Menu

NCAA Eligibility

This may be a really ignorant question, but: do you have to meet NCAA eligibility requirements (using approved curriculum) to play any college sports, or do you only have to meet the requirements if you want to get a sports scholarship?

Thanks! :001_smile:

This may be a really ignorant question, but: do you have to meet NCAA eligibility requirements (using approved curriculum) to play any college sports, or do you only have to meet the requirements if you want to get a sports scholarship?

Thanks! :001_smile:

My understanding is that to be on the team, you have to satisfy NCAA eligibility requirements, whatever they are for that division, regardless of whether you have a scholarship.

I do not know what the requirements are for Div III (if any), but the NCAA website will tell you. Just google "NCAA eligibility," and it should be the first thing that pops up.

Terri

My understanding is that to be on the team, you have to satisfy NCAA eligibility requirements, whatever they are for that division, regardless of whether you have a scholarship.

:iagree:but only for first semester. I read somewhere on that site that spring semester eligibility is based on fall semester grades. Can anyone confirm this?

To play DI and DII sports, you must go through the eligibility process with the NCAA. It has two components, academic eligibility and amateur status. You register with the NCAA Clearinghouse after you finish your junior year and send in all the required documentation. You register for amateur status in April of your senior year.

http://web1.ncaa.org/ECWR2/NCAA_EMS/NCAA.html

Last time I checked, there were no requirements for DIII but things change. In fact, next year is the first year that the NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athleticss) will have an eligibility process.

www.playnaia.org

You only go through the process as a new student. I am not aware of NCAA rules about keeping your eligibility (though there likely is) but coaches do not want student athletes with academic problems on the team. When we were looking at schools, I always asked the average GPA for the team. Esp. in non-revenue sports, coaches compete to have the team with the highest GPA.

I have gone through the NCAA process for DI and currently finishing with the NAIA process. In my experience, it is not hard--just more hoop jumping.