk with a CSECT than a VBAC but docs know best, right?;) Praying for a health delivery for you.

I would suspect a lot is going to depend on why you needed the c-sec in the first place. Was it failure to progress, birth canal too small, emergency, etc?

:iagree: A lot would depend on the reason for your c-sections. I had a 4VBACs after my first, then another c-section, a VBAC after that and am planning a home-birth with this baby. My reasons for the c-sections were not emergencies, although with #1 I had developed an infection due to the # of hands that just HAD to check my progress. REally, really unnecessary and dumb but who was I to say no? I was just the patient! :glare:

Find out the reasons for your c and find a midwife or OB who is supportive of doing a VBAC...I mean really supportive, not just marginally supportive. A midwife can often help you with better birth positions for a baby who might not be in a good position for birth (the reason for many c-sections), etc.

I have a friend that had two sections (with her first two boys) and with her third was able to deliver vaginally. With that one, she had a doctor that very much supported vbacs. I think now, it's becoming such a liability with insurance companies.

Best of luck to you. I know how disappointing it can be when your birth plans don't go as planned (and I too have had a c-section). I had to remind myself that the important thing was that he was healthy.

My first was a c-section for "failure to progress" because he was in a bad position. My second was a failed VBAC after 3 hours of pushing (he was face up and got stuck in my pelvic bone). With number 3, my friend who is a doula offered to help. First she had me do exercises and stretches to help ensure baby was in the proper position prior to labor. Second she advised me to not be induced (I was induced with both the first 2 for slightly medical reasons but not urgent ones). Well baby number 3 arrived like a lightening bolt. I went from 6 to delivered in under 30 minutes with NO pushing (no doctor so my doula had me breathing through them trying to stall). Despite that super easy birth my OB with #4 really tried to convince me I NEEDED a c-section. She just kept citing the .5 - 1% risk of uterine rupture. But she failed to mention that the rate of uterine rupture is only slightly lower for those who have never had a c-section and that my risks really weren't that much higher. Plus we believe in allowing God to control our family size and consequently, the risk of complications to future pregnancies and babies was actually higher with having another c-section than my current risk was for a uterine rupture. Finally she allowed me to "try" but of course insisted I be constantly monitored etc. Well baby #4 was pretty easy to. It took about 2 hours to go from 6 to 10 and 2 pushes. But it was still a piece of cake compare to recovery from c-sections. Doctors are so worried about possible lawsuits, I think they just naturally advise to go with a c-section because then they aren't likely to be found at fault. Even though there are plenty of risks with a c-section (i.e., infection, surgery complications etc), the doctors seems to like to minimize those. I be having my third VBA2C in August. I had to switch doctors (from the one who delivered #4 to the one who delivered #3) because of an insurance change. While she is willing to let me VBAC again, she had to "warn" me about all the possible risks. That's fine. I know I can do it. I do really recommend getting a doula, they can help in so many ways that doctors and nurses can't. My doula taught me to use combs in the pressure points in my hands. They worked so well I never needed ANY kind of pain medicine. The medical staff just shook their heads because

they had never seen or even heard of using the combs.

Good Luck

I went through this decision, and my MD was willing to do this, although none of his former partners would have. However, the chance of rupture is 1 in 5, so I chose not to (there's more, but I won't go into it.) I decided that with 2 young children I'd have the C-section and don't regret it, even though I never, ever wanted to have one and really wanted a VBAC2. However, I weight the pros and cons, the risk/benefit ratio. Also, I've learned since that I would have ended up with stage 3 prolapse had I done that, so it saved a repair surgery. We're all different, and do not allow anyone to pressure you. I'm just sharing what I opted to do. btw, I was nearly depressed after my first c-section because I'd wanted a natural delivery so badly. However, my dad told me I would have delivered by c-section back in 1960 when only 4 percent of deliveries were done this way--it was very much a needed operation.

The 4 v-bacs were all inductions.)

Did you have to search for an OB to induce after the two c-sections? For some reason I thought that inductions just weren't done after a c-section. I would really be interested if there are any other moms who were induced after c-sections. (I've had 3 c-sections due to large babies).

Did you have to search for an OB to induce after the two c-sections? For some reason I thought that inductions just weren't done after a c-section. (I've had 3 c-sections due to large babies).

No. And I had 3 different drs in 3 different states and none had delivered any of my other children. Only the last 2 were delivered by the same dr. I even had the last one at a birthing center. ;)

They all discussed the risks of rupture from VBAC, but none of them pushed for a c-sec (well, laughingly my dr did with the last one......he knew there was no way I would say yes.) They were cautious with the pitocin and weren't aggressive with it. They only induced if I had started dialating. (My inductions are at 38 weeks b/c for some unknown reason I have a history of strange complications during the last weeks) Once my contractions became regular and strong, they would break my water and the pitocin would not be increased at all anymore.

I should add, though, that I have always had easy labors. Even with my first my labor was under 8 hrs and by #8, under 2. So, perhaps that plays a role? I have no idea. I have always had wonderful experiences with my drs and things are always done the way I want them.