Menu

Questions About Garlic

Questions about garlic:

1. When it starts getting the green sprouts on it, is it still good to eat/cook with?

2. Can you plant the green sprouts to grow your own garlic? If so, where is better - outdoors, or can you grow them indoors year-round? If indoors, is any particular type of soil preferable?

Thank You!

1. yes. the sprouts have a milder flavor than the bulb. Perfect for a bit of extra yumminess in a stirfry or salad.

2. Yes. Break the bulb apart. Each sprout with become a plant.

Thank you!

Do you recommend growing them indoors year-round? Is any type of soil preferable? (Years ago I used to grow indoor plants, like African violets, and you had to buy that specific soil to get good results. That's why I'm wondering if any particular type of planting soil should be used for growing garlic indoors).

I didn't realize you could also eat the sprouts! (What I don't know could fill volumes)!!!

Thanks again!

Yesterday I dug a bulb up by accident. It has spent the last few months buried in a poor quality mixture of potting mix and vacuum cleaner lint, by the looks of it. It had roots, so it couldn't have been too unhappy!

I've seen garlic greens being sold in some shops over the past year. Before that, it didn't occur to me to do that either. I wonder how many times you can harvest before you kill the bulb?

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801