Menu

Algebra 2/Trig - Ask Dr. Callahan or Foerster with Math without Borders?

Okay, I've narrowed down my choices to these two for Algebra 2. Ask Dr. Callahan, who uses a College Algebra w/Trig book, or Foerster's Algebra 2/Trig with the math without borders instruction. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? Is there one that is better suited to a particular learning style? Is one geared more toward a mathy student?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I don't like to be the first to post with a negative comment....sorry. We did not like the Dr. Callahan program. My son complained that his explanations on the DVD had nothing to do with the chapter work. He dropped the video lectures and worked through the book with his dad. Plus, Dr. Callahan has a habit of standing in front of the chalkboard so you can't see his work. This was 3-4 yrs. ago and maybe they have re-worked the videos by now. The tests that he includes in his program and just problems taken from the chapter. He gives a syllabus with the # of problems to work; then ones that weren't completed for homework are considered the test. We needed a little more hand holding for Alg ii/Trig and this program did not have that. Now, I have contacted Dr. Callahan with questions we were stuck on and he responded very quickly.

I think it was just not a good fit for us. I just do not see that the videos are worth the money in this program. Are there samples online so you can check it out for yourself?? We have not had experience with Foresters, sorry.

Thanks for replying. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I need to know everyone's opinion, negative or not. I used Dr. Callahan for Geometry, and just like you we stopped watching the videos and went straight to the book. I wasn't sure if College Algebra would be different. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Kristi

Guest CCash at AskDrCallahan

Hey there,

Just thought I would drop a line and share that our courses are not right for everyone. We tailor make our courses for students who are seriously intended to go to college and excel there. For these reasons, our courses adhere to rigorous standards that may not be the right fit for all families. If you are having trouble deciding whether or not AskDrCallahan courses are right for you, I'd encourage you to visit our website and review some of the 5-star ratings our courses have received from many parents.

http://shop.askdrcallahan.com/

Here are some other testimonials from parents whose students successfully graduated not only high school, but felt they succeeded at college because of AskDrCallahan

http://shop.askdrcallahan.com/pages/Testimonials.html

The methods we use to teach mathematics are effective, they are fun, and they work. Take AskDrCallahan, and you will exceed at college. We guarantee it.

You can actually view sample video segments at the Math Without Borders website to see if Mr. Chandler's presentation works well for you. MWB uses the Foerster's Algebra I and Algebra II w/Trigonometry books. Mr. Chandler goes over every lesson, working sample problems. I think each segment takes about 20 or so minutes.

Hey there,

Just thought I would drop a line and share that our courses are not right for everyone. We tailor make our courses for students who are seriously intended to go to college and excel there. For these reasons, our courses adhere to rigorous standards that may not be the right fit for all families. If you are having trouble deciding whether or not AskDrCallahan courses are right for you, I'd encourage you to visit our website and review some of the 5-star ratings our courses have received from many parents.

http://shop.askdrcallahan.com/

Here are some other testimonials from parents whose students successfully graduated not only high school, but felt they succeeded at college because of AskDrCallahan

http://shop.askdrcallahan.com/pages/Testimonials.html

The methods we use to teach mathematics are effective, they are fun, and they work. Take AskDrCallahan, and you will exceed at college. We guarantee it.

I appreciate your response, but I think many here would agree that Foerster's is college prep, too. As a matter of fact, I used Saxon with my oldest, and she is excelling at College Algebra at a local university. I have already narrowed down the choices to programs that are college prep. That is not my question. What I want to know is what do people like/dislike about either program. I am sure either one of them will be excellent choices to prepare my dd for college. I just want to choose the one that is best suited to her.